2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Installing Hood Pins

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/06, 03:31 PM
ba2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Hood Pins

I have searched extensively for threads on hood pins. I find many pictures of Mustangs with hood pins but individual cars seem to have them in different locations. Each person had a reason for installing them where they did. And, I'd like to hear from people who have installed their own pins. Also, what was the length of the pins? It appears that there is quite a bit of material to go through, and I am afraid the pins might be too short.
Old 12/28/06, 05:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Sparco from Silverhorse racing. I set the pins just about 1/8 inch off the radiator cover. wish I had gone about 1/4 or 1/2 inches instead.
Pins are plenty long enough, hardest part was drilling through the hood.
first thing I did was set the pins in the frame then droped the hood and wiggled it a bit to give me the drill marks. Drilled a pilot hole then a larger bit to cut the hole. Had to keep checking and using the bit to wollow the hole large enough to clear.
thing to remember is the hood comes down on an angle so the hole needs to be larger than the pin. Took 2 of us about 1 hour to install.
only thing I would change/ will change, is they have a small sheet metal screw and a spring clip. by the time you get the tight enough to hold you have a small dimple in the hood. I am going to get some small SS nuts and bolts from the hardware store along with some rubber sheeting to put under the outside pin clip. then double bolt them from the underside so there is no dent in the hood.
Only other thing is cutting a hole in the hood mat, mine is kinda rough, and need to clean it up some with something sharp for a nice cut.
Attached Thumbnails Installing Hood Pins-07-mustang-mods-i-067.jpg   Installing Hood Pins-07-mustang-mods-i-057.jpg  
Old 12/28/06, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
OFF TOPIC:

That is one sharp, sexy car there Dougxox.
Old 12/28/06, 06:20 PM
Cobra R Member

thanks, Yours is pretty sharp too.
Old 12/28/06, 06:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used the Ford Racing pins and they are a little on the short side. I used a jam nut and there isn't much left.
Old 12/28/06, 07:50 PM
V6 Member

Is anybody using the cylinder locking Key hood pins ?
Old 12/28/06, 11:21 PM
V6 Member

I used a Mr.Gasket #1515 fuel pump block off as a extender plate and ran it off the rad braces, the plates holes line up the with the rad braces. Drilled the tip and taped it and cut the back off so the rad cover would sit flat, this gave it the height it needed and a nice drill spot in the hood just inside a weld spot here are a couple of pics ...sorry the car is dirty I got caught driving it late in the fall...lol I have a Steeda rad cover that should make it look cool just waiting for the silicone to cure then I can finish used both plates and did the rubber tube under the top plate oh and I have the Ford pins will get them welded when all adjusted ....have a ton of parties so I won't get out to finish till the weekend
Attached Thumbnails Installing Hood Pins-100_2972.jpg   Installing Hood Pins-100_2985.jpg  
Old 12/29/06, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

when i do mine, i'm going to spend the little extra and get the shelby radiator cover and pins..
Old 12/29/06, 05:51 PM
ba2

Dougxox & bcboy1969,
Thanks for your input. Both look great.

bcboy,
Did you have to weld the bypass plate to the radiator bracket?

Thanks,

Nat

PS. I've spent the last six years of my life on the corvette forum. I have been looking for a Mustang site as good. I may have found it.

Old 12/29/06, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is an old, but great hood pin thread. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ight=hood+pins

Unfortunately, the pics were lost in a forum rebuild awhile back. It is for an install with an aftermarket hood, but there is a step-by-step how-to in post #31 that I used, and it worked great. Ought to work for a factory hood as well. I am sure you can find pictures of Steve's (SC67Stang's) car and pins elsewhere on this forum if you're interested.
Old 12/30/06, 11:12 AM
V6 Member

bcboy,
Did you have to weld the bypass plate to the radiator bracket?
I'm thinking I will there is quite a bit of movement with the rad braces for postioning. I'm not sure how the shelby ones connect but i'm sure they just extend farther out i was orginally thinking of doing that but I didn't like were you drill though the hood I've only seen a couple pics of the under hood pics of the holes but the ones I did see were without the bottom plate.
Not a big deal but I did want to use the bottom hood plates so i moved them back 1 1/2" or so. I bet I spent an hour just moveing the top plate on the hood I saw so many pics that it becomes a personal choice. I thought the chrome coming out the plastic rad cover would look cool but cutting the rad cover would be tricky.
Old 12/30/06, 07:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Here are some shots of pin placement. As stated earlier, I wish I had moved them out about another 1/2 inch. The Sparco pins are bolted in with a nut on each side, not welded, so you can adjust the height. I guess once you have them in place you can hit them with a spot of weld.
Attached Thumbnails Installing Hood Pins-mustang-ii-007.jpg   Installing Hood Pins-mustang-ii-009.jpg  
Old 12/31/06, 04:50 PM
V6 Member

Ok finished with the hood plates, I had to just use the top plate as the bottom ones did not sit flush and this was causing the top plates not to sit flat. They do look great and i have more then enough pin. i will take some pics tomorrow of the top plates and the finished rad cover.
Old 1/1/07, 08:28 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I'm a sissy. My husband bought me these:
http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/633.html
Attached Thumbnails Installing Hood Pins-mods-004.jpg  
Old 1/1/07, 01:19 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got the Shelby CS6/GT-H pins on mine
they did come with a special braket that bolts on to stock radiator support brace, and a modified radiator cover.

once the brackets were installed, i marked the pin tips and closed the hood slightly to transfer the mark onto the underside of the hood, then drilled there.

they're not the easiest to open/close, but i love the look
Attached Thumbnails Installing Hood Pins-pins.jpg   Installing Hood Pins-sp_a0265.jpg  
Old 1/1/07, 10:11 PM
V6 Member

Whats the part# on that bag with the rad cover G.T I'll look them up at work and see what comes up..Anyways here are the finished pics again sorry she's so dirty lol...did the steeda hood struts nice mod for 10 min work
Attached Images   
Old 1/2/07, 12:07 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bcboy: the part number is the same as the standard GT sheild.
this part came from Shelby Autos, modified from an OEM Mustang GT sheild
the shelby part number is of no significance here, and i cant seem to find the Ford P/N anywhere but on the photos.. so far it seems to be 5R3Z-8C791-AAA
Old 1/3/07, 09:36 PM
V6 Member

Its a factory part they must have a jig for cutting they do look nice and that was my original plan but I thought trying to cut out the rad cover would be a pain as I have a steeda cover too.
Old 1/3/07, 11:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i just drilled into the radiator supports, where the small holes are and put in some ford racing pins but since the shafts were too short, i had to buy some pepboys hood pins and drill them out so they could fit the FRPP pins, but when i get the new hood, i will replace the brakets and buy the Shelby cover and brackets with Shalby pins
Old 6/24/07, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by G.T
i got the Shelby CS6/GT-H pins on mine
they did come with a special braket that bolts on to stock radiator support brace, and a modified radiator cover.

once the brackets were installed, i marked the pin tips and closed the hood slightly to transfer the mark onto the underside of the hood, then drilled there.

they're not the easiest to open/close, but i love the look
Where did you buy the hood pin kit ?

Thank you

Quick Reply: Installing Hood Pins