2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Was I Stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/05, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by stang101@July 10, 2005, 1:38 PM
Dont worry about the flames I got them too go for what you want to get i had to decide from a 04 Roush vert brand spankin new or a 05 V6 so i took the V6 i wish they would have let me take the cobra R YEAH RIGHT it only has 23 miles on it but go for a 05 V6 or someting, but the word ROUSH is what will bump your insurance up.Whatever you choose i hope you have fun....and guys give the kid a break im also 16!!

Give the kid a break .Uh-huh.
He's had two accidents and piled up a brand new car. The best break he could get at my house would be a bus pass. Are his parents gonna keep buying him cars until he kills himself?

Seriously, step back and think about this before you go get another car. Have you earned this privilege and the trust of who is paying for all this?

Please be careful ,whatever happens.
Old 7/10/05, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Pitch Black@July 9, 2005, 11:40 PM
Ok.. I had the chance to order a mustang any way i wanted it.. and i decided to take a v6 off the lot.. we'll i was going to trade it in before my dog scratched the heck outta my bumper the 2nd week i had it. and Then About 2 months later i had a fender bender, a truck bowed up and stoped and hit the hitch and put a hole in my bumper and a dent in my hood. I had just reordered all of the parts and we'll i was driving home going about 40-45mph around a small curve not sharp. And it skids slide ways gain control for second and slides the other way slamming head on into a tree.. Personally ihave to give this car a 5* out of 5* on it's durabilty.. Now skidding you gain speed and i hit the tree so hard that i did either a complete 360 and landed on the road as if i was driving and the tree jumped out at me. We'll they totaled it out. And got 20,000 out of it and bought another one.. A even better v6 due to the current gas prices. Again i could have had any stang. and Now i got an engine misfire at 3500miles. I have another chance to trade this car in around November not for any ordered but i any car on lot or they can get.. Up to about $30,000. And i seen a really nice Roush Mustang at a local dealer should i trade it or stay with the v6 for gas prices an insurance being i'm only 16 or should i go all out and get a GT or Roush GT ? Roush GT $28,000.
Let me know what ya think
Buy a mini pick up, come back when your 25
Old 7/10/05, 11:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Take the car back, and get yourself something smaller. You have the rest of your life to enjoy performance car's, save the indulgance for later. It may kill you to have it all now so fast.
Old 7/10/05, 11:51 PM

I'm not going to go as far as to say that you've been careless when driving because I know what it's like to have teenager immortality syndrome and it's probably more naivety than carelessness, but I think the mature thing to do would be to take a step back and seriously think about what everyone is saying to you on this board. I'm fairly confident in saying that so far no one is trying to take a stab at you because of your age or your self-described track record, but you have obviously seen the response to your post and I hope you take that as a genuine concern for not only your safety, but the safety of others. I didn't really start driving until I was almost 18 (and by the way, I'm only 26 now, so I probably don't see things all that differently from the way you do), and that was purely a personal choice. You can say that maybe I wasn't ready for the responsibility, or that I was a chicken-$hit, I don't really care. But the facts are: You've stated that you're nervous behind the wheel of your car, and you've been in at least 2 car accidents within the first year of having your license. From your description (losing control on a turn and 360ing into a tree head-on) you were lucky to get out alive. Now, IF you're paying your own insurance, you're going to have a healthy reminder of what it means to lose control of your car just from your last two accidents. But eventually, your insurance rate will go down, so you'll get over it. But what if the next time it's another vehicle, or worse, a pedestrian? Do you have a brother or a sister? Just imagine if you lost a sibling because some highschool kid was racing around in sports car "because he could." Do you really want to risk having the injury, or possible death of an innocent person on your conscience? I'm not trying to freak you out, or sound like some crazy, over-protective wanna-be parent (give me a few more years at least, please!) but these are things that you might not be considering as much as you should be (no offense, I said might). Know your limits. If your current car is too much for you to comfortably handle, or maybe just driving in general at this point in your life isn't practical (yet again, no offense, remember I waited almost 2 years!), either way, do yourself, your family, and the other people on the street a favour, and slow down and take a step back. You have your whole life ahead of you. There'll be plenty of time to go car crazy when you reach your mid-life crisis like the rest of these old farts on here. But you have to live that long first!!

[edit: filters are nice and all, but chicken-poo just didn't have that ring to it, ya know?]
Old 7/11/05, 01:14 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@July 10, 2005, 8:03 AM
How about a nice Screaming Yellow Hummer?

What are you nuts? the last thing this kid needs is a bigger vehicle lol.... So next time he spins out and hits a tree the tree falls on the house its in front of
Old 7/11/05, 05:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

We were all 16 once. It takes time to become a good driver, you will make poor driving decisions and hopefully those bad decisions don't get anyone hurt. A first car should be a "beater" , you beat the crap out of it and learn how long it takes to stop and how fast to take a turn etc. If you hit any more trees, I would suggest a dump truck.
Old 7/11/05, 06:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think that the 4 banger,v6/ vs. v/8 debate here is useless.
Speed does not kill.
It's about driving skills and common sense.
I had a car that had over 300 hp when I was 16 and I didn't crash it.
I had cars that had less than 200 hp and didn't crash them either.
But the potential is pretty much the same in all vehicles.
If you take a corner too fast it doesn't matter if you have 50 hp under the hood or 500. I think what he needs is a good dose of head slap and some instruction.
No offense, but if your responsible then you should be able to handle anything. Until then, you should not drive at all.
Old 7/11/05, 07:17 AM

Important lesson here:

Parents, make your kids pay for their own cars/insurance. Once they run out of money they will learn by natures course that you have to be careful.
Old 7/11/05, 07:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok. ya'll have went and done it.. You all have no reason to ride my back about it.. .. I guarntee that i can do almost anything you all can. But i won't take my stang back because... crap happens it's life oh and if i could of had a hummer trust me i would have taken it.. I was taught to drive a V8 thats all i know.. OK I had probaby the worst week of my life i feel bad enough that it happened.

Edited for name calling.
Please read the rules if you have a problem with this.
Old 7/11/05, 08:00 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Pitch Black@July 11, 2005, 7:35 AM
Ok. ya'll have went and done it..
Always amusing when a teenager tells us how they wracked up a car that we all love and take care of religously. Then rants about people giving him a hard time about it.

DUH!

You didn't even bother to explain away the accidents as not your fault. Of course people are going to give you a hard time about it. What'd ya expect? sympothy cards and fuzzy warm feelings?

Boo Hoo, the mean internet people are giving me a hard time because I wracked up my brand new mustang, twice!
Old 7/11/05, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you mean are you stupid for buying the car and possibly another to wreck, YES. (that include whoever allowed the purchase also)
If you mean were you stupid for posting your misadventures on here and then thinking you wouldn't get flamed for them, YES.
Go buy an 8 year old Ranger pickup 4cyl auto, drive it till it dies, save your insurance money and maybe then you will the experience and the respect for a new vehicle of any type.
Old 7/11/05, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Pitch Black@July 11, 2005, 9:35 AM
Ok. ya'll have went and done it..

wow your reply is funny.... first off people are not riding you back, they are just speaking the truth.. the truth hurts sometimes and it does stink..second off these grumpy old ****** are speaking from experiance, something you lack.third off you say you were taight to drive a v8.. no i dont know but call me stupid, but you lost control did a 360 and hit a tree in a v6... i dont care if you were taught how to drive a 18 wheeler but it is a clear as night and day.. your not ready fo a for a v8.. driving involves alot more than push the gas pedal to go and the brakes to stop...yes you made of had the worst week of your life.. but just think about the other side of what happened if you hit someone and killed someones family..if you want people to shut up and move on then DON`T ASK WHAT WE THINK!!!!!..and if i was a mod you would be banned for you post........
Old 7/11/05, 12:07 PM

I completely agree. You asked a question and people gave you there honest opinions. If you weren't ready for them, why'd you bother asking?
No one is trying to insult you, that was not intended.
Personally, I think if you have any common sense, you already know what has to be done. Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do, but in the long run we find out that was it was the best thing to do at the time. Now, I CANNOT stress this enough... But if you are SCARED of driving your car, chances are you won't want to drive it anymore and most likely when you do decide to drive it you'll wreck out of shear fright. I'm not saying you will, but I'am saying it is a huge possibility.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 7/11/05, 12:20 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please don't get another mustang until you have learned how to drive. I am not trying to be a jerk by saying that but it is a fact. No matter how many young people say "I know how to drive" it all comes down to experience. It appears you can't handle the power of the V6 so I cringe at the fact you want a roush. I just read your post where you stated " I guarntee that i can do almost anything you all can." I really can't see how that is possible. You hardly have any driving experience and for what you posted proves that. You insurance company will also prove your lack of experience by raising your rates.

Anyway, I am not trying to flame you. You just need to realize you are not the great driver you think you are. Everyone that first gets their license should only drive a beater. That way you learn from all the dents and dings without paying for it in the long run. You learn from your mistakes and move on. The fact that you bought another mustang tells me you haven't learned anything yet.
Old 7/11/05, 12:25 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by spaceman12321@July 11, 2005, 7:20 AM
Important lesson here:

Parents, make your kids pay for their own cars/insurance. Once they run out of money they will learn by natures course that you have to be careful.
Exactly, for all the parents that insist on buying their kids a new shiny car for their b-day should insist that their kids pay for the insurance. Once they pay for an accident and see their rates climb all of a sudden they learn how to drive properly. All I can say is when my kids turn 16 they can buy their own car. That is what I had to do and let me tell you, my 77 stang may have been a beater but I definately treated it a lot better than my friends treated their parents cars.
Old 7/11/05, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

The kids do appreciate it much much more when they have to pay for their own things !!

Matt
Old 7/11/05, 12:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

No offense but I think you need something with bit less power. With a Roush you're really gonna have a tough time keeping it on the road. I hope to God for your safety that they will not buy you another high powered vehicle right now.

Also we are not all old
grouch's
. I am only 23. I have bought all of my vehicles myself and have been on my OWN policy since day one.

but i've only had a year street wise driving i've had 4years off road and back road high speed driving and i can handle a car at high speeds decent
I only had a year of street driving when I bought my second Stang. I drove it all year round except in snow. You seem to have the "Invincebility" complex that many younger drivers have.

You also seem to take offense to what these guys have to say. The problem is that you kind of opened the can of worms yourself. These are just their opinions as this is mine.

Overall you really need to practice driving some more. Not to insult you but it seems that your skills need to be a bit more fine tuned.

As for the comment calling the other members
that is unacceptable. Acting like that is truly showing your age and won't be tolerated by the moderators on this site.

Here is a link to the rules. I suggest reading them before getting so vulgar next time.

Forum Rules
Old 7/11/05, 12:49 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I don't mind if we are called ******....

P - Proud
R - refined
I - individual
C - complements
K - killer
S - stang
Old 7/11/05, 12:50 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
"Was I stupid?" is the name of the thread.
They answer, and you get all in a huff.
You brought it on yourself.

Actions speak louder than words...you can preach all day about your 'mad skillz' but we aren't dumb.... 16 year old + v8 isn't a good idea as a whole... experience or not, it also shows in attitude.
And most of us aren't 'old foggies'

If you want a Roush, you might as well add 10-20k for funeral expenses ....for you or someone you may put in a pine box....
Old 7/11/05, 12:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Boomer@July 11, 2005, 2:53 PM
"Was I stupid?" is the name of the thread.
They answer, and you get all in a huff.
You brought it on yourself.

Actions speak louder than words...you can preach all day about your 'mad skillz' but we aren't dumb.... 16 year old + v8 isn't a good idea as a whole... experience or not, it also shows in attitude.
And most of us aren't 'old foggies'

If you want a Roush, you might as well add 10-20k for funeral expenses ....for you or someone you may put in a pine box....
That couldn't be more honest or to the point Maybe it will wake him up.

Quick Reply: Was I Stupid?