2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I just can't decide....

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/06, 09:33 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just can't decide....

I am thinking of buying an 06 or ordering an 07, but I just can't decide what color combo.

I love black w/ silver LeMans stripes ( like 07 Shelby GT ), but it will be hard to keep clean here in MI, and I know after having 5 black cars in a row. But it looks sooo sweet...

I like the white 07 Shelby GT look as well, w/ silver stripes, but in some angles the rear end looks very long....

I initially was going to wait for Tungsten, but decided against it when I saw the purplely reflections. However, it would be easy to keep clean and looks good on the cloudy crappy days we have here in MI. There is also an 06 GT vert w/ red accent interior in Tungsten which would cost the same as an 07 coupe.....hmmmm.

Then of course, there is always Grabber orange, Alloy, Torch Red. Crap.

So I've narrowed it down to these options:

1) 2006 GT vert black/black w/spoiler, 17" alum. wheels
2) 2007 GT coupe, black w/ silver stripes, spoiler delete, 3.55, prem. pkg, ( special order )
3) 2006 GT vert Tungsten/red int, spoiler delete, polished 18s
4) 2007 GT coupe, Grabber Orange, GT/CS pkg. 3.55, prem pkg( special order )
5) 2007 GT coupe, white/silver stripes, 3.55, spolier delete, prem pkg ( special order )

Its either order a coupe, or get an 06 vert for about the same price. I'd give up the heated seats, 3.55 axle, spoiler delete and prem pkg dash and console all for a convertible.

So help out- send some pix of these or your favorite color combo. I need help
Old 11/18/06, 09:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the white with silver stripes idea. Or did you think of maybe a grabber orange with silver stripes. Just take your time and try to decide on something unique.
Old 11/18/06, 09:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

You got basically the same weather that we have except a little colder- Stick with BLACK! Misery loves company...lol Kidding aside, nothing is better looking than black...when it's clean, as you know.
Old 11/18/06, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangsimon
I am thinking of buying an 06 or ordering an 07, but I just can't decide what color combo.

Join the club.

At least you can see them in person first. When I ordered mine in Dec '04, there weren't any around to see, because most of them were sold before they even hit the lots.

I went back and forth between black, redfire, and white for months, unable to decide... I was only looking at pics on the Internet and in brochures, and pictures are only approximations of what the paint really looks like. Only a paint chip is the real thing. I ruled out black when I saw one inside a showroom, covered with dust, fingerprints, and fine scratches, and the car had been washed that day! There were other cars in the showroom as well, and none of them showed the imperfections like the black did. My wife and daughter ruled out Redfire for me, because both my 87 GT and 95 GT were red, and they thought I needed a change. And then I ruled out white myself, since I had already owned two white Z28s.

So I actually ordered a Satin Silver coupe (w/ICAP), and then about 2 weeks later, someone else in my work building came in the parking lot with a silver V6. It wasn't at all what I thought it would be like. The other silver cars in the lot, especially the nice ones like the BMW, 350ZX, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, etc., all had great sparkling metallic silver paints. Even the VW Jetta silver paint was great. But the Mustang silver is way more subdued, almost looking gray from a slight distance. Personally, I would have rather had the bright shiny silver like the other cars, than the satin finish of the Mustang, and I realized I had to change the color if possible...

I called the salesman right away, and he said I could change it since it hadn't been scheduled yet. But I had no idea what color I really wanted still. I looked on the Internet and one dealer 20 miles away had 6 Mustangs on his lot! So at lunch I drove up to compare them. There was a white, yellow, Torch Red, Redfire, Windveil Blue, and Legend Lime. It had also snowed, which was nice, because it showed how well they hid dirt. To make a long story short, the Screaming Yellow blew me away. I'm fairly conservative by nature, so one side of my brain was saying to get the white one (w/red ICAP interior of course), but the yellow was just awesome.

When I called back the dealer to tell him, he tried to talk me out of the yellow. He told me about another guy who had bought a yellow Mustang from him, and brought it back a year later saying he couldn't take it anymore. Hehe. But I stuck with it, and about 6 weeks later I had it in my garage.

That was a year and half ago. I'm still not unhappy with the color choice, but I'm not sure I would do it again. The pros are that it really gets everyone's attention. The cons are that it really gets everyone's attention. But seriously, it is great to get compliments all the time, and it's always a conversation starter the first time people see it. It's like a show car, straight from the factory. It hides dirt very well too, and looks good even when it's a little dirty. The downside is that I can't go anywhere in anonymity. Sometimes you just want to be left alone, and that's pretty much impossible. Tinted windows might help, but pretty much everyone will be checking you out when they're stopped next to you at a light, or where ever you happen to be. And I haven't even mentioned the law, but let's face it, the officers will pay close attention to you whenever you drive by them.

Hopefully something in my experience will help you out.
Old 11/18/06, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

bummer, you elliminated the alloy. I chose alloy with black stripes and it came out better than i expected. also alloy doesn't show dirt as much as the black, my gi/f owns a black car and I compare the two. But my second choice would be black with silver stripes.

Attachment 14003
Attached Thumbnails I just can't decide....-smoken-pony-010.jpg  
Old 11/18/06, 10:47 AM
GT Member

How does the alloy look in person? I saw an early example and it looked really brown. If its more grayed out, that'd be cool with me. I just want a Mazda or BMW like grey instead of silver or black. Do you have any more pix of it?
Old 11/18/06, 10:53 AM
GT Member

BTW, smokenpony, nice GT500 KR stripes. Yours is the only one I have seen with those stripes that Shelby put on only one King of the Road prototype in 1967....

[quote=smokenpony;783054]bummer, you elliminated the alloy. I chose alloy with black stripes and it came out better than i expected. also alloy doesn't show dirt as much as the black, my gi/f owns a black car and I compare the two. But my second choice would be black with silver stripes.
Old 11/18/06, 10:57 AM
GT Member

Correction. I forgot it was dubbed the "Super Stallion":

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...eRear3-4-2.jpg

[quote=stangsimon;783060]BTW, smokenpony, nice GT500 KR stripes. Yours is the only one I have seen with those stripes that Shelby put on only one King of the Road prototype in 1967....

Originally Posted by smokenpony
bummer, you elliminated the alloy. I chose alloy with black stripes and it came out better than i expected. also alloy doesn't show dirt as much as the black, my gi/f owns a black car and I compare the two. But my second choice would be black with silver stripes.
Old 11/18/06, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

grabber
Old 11/18/06, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on Alloy!
Attached Thumbnails I just can't decide....-picture-car-010.jpg   I just can't decide....-picture-car-011.jpg   I just can't decide....-picture-car-005.jpg  
Old 11/19/06, 04:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangsimon
How does the alloy look in person? I saw an early example and it looked really brown. If its more grayed out, that'd be cool with me. I just want a Mazda or BMW like grey instead of silver or black. Do you have any more pix of it?
here are some more pics

Attachment 14055

Attachment 14056

Attachment 14057

hopes this helps and good luck picking the stang that's right for you.
Attached Thumbnails I just can't decide....-smoken-pony-002.jpg   I just can't decide....-smoken-pony-009.jpg   I just can't decide....-smoken-pony-005.jpg  
Old 11/19/06, 07:18 AM
GT Member

wow! The Alloy brigade is coming out full force! Anyone else?
Old 11/19/06, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

Black with the red interior!
Old 11/19/06, 12:05 PM
GT Member

Black with Silver stripes.....
Attached Thumbnails I just can't decide....-picture-031-2-.jpg  
Old 11/19/06, 01:10 PM
Cobra Member

I love the silver stripes... I am thinking about getting mine done with 10 inch stripes. My wife thinks that I should get red stripes to go with my interior... But I think I won't like it that way.