2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Illuminating The Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/06, 08:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed a lighting system in their engine bay? I'm looking for a solution that woud not require drilling, cutting or hacking but rather a plug n' play that could be manually shut off during day hours etc. Idealy it would illuminate the new plenum cover I am anticipating. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 1/1/06, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Funny you should ask this. I went to a local car show last night. It was out doors and lighting was poor. The only cars you could get a good look at the motor were the ones which had lighting. One guy had three small floresent tubes one on each side and one longer in the back. It did a nice job of illuminating his engine compartment. His car was red and the lights were red. Nice combo. I plan to look into this for my GT.
Old 1/29/06, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a site with some interesting items for lighting up your call. The site is called Cool Neon, and it not what you really expect from Neon. It is not a standard neon tube, but more of a flexible string type neon that can easily be run anywhere, and better yet, it runs on AAA batteries!

I use this for some highlighting on my Trunk mat, nice and easy.
Old 1/29/06, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Went to the web site. http://www.coolneon.com/index.html. Does it put out enough light to light up an engine bay?
Old 1/29/06, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by SRQ05GT@January 29, 2006, 8:49 PM
Went to the web site. http://www.coolneon.com/index.html. Does it put out enough light to light up an engine bay?
Here is a shot of my Trunk Lid Mat so that you can get an idea. This is the 5' version in Blue.

What is cool about this stuff is that you can route it any way you want and most angles are no problem.
Old 2/2/06, 09:34 PM
GT Member

Hmm, i've been looking into this myself. Within the next week I will be setting myself up with some lighting in there. I will be using extremely bright leds.
Old 2/2/06, 09:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You could try some old christmas lights! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 03:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm not sure how "nice" you can make it look, but I have a set of 12volt flouresant drop lights from Ace Hardware that I use on our explorer.

I had them mounted under the hood, above the front tires (I don't have inner fenderwells anymore). With the 2 lights on I could work on the sides of the motor no problem.. I could also work on the suspension behind the tires. (actually To see the top of the engine I would hang one from the hood.

Another option is those little 12 volt neon tubes (I have a couple green, 6 inch long ones). They put out more light than I would have expected and they are small enough you could mount them to look nice.

~Mark
Old 2/11/06, 04:29 PM
GT Member

O.K. here's a suggestion. I went to my local Streamlight dealer and bought two Streamlight Clip Mates. They run about $12.00- $14.00 Uses three AAA batteries, & have three LEDS ( I got mine in white LED, they come in white and green).
The batteries last 120 hrs and the lights have a swivel, almost alligator type clip on the end. I clip mine to the holes in the underside of the raised hood when at shows and swivel the light to point at the items I want to highlight in the dark. It works very well. In fact, with one of Hireman's skeleton ponies, the white LED makes the skeleton's bones jump out. People were very impressed with the skeleton, it looked like the skeleton bones were glowing. The lights are small and most people did not see the lights, but noticed the illumination on the intake plenum cover and the ponies.
Old 2/12/06, 07:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire05GT @ February 11, 2006, 6:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
O.K. here's a suggestion. I went to my local Streamlight dealer and bought two Streamlight Clip Mates. They run about $12.00- $14.00 Uses three AAA batteries, & have three LEDS ( I got mine in white LED, they come in white and green).
The batteries last 120 hrs and the lights have a swivel, almost alligator type clip on the end. I clip mine to the holes in the underside of the raised hood when at shows and swivel the light to point at the items I want to highlight in the dark. It works very well. In fact, with one of Hireman's skeleton ponies, the white LED makes the skeleton's bones jump out. People were very impressed with the skeleton, it looked like the skeleton bones were glowing. The lights are small and most people did not see the lights, but noticed the illumination on the intake plenum cover and the ponies.
[/b][/quote]

Wow - thanks for the info [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Got me a project today!
Old 2/12/06, 08:08 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTAS @ February 12, 2006, 9:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Wow - thanks for the info [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Got me a project today!

[/b][/quote]

Dave, that is the light. It works great. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Took me awhile to find a website selling it. No idea if this is cheaper than what you guys paid for yours. If anyone else is looking for at least one vendor here is a link: http://streamlight-flashlights.com/61101.html

I like the idea as well. Might do this when I get my car also.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 04:10 PM
GT Member

http://www.ussurplussales.com/cgi-bin/Soft....exe/?E+scstore

Try this web seller. The owners name is Steve and he sells Streamlight products. I bought my Clip Mate from him @ $14.00 each. He does a lot of internet sales to Gov. and LE agencies and individuals. Great guy to deal with. Tell him Bill from Apopka referred you.

Nice thing about Streamlight is the life time, anything goes wrong replacement warranty. They are a Streamlight distributor and warranty service place also. He is located in Apopka, Florida, which is just outside Orlando, FL.
Old 2/13/06, 04:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire05GT @ February 13, 2006, 6:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
http://www.ussurplussales.com/cgi-bin/Soft....exe/?E+scstore
Try this web seller. The owners name is Steve and he sells Streamlight products. I bought my Clip Mate from him @ $14.00 each. He does a lot of internet sales to Gov. and LE agencies and individuals. Great guy to deal with. Tell him Bill from Apopka referred you.

Nice thing about Streamlight is the life time, anything goes wrong replacement warranty. They are a Streamlight distributor and warranty service place also. He is located in Apopka, Florida, which is just outside Orlando, FL.
[/b][/quote]

Perfect! I've been trying to find a place that has a majority of the stuff I buy when I deploy. He has a lot to choose from and good prices on top of that!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 05:12 PM
GT Member

He does lots of business with military people and alphabet agencies. He ships stuff to Afghanistan and Iraq quite often and gets it there fast for our troops. If anyone has any problems with anything he sells after the initial sale, he makes it right FAST. He is one of the last great customer service guys left around. I have known Steve for over 20 years and have nothing to say but good things about him and the way he does business. (No, I do not work for him, nor get promotional considerations) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

This is part of his business that you can find the Streamlight Clipmate product description and pricing, etc.

http://www.southernce.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart...s.htm?E+scstore
Old 2/15/06, 08:26 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Dang darn...you guys made me buy something else!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Thanks for the tip and the link!!
Old 2/20/06, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Apopka, FL!?!?!? I live there! Where is he located? I saw the number, I might give him a call to check them out in person
Old 2/20/06, 12:42 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rony1976 @ February 20, 2006, 11:44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Apopka, FL!?!?!? I live there! Where is he located? I saw the number, I might give him a call to check them out in person
[/b][/quote]

He is in the Mosquito Creek building at Washington and 441.
Old 2/25/06, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
The Tapper

lol
Old 3/2/06, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

um what about just taking a light from another car and installing it in the mustang? my yukon has an underhood light that has a mercury switch in it. i am going to buy one from the dealer and just screw it in and connect it to the fusebox. sounds good?

Quick Reply: Illuminating The Engine Bay