2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/04, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts, now that I've finally seen one in person (probably one of the last people here to see one in person ).

1. Definitely better looking in person.
2. Front end is really nice, can't say anything bad about it. Even the covers over the headlights did not bother me one bit. I think Ford hit it out of the park in that regard.
3. Noticed that unlike the pictures I have seen, the opening in the lower bumper (below the grill) was not entirely open -- it was four segments, the outer two were solid, the inside ones were open.
4. The mirrors do not look all that big from the front or side, but the actual size of the glass is *much* bigger than on an SN95. Kinda like them for that, they don't stick out but I bet you can see a lot more behind you.
5. The tail looks big in pictures, but looks perfectly sized in person.
6. The interior looks better in pictures than it does in person. I really did not like the chrome rings around the guages at all, way too shiny. (this '05 had the IUP, so there was all the aluminum as well)
7. Tires to not look bad to me from the side, even though they are a little taller. I did think they looked a bit narrow from the back, however.
8. Muffler cans weren't *that* noticable, but I'd still paint them black.

I did not get to sit inside, or see the engine, because there was no Ford guy there and the car was locked. I'm quite dissapointed, in fact, because I would have expected a better effort from Ford at a three day event hosting 1400 privately owned Mustangs. COME ON FORD, WE EXIST, AND WE HAVE A CRAPLOAD OF MUSTANGS IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST. At least SVT showed up, but all they were doing was selling apparel (got myself a nice SVT ballcap for $10, at least it was cheap...). They did have a 5.0L cammer motor on display -- doesn't really look any different from a 4.6L to me .

Someone can jump in and call BS on me, but I'm guessing that the Mustang I saw was a production line Mustang. It was torch red with a black cloth interior and the IUP, and had a VIN number starting with 1ZV ... (whatever, can't remember past that and I didn't bother taking a picture). And the serial was 100048, so that makes it what, 48th produced out of that batch of 120 they ran off a few weeks ago?

Oh, and one thing I did notice -- build quality on this one was subpar, even by SN95 standards. Trunk lid fit almost perfectly, but the driver side door was noticably out of alignment towards the bottom, and the hood was noticably out of alignment on the passenger side. Not a good demonstration of the capability of the AAI plant.

Dave
Old 7/18/04, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Something else -- I've heard people ask about the shifter. This one was in either first or third gear, and there was a good four or five inches of clearance between the **** and the center stack. Not going to hit it with your knuckles, as some people have worried. I wish I could have sat inside and worked the shifter myself though, I'm curious as to how short the lever is and how much of it's apparently short length is just the console being raised. Not sure I'm happy about that, if Ford just raised the console, it'll be *harder* to get a short throw shifter to fit right.

Dave
Old 7/18/04, 06:22 PM
Cobra Member

I still haven't seen one so I'm relying on the impressions of people who have. I don't think that was a production model you saw though.

Where did you see it?
Old 7/18/04, 06:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good analisis! (Sorry bout da spelling!) I saw it last year at the auto show but it was up on a platform so I didn't get to see all or sit in it but the door was open and it was Redfire and I loved it. In fact, my whole family loved it. I say Ford did a "Grade A" job.
Old 7/18/04, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

You're not the last person to see one in person. I have yet to see one. Wisconsin is apparently too hick for Ford to bring a car here
Old 7/18/04, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by HairyCanary@July 18, 2004, 6:11 PM
Oh, and one thing I did notice -- build quality on this one was subpar, even by SN95 standards. Trunk lid fit almost perfectly, but the driver side door was noticably out of alignment towards the bottom, and the hood was noticably out of alignment on the passenger side. Not a good demonstration of the capability of the AAI plant.

Dave
I can vouch for the capabilities of the AAI plant. I have a 2004 Mazda 6 and the build quality is excellent.
Old 7/18/04, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@July 18, 2004, 4:39 PM
I can vouch for the capabilities of the AAI plant. I have a 2004 Mazda 6 and the build quality is excellent.
Yeah, I figure that's got to be the case, I've only heard good things about AAI. Maybe the one I saw was not one of the production ones -- but from the VIN, I really get the feeling it was.. Probably still trying to work out the assembly bugs :shrug:. This one was not meant to be in the show, either -- Ford only brought it to the Northwest because last week they held dealer training in Seattle. They didn't realize that we had a nice big show this weekend until they got here, from what I've been told.
Old 7/18/04, 07:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by USA-Adam@July 18, 2004, 6:37 PM
You're not the last person to see one in person. I have yet to see one. Wisconsin is apparently too hick for Ford to bring a car here
Search on the inter-web-net for the BIGGEST show in your state or in a neighboring state. They should have one there and if not, send like 100 e-mails complaining to Ford!
Old 7/18/04, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MustangMan311+July 18, 2004, 7:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MustangMan311 @ July 18, 2004, 7:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-USA-Adam@July 18, 2004, 6:37 PM
Search on the inter-web-net for the BIGGEST show in your state or in a neighboring state. They should have one there and if not, send like 100 e-mails complaining to Ford! [/b][/quote]
Chicago will have a show but I don't think I'll be able to view it because of my work schedule.
Old 7/18/04, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

Where's the Chicago show? I'll bring my video camera this time...

The car you saw was probably another mule, might've been taken apart and put back together...
Old 7/18/04, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Since there are so many pictures already available, I only took a couple of shots today. Here's what I got:

My favorite angle looking at this car:

Has this always been this way? I lightened the picture to show what I'm talking about -- the openings on the side are blocked. I thought the mules had them all open?

I took a picture of the top of the wing, I notice it has a slope down the top that I hadn't seen before. The leading edge of the wing is quite flat, also. Not that it's supposed to be aerodynamic, I know.

And the requisite butt shot. I personally thought it looked just fine from the back, the pictures make it look bigger. Don't actresses complain that TV does the same thing??

Also, forgot to mention earlier -- I did a quick & dirty measurement of wheel well gap. There was four fingers of width in front and back (front wheel), and four and a half fingers on top. I didn't find the gap particularly offensive, but I do think I would opt to drop it about a half inch or so.

Dave
Old 7/18/04, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

In that last shot I notice that the tailpipes sure do look *cute*, don't they? (that's not a compliment ). Bigger tips might fill out the openings better.
Old 7/18/04, 09:00 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nice pix man. thanx for the info
Old 7/18/04, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by FrankBullitt05@July 18, 2004, 8:25 PM

The car you saw was probably another mule, might've been taken apart and put back together...
I am not sure where the show is exactly, but I know I read in somebody's post here that the Mustang, along with a bunch of the other 2005s were going to be there.
Old 7/18/04, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Darn you! Now I'm leaning towards getting torch red. Great pics.. Thanks!
Old 7/18/04, 09:40 PM
GT Member

OMG TORCH RED. This color grows on me more and more. The contrast up front with the black grille and the black insert in the lower valance is bloody awesome.

I think this is the color for me. (And I've never once owned anything but a black car!)
Old 7/18/04, 09:53 PM

i finally seen the 05 in tampa over the weekend and yes it is soooo much better in person i wanted to add that i noticed something that i didnt know was talked about and thats the driver and passenger side windows automatically come down a bit when the door is opend i asked the reason for this and the ford guys said it was for making a better seal.... the window goes up when the door is closed.
Old 7/18/04, 10:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by HairyCanary@July 18, 2004, 6:11 PM

Dave
A group of Bullitt and Mach 1 owners toured AAI in early April and were fortunate to see the new body shop. There was MUCH consideration being given to reducing gaps in the body panels. The tour guides showed us the welding robots and the new production capabilities they were bringing to bear. They were quite extensive and impressive. The number of checks being done by automated means was especially eye opening.

I would suspect what you saw was not representative of what could be expected by the time production starts. As compared the DAP and the current body structure, I would bank on a high level of fit and finish. The plant tour convinced me that the probability of seeing much better builds is higher than ever.
Old 7/19/04, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by USA-Adam+July 18, 2004, 9:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (USA-Adam @ July 18, 2004, 9:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FrankBullitt05@July 18, 2004, 8:25 PM

I am not sure where the show is exactly, but I know I read in somebody's post here that the Mustang, along with a bunch of the other 2005s were going to be there. [/b][/quote]
I think it will be at the Odeum in Villa Park, Il Aug. 7th, but you have to register with Ford, it's there test drive thing.
Old 7/19/04, 06:55 PM
FR500 Member

The more I see Torch Red, the more I like it too. That red with the black and chrome accents... sweet.

Quick Reply: Impressions