2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Important Question About Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/04, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before we get started I would like to introduce myself. I reside in Long Beach, California and I'm an Electrical Engineer specializing in DVRs Installation for ProtechPC. Since I've seen the new Mustang I have been a complete fan but today I went to purchase one and I was deeply dissapointed. The car felt very cheap in the inside from the steering wheel to the guage covers and the seat was mighty high it did not feel like a sport car in the slightest use of the term. Me being 6' 4'' I felt quite engulfed in the confines of very cheap plastic and it made the setting very unpleasant. Mind you I was sitting inside a v6 if that is relevant to the situation presented. I would like to ask those of you who have sat in a GT is there a difference in the materials between the two? Because I find it disturbingly odd that a bargain basement car like a Kia could have a better interior then an American classic such as the Mustang. Any help that you can provide me with will be deeply appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10/18/04, 03:11 PM
GT Member

A kia? You compare the interior to a Kia? People like you donot deserve a Mustang.
Old 10/18/04, 03:12 PM
FR500 Member

Don't feed the Troll's
Old 10/18/04, 03:13 PM
Cobra Member

I think you are going to have to sit in a GT, and compare for yourself. There are a couple of packages that makes the interior look and feel different.
Old 10/18/04, 03:14 PM
wrb
V6 Member

Opinions vary. If you feel that way then buy a Kia.
Old 10/18/04, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Mineral05GT@October 18, 2004, 1:14 PM
A kia? You compare the interior to a Kia? People like you donot deserve a Mustang.
Sir I would highly appreciate it if you would post only after you have recieved your license and not before. Any person that has money deserves a Mustang sir so only serious replies. I said that to add more flare to my story do not take everything so literal people. I'm deeply interested in buying a Stang I just want to know if there is a difference between the GT and v6's interior.
Old 10/18/04, 03:16 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Kamikaze@October 18, 2004, 3:17 PM

Sir I would highly appreciate it if you would post only after you have recieved your license and not before. Any person that has money deserves a Mustang sir so only serious replies.
LOL I have my license and my 05 GT will be here any day SIR.
Old 10/18/04, 03:18 PM
FR500 Member

Come back when you have at least 38 pieces of flare.
Old 10/18/04, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this should do the trick
Old 10/18/04, 03:20 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Forget the cheap, wimpy Mustang. It is not worth it.

If you want a pleasant setting, expensive materials, and top quality, buy a Mitsubishi Eclipe. And being 6'4", it'll fit you to a T.
Old 10/18/04, 03:22 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@October 18, 2004, 3:23 PM
Forget the cheap, wimpy Mustang. It is not worth it.

If you want a pleasant setting, expensive materials, and top quality, buy a Mitsubishi Eclipe. And being 6'4", it'll fit you to a T.
You are correct SIR.
Old 10/18/04, 03:28 PM

You guys have me all wrong. I love the Mustang, I love the sound, the style, the speed but I just want to know if the GT offers any interior upgrades that make it feel less cheap. It's disturbing to see grown men act like children because someone is not happy with the package FoMoCo has presented to us. I just asked one simple question it is not rocket science. Does the GT come with better quality materials for the interior then the v6?
Old 10/18/04, 03:31 PM
GT Member

Wow guess you guys haven't learned how to treat people decently. It is a legit question and is obviously just his opinion

Answer to your question: There is an Interior Upgrade Package which includes aluminum dash and some other things, you can read about it and compare pictures here: http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/

By the way the Interior Upgrade Package is available on the GT and V6 models.
Old 10/18/04, 03:37 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Kamikaze@October 18, 2004, 3:12 PM
Before we get started I would like to introduce myself. I reside in Long Beach, California and I'm an Electrical Engineer specializing in DVRs Installation for ProtechPC. Since I've seen the new Mustang I have been a complete fan but today I went to purchase one and I was deeply dissapointed. The car felt very cheap in the inside from the steering wheel to the guage covers and the seat was mighty high it did not feel like a sport car in the slightest use of the term. Me being 6' 4'' I felt quite engulfed in the confines of very cheap plastic and it made the setting very unpleasant. Mind you I was sitting inside a v6 if that is relevant to the situation presented. I would like to ask those of you who have sat in a GT is there a difference in the materials between the two? Because I find it disturbingly odd that a bargain basement car like a Kia could have a better interior then an American classic such as the Mustang. Any help that you can provide me with will be deeply appreciated. Thank you.
Well, I felt compelled to add my 2 cents here. I drive an 01 Hyundai Accent as a winter "beater", so I know what the quality of the Kia's interior is like (they're twin cars, after all). It's better than I expected for such a cheap car. However, having said that, it's not up to par with my 7 year old Cobra. The only truly nice thing in the Accent is the soft-touch cup holder than pops out....yippie. I was fortunate enough to sit in an 05 GT with the upgraded interior, and it is worlds ahead of either of my cars. And also being 6'4", I didn't find room to be an issue in the new 'stang. :scratch: It sits low enough, is comfortable, and has an excellent quality interior.
Old 10/18/04, 03:42 PM
GT Member

.....look cheap?? I don't think so!!!
Old 10/18/04, 03:45 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Kamikaze,

It is a tough way to introduce yourself to the site with criticism of the car, just doesn't go over well with most enthusiats.

Other than the seats, I believe the rest of the interior parts are common to all Mustangs. I have sat in two and had a opportunity to drive one. I feel the interior fit and finish is really good and a quantum leap over the outgoing car.

If you don't feel that way, I guess we can agree to disagree, but check out the GT anyways just to be sure.
Old 10/18/04, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by wantan05@October 18, 2004, 1:34 PM
Wow guess you guys haven't learned how to treat people decently. It is a legit question and is obviously just his opinion

Answer to your question: There is an Interior Upgrade Package which includes aluminum dash and some other things, you can read about it and compare pictures here: http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/

By the way the Interior Upgrade Package is available on the GT and V6 models.
Thank you so much for your assistance. That problem is, is that my dealership only has a base model v6 so I couldn't see any of the goodies that come with the GT. I've heard about the IUP and that was what I was going to purchase from the beginning but after I saw the stang today I was quite reluctant to sign anything. I'm going to see if they update any of the dash materials or things of that nature in the IUP because I really want a Mustang. Also I'm sorry to add more fuel to the fire but I find it very odd that some of you guys claim to know a lot about motor vehicles, then turn around and try to disrespect by saying "I'm a ricer" for owning an Eclipse. If you kids would pick up a book you would know that the Eclipse, Talon, and Laser were created through a joint venture between Mitsubishi and Chrysler known as Diamond Star Motors "DSM." These cars were manufactured in Normal, Il to be exact thus making my car primarily American. The first fully Japanese model of the eclipse was in 99 after Chrysler cut their lineup. Thank You.

Kamikaze,

It is a tough way to introduce yourself to the site with criticism of the car, just doesn't go over well with most enthusiats.

Other than the seats, I believe the rest of the interior parts are common to all Mustangs. I have sat in two and had a opportunity to drive one. I feel the interior fit and finish is really good and a quantum leap over the outgoing car.

If you don't feel that way, I guess we can agree to disagree, but check out the GT anyways just to be sure.
Well it wasn't truely an introduction considering that I've been here longer than all those who have flamed me. It was just a prologue to try to disassociate myself with trolls if you understand what I'm trying to say.
Old 10/18/04, 03:53 PM
Bullitt Member

No offense, but judging by your current car (a Mitusbishi Eclipse), I doubt the Mustang is something you want. My friend has an Eclipse and the only thing I ever hear out of his mouth is "My car has the most amazing interior ever." I'm not joking either. If you're really so intent on high quality plastics, go buy a Honda, or some other Japanese car - seriously. I've been in the Eclipse and find nothing remarkable about the car. I definitely didn't get too jolly over the FWD 2.3L 140 some odd horsepower inline 4. I can get that in a Focus, or even a Cavalier! (By the way, he owns a new Eclipse, not a DSM car. Most of the guys here know a lot about cars, you just don't give them a chance. DSM cars are pretty widely known .. they are sometimes fast when modded.)

Also I'm sorry to add more fuel to the fire but I find it very odd that some of you guys claim to know a lot about motor vehicles, then turn around and try to disrespect by saying "I'm a ricer" for owning an Eclipse. If you kids would pick up a book you would know that the Eclipse, Talon, and Laser were created through a joint venture between Mitsubishi and Chrysler known as Diamond Star Motors "DSM." These cars were manufactured in Normal, Il to be exact thus making my car primarily American. The first fully Japanese model of the eclipse was in 99 after Chrysler cut their lineup. Thank You.
Most Japanese cars aren't in fact Japanese at all. The Toyota Camry is also manufactured here in America. Actually, you bring up a valid point by saying that, but it's inconsequential. Some of the newer VWs and Porsches have quality problems and yet they STILL have higher perceived quality than reality brings. Japanese cars are much the same. American cars have terrible perceived quality, yet their actual quality is at or above some of the Japanese. There is always a bit of a lag.

That said, the plastics in the interior aren't what the Mustang buyer values first. Nobody here would own one if it was. I'm not even saying the plastic is cheap - I personally have never seen the new car in person so I wouldn't know. That said, it's your money, it's your decision. I just think you're looking at the wrong car if the first thign you looked at was the (highly improved) interior. I'll say this: The interior without IUP looks dull. I don't think it looks cheap, it just lacks brightness from what I've seen in the pictures. IUP is an inexpesive (relative) option. Might as well splurge for it if you still want the car.
Old 10/18/04, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

If one looks at the reviews and some impressions from board members, there is absolutely no reason not to check out the IUP. From what I understand, it's pretty simple.

Standard interior =
IUP =

Check one out.
Old 10/18/04, 03:59 PM
scs

Welcome Kamikaze,

You will get some very negative feedback here from various individuals.
I'm not one of them. I am also an Engr (Major EE, minor ME) and I've very
recently sat, for the first time, in a GT with the IUP. I'm not sure whether the V6
you sat in had the IUP? I was not overly impressed with the IUP. The leather
seats, electric, on the hand did have a very nice feel to them, comparable to
my loaded 03 Yukon XL with leather. The quality of the design and assembly
appears to be what was intended, but what was intended was not top of the line,
ex. many plastic fasteners where there should be screws. The doors on the 05 do
feel much, much better then the prior year (s??) in that they feel much more solid
when they open and close. The headliner felt hollow, not quite what I expected.
Over all, compared to other vehicles I've looked at over the previous year, probably
worth the money. Monte Carlo was/is my second choice while I wait for more
opinions and I wait for them to start the build on my V6/manual/IUP at the end
of November.

Regards,

SCS

Quick Reply: Important Question About Quality