2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I saw my car today

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/05, 09:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I did it. I went to the dealership to visit my car. They handed me the keys and told me where it was parked and let me spend time alone with him. I have to say the Legend Lime color is shocking. I'm not saying it's bad, but it was shocking. I think it's something that I'll like more and more as time goes on. I'm happy with the color scheme I picked, and the trunk is huge.

I started him up. 2.5 miles is all he has, but also there's an empty gas tank, so I guess the mileage will be higher when I actually get him.

I didn't get to drive him at all, but we're starting to bond. I should say the dealership had a lot of Mustangs there. I saw 5 or 6 in the back lot, and 3 in the front. I thought the cars were harder to get than that.

My question for today: is there an on/off switch for the passenger airbag? I need to disengage mine and I'm hoping to avoid dealing with DOT.

Thanks
Old 6/7/05, 09:49 PM
Bullitt Member

there are sensors in the seat that activate/deactivate the passenger airbag depending on what's sitting in it...
Old 6/8/05, 12:15 AM
Bullitt Member

There is also a button on the dash that turns it off. Top right beside hazard light button
Old 6/8/05, 12:44 AM
FR500 Member

That's just an indicator light, not a switch. There is no switch to turn it off, it's automatic as previously stated.
Old 6/8/05, 04:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fellser@June 7, 2005, 10:46 PM
I have to say the Legend Lime color is shocking. I'm not saying it's bad, but it was shocking. I think it's something that I'll like more and more as time goes on. I'm happy with the color scheme I picked, and the trunk is huge.
Hey Lorrie, it's great you had a chance to get acquainted with your new wheels prior to taking delivery. I think you'll learn to appreciate the color even more when you see how it stands out from the pack...herd...gaggle, whatever you call a bunch of horses.

I hope you enjoy the big sky too; nothing like a convertible to awaken your senses. I borrowed a buddy's vert while I was between cars. The freedom is amazing. You'll notice all sorts of things, sights, sounds, smells, that you would have missed with a roof overhead. I went with the coupe because I'm cheap and I like the roofline, but if money were no object, I'd have a vert for those cherry weather days!

Keep us posted on his impact on your life... oh, and btw, NICE crab!
Old 6/8/05, 06:36 AM
V6 Member

Congrats on your new car! :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:
Old 6/8/05, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

if no one is in the seat it wont go off at all. I know because unfortunitley my last car had to test it out. lol.
Old 6/8/05, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah....what they said
On another note though...your cars a guy?
Old 6/8/05, 07:16 AM
GT Member

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty happy right now. I'm thinking about taking a ride there again today.

I guess I have to have the airbag deactivated. I have 5 nephews under the age of 10 and they can't sit in the front with the airbag. I did it with the Honda and wasn't a big problem to have it done legally.

My cars have always been boys. For some reason, the first two had Yugoslavian names starting with "V" (Vladko and Vladimir) and I'm from the former Yugoslavia. The Honda was called Buddy. I don't have a name in mind for this car yet, but it is a Lemon Lime male.
Old 6/8/05, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

the car will also sense weight... if the person in the front seat is a child it will usually turn it off... i think it's anything under 100 lbs and it will turn off.
Old 6/8/05, 07:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

It works well. Whenever I have my 40lb dog (named Shelby of course) sitting in the passenger seat the light goes on saying that the passenger airbag is off.
Old 6/8/05, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by DraftHorsePower@June 8, 2005, 7:21 AM
the car will also sense weight... if the person in the front seat is a child it will usually turn it off... i think it's anything under 100 lbs and it will turn off.
And to reassure you that it is off, the light next to the hazard button will light up. I would suggest before going to the trouble and expense of permanently disabling it, sit each of the boys in the seat and see what happens. This way, should an adult sit in the seat, they will still be provided with the protection of the air bag.

As I understand it, it is not advisable to deactivate the airbag in modern cars, since the system is designed to work with the seat belts. The front belts in this car have an energy management system which reduces the amount of pressure the seatbelt applies to the body. They don't simply lock in a severe crash, but slowly let out, laying you into the airbag. Thus without the air bag you passenger would be laid into the dash. OUCH!!

Air bag or not, kids are considerably safer in a booster seat in the back seat. If you must have 3 of them in your car at once, always place the largest in the front, even if he isn't the oldest.

**steps off soap box**

my source for this information is the owners manual, starting at the bottom of page 80, (the seat belt energy management feature is explained on page 83).
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techarticle...05MustangOM.pdf
Old 6/8/05, 09:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I second that. DO NOT get it permenantly disabled. The car has a weight sensor in that triggers the on/off mode. As suggested, take each kiddo around the block and see what the car/indicator does.

Personally, no one under 12 should ride in the front seat anyway.
Old 6/8/05, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

What they said! If the kids cannot all ride safely in the car, take a different car. I sure would not want to be the adult sitting in a car and knowing the airbag was disabled.

So why do you have to go to the dealer for visits with him? Waiting on the loan stuff? It won't be long now. Soon he will be at home in your garage and you can shut the door and have some privacy!

Good luck and congrats on the new ride!
Old 6/8/05, 09:44 AM
GT Member

Does anyone else have a problem with the passenger air bag light constantly flickering on and off when the wifey is in the seat. My wife weighs about 120 and I thought if the passenger weight was over 100 then the air bag is supposed to be on. It's not like 120 is that close to 100 but it flickers all the time while we're driving. Anyway to adjust the sensitivity to maybe 80 lbs or something?
Old 6/8/05, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@June 8, 2005, 1:47 AM
That's just an indicator light, not a switch. There is no switch to turn it off, it's automatic as previously stated.
I never tried to push it.......I thought it was a button........When would it light up, if there was a problem with the system? Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 6/8/05, 11:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

It will light up if someone (or something) is sitting in the passenger seat and weighs below the weight limit (100 pounds I think).

The light is there to inform you that the OCS is working properly (Occupant Classification System), and that the passenger air bag won't go off on impact.
Old 6/8/05, 03:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by puffyafros@June 8, 2005, 9:47 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with the passenger air bag light constantly flickering on and off when the wifey is in the seat. My wife weighs about 120 and I thought if the passenger weight was over 100 then the air bag is supposed to be on. It's not like 120 is that close to 100 but it flickers all the time while we're driving. Anyway to adjust the sensitivity to maybe 80 lbs or something?
Someone else had this problem:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=9181
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=186095

From the owners manual:
If a person of adult-size is sitting in the front passenger’s seat, but the
passenger airbag off or pass airbag off indicator is lit, it is possible
that the person isn’t sitting properly in the seat. If this happens, turn the
vehicle off and ask the person to place the seatback in the full upright
position, sit upright in the seat, centered on the seat cushion, with the
person’s legs comfortably extended. Restart the vehicle and have the
person remain in this position for about two minutes. This will allow the
system to detect that person and enable the passenger’s airbag. If the
indicator lamp remains lit even after this, the occupant should be advised
to ride in the rear seat.
Old 6/8/05, 04:12 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Fellser@June 8, 2005, 9:19 AM
I don't have a name in mind for this car yet, but it is a Lemon Lime male.
Good choice in color. Check out the LLR Welcome to the club

How about Kermit?
It's not easy being green

Just Kidding
Old 6/8/05, 04:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by GhostTX
The occupant should be advised to ride in the rear seat.

Guess the wife will just have to ride in the back seat

Quick Reply: I saw my car today