2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I finally drove the new mustang! Comparing them now:

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/06, 07:23 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally drove the new mustang! Comparing them now:

I finally got to take the new car out for a solo run last night.....

MAN I have gotten spoiled, The Manual is a lot of work. And Third Gear is a total witch to find. I had it on a hill last night trying to explain to my daughter about manuals since she will be learning soon, I rolled back, forgot about the clutch and stalled.

Ok here is what I noticed:
The base stereo is okay, but its no shaker.....Plus I pressed insert and it said no CD, I am used to it saying- which slot. You just put the CD in there and you are set.
Driving Manual is fun, but its a lot of work, PLUS its a WHOLE lot easier to let the car get out from under you speedwise.
On my favorite interstate onramp, I can get Eleanor up to 90 before it ends. I only made it to 70 on the new one.
The Auto is quicker off the line than the manual. Pressing gas to go is a lot easier than 1,2,3,4,5.
You can't talk on a cell with a manual, if you gotta shift, you are screwed.
Driving a car that blends in gets you a LOT less attention than driving a bright yellow one. For an attention hog like me, this was humbling.
The manual has more control on wet roads than my auto. I turn right too quick in the rain on mine and I lose the rear end. Neither one of my mustangs has TC or ABS- so this is interesting.
The Non power seat is a PITA for someone who has a power seat. Plus I like my seat higher. I don't like the lever.
The Tachometer actually has a purpose now.
The seatbelt straps actually work now!

Each car has now been on at least one road trip.
Eleanor I drove. Fun, but she is no snowmobile, I drove her up north in a blizzard. Driving a mustang is a LOT more comfy than being a passenger.
The New car, I was a passenger, I learned:
The passenger seat sits VERY low.
You can NOT curl up and take a nap without waking up and feeling like you were in a pretzel factory.
Old 7/25/06, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
Shame, shame, April! No talkie on cell phone while driving!
Seriously, that's what earpieces and headsets are for. Hands free baby!
Old 7/25/06, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

You are prob right on the accelleration on the manual vs auto. When motortrend tested manual and auto GTs, they found in the 1/4 the auto initially launched better but, but at the top was quite a bit slower, evident by the much lower trap speed.

Driving a manual and doing other things comes with practice. Once in my pontiac (5spd) I ate a whole bucket of KFC while driving in stop and go traffic.
Old 7/25/06, 11:33 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Ahhhhh
I took Eleanor out for a spin today.......
I think when it all shakes out- I love her best.
Besides, With the work I do, cell phones are a must- everyone always has a question. Plus, I can talk to the men in my life while I am out and about, quit being pervs- I mean my Dad and Hubby.

I have to drive the manual one more time, I am having pinstripes put on the Tungsten. Once at Town and Country Ford we saw a mustang with the coolest pinstripes ever - For a $295 markup for custom stripes. Ha, Ten at Autozone and my handy Daddy......And we have it a LOT cheaper.

I am stroking for a Hurst Tbar shifter though- That would be the sweet icing on the manual cake.
Old 7/25/06, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ugh, a dislike of manuals because of the need to use a cell phone?

Considering you are better off being legally drunk than driving while talking on a cell phone that isn't a hands free unit, well, just get a hands free or call them back. Really. Unless someone is a doctor, no one needs to be on it every waking moment.

Not really a prod at you, but please get a hands free, that goes for everyone!
Old 7/25/06, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
You shouldn't be talking on the cell phone while driving anyways, so this is a good thing!
Old 7/25/06, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by RottenRonny
Driving a manual and doing other things comes with practice. Once in my pontiac (5spd) I ate a whole bucket of KFC while driving in stop and go traffic.
Old 7/25/06, 04:02 PM
Cam Tease

You've got me beat. I thought shifting while eating an ice cream cone on a 95 degree day with windows as my only A/C (I'm too cheap to turn on the real deal) without dripping was impressive...
Old 7/25/06, 05:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Please, Please try not to talk on your cell whilke driving, as a paramedic for 23 years I have seen cell phones come into play way to many times!!! It only takes a second for some nut to pull out in front of you!
Old 7/25/06, 07:21 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I don't make it a habit- I am no pro, Not that I don't do it.....

Heres the challenge: Talk on cell, Have a smoke AND shift at the same time. Not happening Back in the day though.....When I had a POS Dodge Neon 5 speed.

anyhows- Until Tomorrow(when I have to have his pinstriped) I am back behind the wheel of my OWN mustang, Sooooo luxurious- and Lazzzzzzy.

I think its that My car is like a favorite pair of jeans- she just fits me right. Its like being in a borrowed car when I drive his.
Old 7/26/06, 11:52 PM
Cobra R Member

If this auto was a slush-box (which it's not), then I would have gotten a manual. I like ALL the conveniences of an auto over manual.......and plenty fast e'nuff for me, but each to their own
Old 7/27/06, 07:21 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Well in Any case- I drove the manual last night- again. I am just not falling in love with it like I thought I would be. I was always sad My own mustang was an auto, but the grass is not greener.

The auto is definitely not a slushbox- Mine has PLENTY of get up and git without having to screw around with all the mashing and moving.

Besides, if I fell in love with the manual I would be in a world of hurt- That's not my mustang. Sooooooo No April Trinkets on it, no marking my territory in it either....

He had pinstripes put on last night- My Dad does them, there is a pic up in my 05 section.
Old 7/27/06, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

An auto may be convenient, but eh, a manual will always be more fun. And that is what a Mustang is about to me.
Old 7/27/06, 12:23 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Yea, the Manual is fun.......I thought I would enjoy it a lot more. Maybe if it was MY mustang, and I could let loose in it, I would enjoy it a bunch more.

My Dad has the distinction of being the first to light em up- He drove it last night to see if he liked it(he never asked to drive ELEANOR!) and he said:
"sits too low, I like the classic ones better"

He waited till I ran out to find the car he snuck out in, saw me, stopped, and laid a nice little track in front of their house.

The question is: Why was my hubby like ALLRIGHT! When I told him, but that same husband SPECIFICALLY banned me from doing the same thing?(I like to light Ellie up sometimes just for fun)
Old 7/27/06, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Back in my 89GT I ate a 12" Subway sandwich and a monster slurpee while driving my 5 speed and this was before cupholders.

That being said I love my Auto.
Old 7/28/06, 12:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The first 2-3 weeks I had the car, 3rd gear was somewhat difficult to hit...I would keep hitting the gate instead.

If you just let the shifter naturally snap back to center it is much easier to find though.
Old 7/28/06, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
The first 2-3 weeks I had the car, 3rd gear was somewhat difficult to hit...I would keep hitting the gate instead.

If you just let the shifter naturally snap back to center it is much easier to find though.
Being an 05 GT with manual tranny driver, I noticed that there was a noticible break-in period for the clutch and the tranny. Shifted way smoother and easier after about 3000 miles or so. Third gear got easier for me after I popped the seat back up a little straighter. Better arm/hand angle. Plus gets you closer.

April was right....the car is way comfier for the driver than the passenger. Sure wish they would make a power pass seat optional equip!
Old 7/28/06, 03:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicStanGirl
April was right....the car is way comfier for the driver than the passenger. Sure wish they would make a power pass seat optional equip!
Is now !!! 53B Comfort Group ( group has 2 things I don't want, electronic mirror and required leather)
Old 7/28/06, 03:47 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

If its a road trip and I am not driving- then I sleep. I tried my best to sleep last road trip- I woke up feeling like a pretzel.

Now Driving.......
Old 7/29/06, 09:58 PM
Cobra Member

Some 15 years ago when wife and I were first married, we needed extra cash. So, I was a paper boy. I got up at 2:30 in the morning to toss the fishwrap on doorsteps. While driving the manual 4 speed, I could fold newspaper, place paper in orange plastic bag, toss paper, and, have a box of Little Debbie snack cakes gone within the first hour on the job. Top that.

Quick Reply: I finally drove the new mustang! Comparing them now: