Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was a rush while I had it.

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/10, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a rush while I had it.

Well, long story short, I'm "growing up" and need to get a vehicle with lower insurance (I'm 22 with 1 violation) and will not involve me throwing money at it like a stripper. I'm moving to the mid west soon and while I'm sure I'd be able to drive it in the winter, I would just rather not.

I'm trading it for a Charger R/T with every option but nav. I'm really going to miss the stang. I realized that fact last night when I was returning it to stock. It's been an awesome car and I have had a blast for the last year and almost half. Along with paying the car note, my insurance was really expensive and not to mention the mod money I threw at it. The Charger will cut my insurance by 2/3rds and my car note is dropping by 20 bucks a month.

It may sound like a small change, but I have to start thinking about my future with my fiancee. I don't want to rent anymore, so a house is less than 4 years away for me. I just want to be able to provide the best for her and myself in the future. Unfortunately, the CS can't quite fit in that equation at the moment.

I fully intend on getting into another stang, maybe a GT500 down the road, but priorities have shifted just a bit. In the present.

Growing up is hard...
Old 2/2/10, 11:55 AM
V6 Member

I "harassed" you on the other board about this. Again, good luck with everything. Just remember the Ford Blue still flows through your blood.
Old 2/2/10, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
best of luck!! I'm surprised your ins will drop that much. The charger is still a v-8. Did you look at the challenger also?
Old 2/2/10, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys. I thought about a Challenger, but I just got too good of a deal on the Charger.
Old 2/2/10, 12:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Its hard being responsible.. I'm in the same boat.
Old 2/2/10, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For some reason, I got the impression you were at least 40. Hahaha No offense meant! Sorry to see another CS owner leave though. You'll definitely be back with another stang someday. I certainly did. My CS is the 3rd stang I've owned. I've also owned a '66 and a '96. Good luck with every life's decisions you make!
Old 2/2/10, 02:18 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you at least have pictures of the Charger? And tell me it's black with chrome wheels. Those are Get an SRT hood too!
Old 2/2/10, 02:53 PM

One of my old cars was a Honda S2000 when they were still pretty new, I was 21 and was paying over 3,000 a year for insurance for full coverage. I now pay $600 a month for my beater Saturn SC1. A little bit of an Ego check but still amazing I was forking out so much money back then.

I wonder what a GT will run me these days?
Old 2/2/10, 04:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd have gone for an AWD car or 4x4 if you're expecting snow; just my $0.02
Old 2/2/10, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

Your issue with driving it in the winter isn't really solved by going to a charger R/T though. It's still a powerful rear drive car.

It can be done, and in fact my GT/CS is one of the best cars I've driven in the snow regardless of drive-type. Just something I thought I'd point out however.

It would seem to me that if you really were going to get out of a car you love to be more fiscally and practically responsible, I'd be choosing something that will save you as much money as possible. Like a Honda Civic or something along those lines. That would get you into that house much quicker, and likely back into a mustang quicker as well.

Just my .02
Old 2/2/10, 05:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

civic no way now the accord thats the ticket. It has a 6er and gets the 30mpg's
Old 2/2/10, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I was also thinking about if my girl got preggo. That problem would be solved as well. I'm a pretty big guy and the Civic was absolutely killing me on the test drive. I did TD a couple of 4x4's and didn't really have anything that caught my fancy to much.

I'm so much worried about snow as I was about other things. I'm getting remote start which will be a huge plus during the winter.

Last edited by GONE_N_60; 2/2/10 at 08:40 PM.
Old 2/2/10, 09:28 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Drag Limited
One of my old cars was a Honda S2000 when they were still pretty new, I was 21 and was paying over 3,000 a year for insurance for full coverage. I now pay $600 a month for my beater Saturn SC1. A little bit of an Ego check but still amazing I was forking out so much money back then.

I wonder what a GT will run me these days?
I hope thats 600 a half or a year, and not a month

the mustangs are cheap to insure now- fortunately I'm 46 and aint had a ticket or insurance claim since I was 18...think it was only a couple hundred a year more than the old Mark VII LSC when I added the 06. Funny, I was going to drop to 2k deductible on the newer cars, and just liability on the old Mark and windstar, here they actually were able to put 50 deductible w/100% glass coverage on everything for like a extra 20 bucks a year...everyone probably should stop and talk to their agent on occasion, sometimes by just shuffling numbers they can get you the same or better policy at a lot better rate...we got 'farm bureau' discount, that costs like nothing to join, but gives big breaks on insurance...gotta think the folks that decide 'risk factors' are kinda looney in they way they discount some stuff/mark up others...think were paying about 1500 a yr now, but its full coverage on 8 cars. when I was 18 I was paying close to that for liability on one

with 4 sons, 4 mustangs, I'm expecting to be uninsurable in a few years- thinking I'll put a beater or two on a different policy all together- sorry boys, but no mustang driving till you get a job

I was 22 when I bought my first new car- sorry to say it was a camaro- and HAD to get a V6, as at under 25 there would have been NO WAY I could afford to insure a V8 one...even back in 85, the v6 ran like 1200 a year, a V8 woulda been closer to 4k. My little brother bought a beretta gt when he was 18, think it was 300 a month to insure- even though it was a V6, it was still a 'sports car' according to the insurance company...

good luck with your mopar/move/etc...when the house is squared away, kids get out of carseats, get another mustang...and if more kids than seats, get a couple

one undeniable thing about mustangs- theyre not carseat friendly at all...after a while you get better at getting your seat back in the original position first try, but...and by the way- FWIW the deep seats in the rear WILL hold the contents of a full bottle of milk if junior can get the top loose...they are semi- cleanable, but getting the covers off/on is not something I want to do again- theyres actually velcro strips glued to the foam to hold the covers tight, and the rest just hooks over tabs on the plastic seat bottom...

Last edited by ford4v429; 2/2/10 at 09:39 PM.
Old 2/2/10, 10:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
It's a shame that you have to give up the stang, but good for you for getting things squared away. if that charger is all black with chrome wheels, man do they look killer. I also thought about getting rid of the stang for a challenger, but I just paid it of a month ago and will wait 3 or 4 years til my credit cards are all payed off!
Old 2/2/10, 11:54 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can tell you first hand from experience, the suspension on the Charger is going to feel like you're trying to drive a fish tank because its going to be sloshing from one side to the other. The Hemi is good and it has a nice tone and since you say its loaded other than nav, it should have the R&T package which comes with the same exhaust the Daytona has, giving it a bit more power and a better tone. Also from first hand, the back seat is nice and spacious. The front seats weren't my favorite simply because they don't hold you in very well. Just throw in some SRT seats and you'll be fine!

Are you planning on sticking around the forums here?

And are you willing to make a trade for your Bullitt grille?
Old 2/3/10, 01:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the words folks. Its going to be tough for a while, but the bruising will eventually go away.

Antigini-GT/CS, I already parted the car out for what I could get. sorry

I think I'm going to keep the Charger completely sleeper style.

I'm going to stick around and peep in every now and then to offer my random words of non-wisdom

This site has made owning my Mustang a truly one of a kind experience.

Thanks again folks.
Old 2/3/10, 05:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

don't forget to post some pics of the charger
Old 2/3/10, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Luck on this! Sure hope you do not look back in a few years and say "Just what was I thinking" when I let my GT/CS go away? I've sure been there! CalStang
Old 2/4/10, 08:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by GONE_N_60
Thanks guys. I thought about a Challenger, but I just got too good of a deal on the Charger.

Yes, I bet these days they were VERY happy to talk to you!

Don't you feel any guilt about the murderous frenzy you initiated as the Dodge sales staff fought and clawed each other half to death to get to you?
Old 2/4/10, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

did you get it yet?

Quick Reply: I was a rush while I had it.