Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i got an idea for a fusion type key

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/07, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got an idea for a fusion type key

check this out, what if we were to find a company to make something that would go over the factory key, and house the electronics and buttons from the keyless remote? make the key and remote all 1 piece, like the fusion. since the electronics inside the remote are small, i am sure it could me made to not be any bigger then the fusion key. this would also work for a ton of other ford vehicles, not just the mustang. anyone interested in trying to get this done? im down to put up some money, since i am sure a lot of people will want these. does anyone know anything about getting molds made and all that?
Old 1/17/07, 02:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by official_style
check this out, what if we were to find a company to make something that would go over the factory key, and house the electronics and buttons from the keyless remote? make the key and remote all 1 piece, like the fusion. since the electronics inside the remote are small, i am sure it could me made to not be any bigger then the fusion key. this would also work for a ton of other ford vehicles, not just the mustang. anyone interested in trying to get this done? im down to put up some money, since i am sure a lot of people will want these. does anyone know anything about getting molds made and all that?
How about no key at all and push button start like Lexus.
Old 1/17/07, 02:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the gigantic fusion key is annoying. It doesnt fit in our key boxes and will stab you if you sit down with it in your pants pocket. The smart keys(i.e. no phyiscal key at all) are kinda cool, but too expensive for Mustangs. I never understood the facination with keys that work other then the time-tested way of put it in the slot and turn it and move on with your life. A keyless fob that transmits signals that you can use for your car, your house, and your mailbox would be worth a look into, but a car key? who cares.
Old 1/17/07, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know about keyless start being too expensive for the Mustang. It's available on the Mazda CX-7, Miata and Mazdaspeed 6. Those aren't really expensive vehicles.
Old 1/17/07, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Robbieg
How about no key at all and push button start like Lexus.

no way, i refuse to buy a car that has this crap, i HATE it. my friend has an is350 and its such a dumb waste of money!
Old 1/17/07, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I want a flip out style key.
Old 1/17/07, 04:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

like the old big body benzes had. ya that type of key i like.
Old 1/17/07, 05:34 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by blackstang06
I want a flip out style key.
VW?

Um-pimp ze auto!
Old 1/17/07, 05:49 PM
Cobra R Member

From a financial standpoint, I can't stand the keys with the keyless entry built in to them. Sure, they are nice because it is all on one unit, but the price differential is astronomical.

Our keys cost ~$30 to cut (without programming) at the dealer, and you can get the keyless remote for all of about $10 shipped on ebay. Both can be programmed by yourself very easily.

Compare that with the price of a lexus/toyota key with the keyless entry built in to it. And, to program a toyota key, you almost have to do the hokie pokie (ie-turn key on and off 8 times, then 3, then lock doors, then unlock door, turn back on 3 times, scratch your nose, pat your head, etc)...or at least thats how it was on our sequoia.

Obviously, our cars are fords, and they program much easier-- I'm just doing a comparison.
Old 1/17/07, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

no way, i refuse to buy a car that has this crap, i HATE it. my friend has an is350 and its such a dumb waste of money!
I know what your saying. I heard the new vettes have a program that reads the drivers fingerprints to un-lock the doors. The car also has sensors that sense when the road gets wet and slows down. All this new technology is great, but i think its a waste of money. Its basically just showing off whats possible.
Old 1/17/07, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
like the old big body benzes had. ya that type of key i like.
The Benz type keys that fold into the base are perfect but if that's not possible I like the idea of something that slips over our existing key.

Remote + Key for two cars = too much to carry regularly in your pocket!
Old 1/17/07, 09:15 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AWmustang
I don't know about keyless start being too expensive for the Mustang. It's available on the Mazda CX-7, Miata and Mazdaspeed 6. Those aren't really expensive vehicles.
But too expensive for the Stang. Heck, Ford can't even afford to put "OH SH*T!" handles in the Mustang, for crissake!
Old 1/17/07, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya but we got a v8 for under 30 stacks
Old 1/17/07, 09:25 PM
Closet American

ya but we got a v8 for under 30 stacks
You're drinking the Kool Aid. Just because it has two extra cylinders doesn't necessarily mean an engine costs more to produce. Not by a long shot.

The cost cutting is more for the benefit of the coffers at Ford than it is for your pocket book, even though the marketing department spins it as "affordable horsepower." Ford's ROI is very high on this car, and it would be advisable for them to smooth out the rough edges sooner rather than later - something I understand they will be doing for the 2010 MY.
Old 1/17/07, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya but by then i will have the new camaro SS, so too late for ford lol
Old 1/18/07, 06:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

traitor. the camaro is a ok looking car but it isnt a camaro. now the challenger is something to consider
Old 1/18/07, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

I thought this was about keys? I have found that the more computer crap you put into a car the more lilkely it is to break (Prius anyone?) I want my Mustangs to remain simple but not archaic, adding IRS, better fuel economy, and a few more fancy interior options would be nice but leave you laser guided cruise control and your GPS auto parking, driver do nothing but sit there options in the Lexus, I want to drive! Oh and since we mentioned the Camaro, this Ford/Mustang guy will only give up his Pony when they stop making them.
Old 1/18/07, 07:17 AM
Cobra R Member

ya but by then i will have the new camaro SS, so too late for ford lol
Just off topic for a second:GM is way behind the 8-ball when it comes to the camaro. Ford has had total market share for 2-door V8 RWD cars. The camaro won't be out for at least a year still. And, shortly after the camaro comes out, the new mustang will be out, b/c Ford already knows what to expect.

Also, don't forget that GM is using that DOD engine......I wouldn't trust that.

OK, back on topic: KEYS!!!
Old 1/18/07, 07:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
People said the same thing when the remote keyless entry came out. Now you can hardly get a car without it.

Once you've used it for a while you really get used to the convenience.
Old 1/18/07, 07:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Tom, I'm with you!!!!
I don't know, but for a great Mustang site, there has been a lot of Mustang bashing in various threads lately! I think in a year or two, many of you will be visiting Camaro and Challenger sites. But not me.

Quick Reply: i got an idea for a fusion type key