2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got "The Call" 2nd? '05 Stang in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/04, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I got the call from the Exchange Car Dealer, the boat arrived 4 days early!!!!!!

Taking the train up north to Bremerhaven and picking up my baby on Thursday. :headbang: :w00t: :flag2:

All the long months of waiting, calling, researching, are OVER. But not the posting and reading.

Thanks to each and everyone here who has/had/will have something unique to contribute to this fascinating online community.

Pictures coming ASAP!

WHOOOHOOOOOO!!
Old 11/16/04, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Woah, congrats man. Hopefully we'll get ours together ...
Old 11/16/04, 03:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Congrats.... Happy for you.
Old 11/16/04, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats! when did you order?
Old 11/16/04, 03:18 PM
Cobra R Member

I would have loved this car when I was in Germany back in 81-83.
Old 11/16/04, 03:27 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to Germany and congrats to Heidelberg.
Old 11/16/04, 04:56 PM

Please take notes so you can tell us all about the German reaction to the car. After you've broke it in, PLEASE let us know how it feels to set the cruise control at about 110 mph and enjoy the autobahn.

I've driven BMW's (Hertz rental 528's) on the autobahn and have driven them for hours at 180-200 kph. (105-120 mph) and would sooooo much like to see how the stang can handle that type of all daqy operation.

TIP: gas tank is small, so map out your GI refuel points carefully, if the tank gets low the pumps here in the US keep clicking off--a real pain in the a^^.

Mileage at high speed suffers from the 'square' grill inlet, so take plenty of gas coupons

Lt Col, USA ret, out
Old 11/17/04, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 2Slack@November 16, 2004, 4:17 PM
Congrats! when did you order?
Thanks. It has been a long wait. I originally put money down on a new Mustang (switched to one arriving earlier) on 20 July of this year. Been biding my time until then, now I can hardly sleep.

Lt. Col., I will have photos up ASAP, with my neighbor's reaction. Already have coupons.

Peter, thanks, I am considering having "ghost" stripes painted on it, would like to see some photos. Might even do it myself. If you are not too far away, perhaps we could have photos taken together of the cars. How has yours been?

Everyone else, thanks.
Old 11/20/04, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

What a great experience buying this car, except for the waiting.

The ship carrying my car came in 4 days early. So Thursday, my father and I took the train (starting at 5:45) up to Bremerhaven.

The pickup was quick and efficient, German customs took 30 seconds, the paperwork maybe 15 minutes, they had cleaned the car, set the clock, put on the license plates right away, it was so easy.

And the new car is beautiful. Photos really don't convey the whole thing, the Sonic Blue color and shape are electric. I was instantly smitten, instantly happy.

My dad of course, immediately declared it was SMU blue, and with the red taillights, well.... you get the picture :-) He said the car was actually named after the Southern Methodist mascot, and there is a similarity there, maybe someone on this forum could prove/disprove it.

The leather interior is clean and efficiently laid out, I know in the photos the roofline looks really low, but there is plenty of room and everything is within easy reach, the shifter is smooth and quick, the clutch is not especially heavy, the motor is sweeeeet sounding. I sat in an Aston Martin a couple of months ago, and it was much more claustrophobic, and not as comfortable, despite the butter-soft leather.

The grey is more pleasing than I expected it to be.

The drive home was challenging, since I needed to break in the car, I avoided a lot of autobahns at first, to keep changing the speed of the car. It was cute, driving through town one German asked where he could get one, and we got a lot of stares.

Following the computer guided tour proved to be more difficult than we thought. Then with some serious hard-blowing wind, rain, and lots of trucks on the road, I discovered that one does not need coffee when one is is a state of total wide-eyed panicked anxiety about someone crashing into your brand new car. My PANTS were damp with nervous sweat when I got home.

The stereo worked very nicely indeed, crystal clear even at higher volume. Dad enjoyed the Bob Dylan and the classical, I had the heavy metal on for later in the drive which took us from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m.

I only took it over 80 once on that 420 mile drive home, and now it has over 500 miles and should be broken in, so I can let all 300 horses run free. I have had it only up to 120 mph, but that did not take very long.

Last night my wife and I went for a drive around, and after she got used to it, she loved it. We stopped and had a glass of wine at an Italian restaurant down the street, and I parked in front of a yellow Porsche Carerra GT. The owner, who was in town to do some laps on the Hockenheim track, went outside to show his car off to a friend.

It is also a beautiful car, but the Mustang looked so nice he was excusing his car for being dirty from the road (Yellow really isn't right for the Porsche anyway, IMHO).

He knew that his car cost 16 TIMES what mine did, and yet he was impressed with the Mustangs looks and knew all about it, which is contrary to most peoples stereotypes of a "Porsche snob"

Reaction from other people has been overwhelmingly positive.
Old 11/20/04, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Interior
Old 11/20/04, 06:25 AM
Bullitt Member

everything else.
Old 11/20/04, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good writeup Deathdealer Have fun!

The Boss Hog
Old 11/20/04, 07:32 AM
GT Member

Deathdealer, a photo together...... oh yeah!!! That would be nice!!! Here a pic of the 2nd 05 in Munich!!!........ with 20"
Old 11/20/04, 08:33 AM
V6 Member

its prett cool that you can open that baby up on the autobahn, I know all of us over here are jealous.

that mineral gray looks sweet with those wheels.
Old 11/20/04, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

A big CONGRATS deathdealer! The sonic blue really is sweet.

Waaaah, I'm so jealous! :shock:
Old 11/20/04, 08:54 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Congratulations, because of those pics, I finally decided I am getting my Sonic with Bullitts.

I would love to transport my car to Croatia in 2006 when I go on vacation and drive it around europe. It would definitely turn heads.
Old 11/20/04, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Its pretty crazy, the Military Police seem to feel the need to "randomly" inspect this car much more than our other vehicles.

There are quite a few Autobahn cars that would top out faster, even once it is broken in, but when you step on it in 3rd or 4th at about 3000 (the torque peak must be nearby) forget it man, there's nobody getting away. High RPM, low displacement motors just don't have the same passing umph as a V8.

Going to take some photos tonight if I can break away.
Old 11/20/04, 11:51 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
duuuude! could you take some VIDEO if you go on the autobahn? i know lotsa us would like to see this car in action! and congrats on your car
Old 11/20/04, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Heck ya! I have a Macintosh and a decent video camera, how to do the posting thing? Brad, should I just Email it to you, or what? I can probably accomodate most formats.
Old 11/20/04, 12:00 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

How much does it cost for a full tank of gas over there?

Quick Reply: I got "The Call" 2nd? '05 Stang in Germany