2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I don’t get who the customers are for the new Camaro and Challenger?

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/06, 11:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrysler is smart if they only intend to produce a V8 Challenger. A V6 wouldn't sell. Chevy should do the same. I don't see V6 Camaros selling.
Old 12/12/06, 11:08 AM

new Camaro is just plain ugly - looks like a Cadillac!
Challenger is right on although another ginormous MOPAR product (4400 lbs?)
Old 12/12/06, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by uberPony
new Camaro is just plain ugly - looks like a Cadillac!
Challenger is right on although another ginormous MOPAR product (4400 lbs?)
The Challenger is not 4,400 lbs. A Charger does not even weigh that much.

The Challenger, which will be built on the new LY platform will use more aluminum suspension componants, and will likely weigh in at just under 4,000 lbs.
Old 12/12/06, 02:28 PM
GT Member

I guess we will have to agree to disagree...

I drove a Z28 from '94 till 2005...and sold her at 200,000 because I just did not want to put the money into a car with that many miles on it considering my new commute (Atlanta rush hour + 100 miles a day).

I loved that car, and I would have bought another if they had kept making them. But they didn't....and I was considering many different things....and then they had the redesign of the Mustang that brought me over.

Love my Stang? Sure! But I give respect where it was due...my Z28 was a great car and I would consider one of the new ones...but I am objective enough to reserve judgement until I see one in person and drive one.

I don't just run it down because I drive a Mustang. That would just be ignorant.

And my wife has standing orders to shoot me in the head if I ever consider getting one of those ignorant pi$$ed-on stickers...Re-e-e-e-e-e-dneck!
Old 12/12/06, 03:51 PM

I rather like the Camaro concept in general -- if they'd clean up the nose and taillights a bit. But the rest is a clean, chiseled, muscular and well proportioned car. The interior is a bit overwrought, but that's probably more show car excess anyway.

As to who'd like and buy one? Not that different from who'd like and buy a Stang for the most part. Starting to look like GM might position the Camaro about half a notch above the bargain basement Stang in terms of content, performance and pricing -- figure 10% more. I imagine the top shelf version might be less dear as I think Ford overpriced the GT500 and the purported 6.2, 450hp LS3(?), or even a wet sump LS7, ought to be a lot cheaper than the DOHC, supercharged and ship-anchor heavy GT500 motor.

GM's starting to show some real promise on interior design if the Soltice/Sky, GTO and some other newcomers are any indication. Not Audiesque, certainly, but worlds better than the Rubbermaid interiors of yore and the abominations of the previous F-cars.

The Zeta (Theta?) chassis looks to be definite step up from the buggy axle D2C Stang, promising improved ride AND handling all at once.

Much the same goes for the Challenger, though the grapevine seems to indicate they're having a harder time keeping the price in check. Perhaps they'll spot it above the Camaro in price and content, but I'm not sure how they'd really justify that as I imagine the engine and suspension performance would be quite similar. They could pimp out the interior a bit more, but I don't think that's the real appeal of these cars to start. But perhaps negative rumors of weight and price are a bit overblown.

In sum, all three cars sound like they will be hugely appealing, if in their own slightly different ways. The Mustang is certainly in for a run for its money and I hope Ford's up to the challenge as its been pretty much an easy open field for the Ford up to now.

Great days to be a performance/ponycar enthusiast.
Old 12/12/06, 05:07 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2 cents is that both GM and Dodge will have a very hard time keeping the price down in the 6 cyl level entry .
From the sounds of it what you see in the new dodge is going to be very close to what you get when it comes out next fall .
My bet is that for GM they keep the interior very close to what they have already but go more retro in the body and basically change most of the front end looks .
No one seems to like it and I'm sure that got back to the designers and it's in for a overhaul before we see the final product.
Old 12/12/06, 05:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that they're both innovated designs that will give the Stang a run for the money...
Old 12/12/06, 06:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Mongoose - I believe it was the 1969 Camaro RS's that had the hidaway headlights. One of my high school friends had a 67 Camaro and it didn't have them......it was a VERY basic car - especially the interior - my mom had a 67 Mustang 289 V8 coupe and it was a far better looking car both interior and exterior - but in all fairness, GM had rushed out the 67 Camaro and Firebird and the 67/68 models showed it.....but the 1969's were a different story....I wouldn't mind having a 69 Camaro RS vert in my garage.....bright orange with the white top and white stripes....
I had a 68'Z-28.It had the hide-a-way head lights.It also sported the RS emblem on the grille because the RS option was avalible with the Z-28 in 68'.The car was loaded and had power windows. The 69 Z-28 it was avalible with RS or SS or both RS_SS option.
I also have a 69RS vert hugger orange builder and a Big Bad Orange AMX pro-street in storage.

Future plans include a new HEMI Challenger when it comes out.
Old 12/12/06, 06:23 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Ripstang
No one seems to like it...
Speak for yourself.
Old 12/12/06, 10:27 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
I don't know if it's fair to say that the Mustang's DC2 chassis is inherently less sophisticated than the Zeta platform. The DC2 is all new, and I don't think Ford has come even close to tapping its full potential yet. Take the buggy axle out and swap in a modern IRS, THEN let's see what the DC2 is REALLY capable of.

The Zeta is world class, though, from everything I'm reading.
As it stands now in S197 Mustang configuration, it is less sophisticated - "the buggy axle" has a lot to do with it. Plus it seems difficult for Ford to scale it for other applications (other than a possible Lincoln coupe w/ IRS) since the Lincoln RWD car to be unveiled in the near future will use an Aussie Falcon chassis. From what I understand about the Zeta platform, it will be used for both 2 and 4 door models. However, I would love to see Ford prove me wrong if it can stick around long enough...
Old 12/12/06, 11:40 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by hi5.0
As it stands now in S197 Mustang configuration, it is less sophisticated - "the buggy axle" has a lot to do with it. Plus it seems difficult for Ford to scale it for other applications (other than a possible Lincoln coupe w/ IRS) since the Lincoln RWD car to be unveiled in the near future will use an Aussie Falcon chassis. From what I understand about the Zeta platform, it will be used for both 2 and 4 door models. However, I would love to see Ford prove me wrong if it can stick around long enough...
Interestingly, the current Mustang chassis was designed from the beginning to use IRS. Then the beancounters got their grubby paws in the mix, and voil*, we got a 19th century Silver Cross Pram suspension in the rear...all courtesy of "The Way Forward".

Old 12/12/06, 11:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
For looks:

1. Challenger
2. Mustang
3. Camaro
that's what we call an opinion And mine would be the exact reverse order
Old 12/13/06, 12:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Well its funny, because I remember a post several months ago, that shows the mustang in the design studio where they were building the camaro in clay in its first stage of build up. The camaro has many lines that look like they are from the mustang. If someone has that picture please post it, it showed a comparison of both built as well as the studio picture. I thought it was hilarious. I really dig the look. I will hopefully have the mustang paid off, and get the camaro, I would love to have both in my stables. Might as well start a collection,LOL.
Old 12/13/06, 06:59 AM

Challenger - no doubts about it. I've loved it since I saw the concept vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I love the mustang, but the Challenger might get me trade. I actually saw one in person about a month ago at a car show here in Birmingham, AL. It's not nearly as big as I thought - and everyone else is thinking. Comparitively, it's not much ... and I mean not much at ALL (if it even is at all) bigger than the mustang, I was surprised - as I had the Challenger of old in mind when I saw the new one in photos. Either way, very sweet ride.

New Camaro - I used to be a huge Camaro fan - had an '00 model. Let me say, in my opinion, I don't care how good the Zeta platform is, the mustang looks 10 times better any day of the week.
Old 12/13/06, 07:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Interestingly, the current Mustang chassis was designed from the beginning to use IRS. Then the beancounters got their grubby paws in the mix, and voil*, we got a 19th century Silver Cross Pram suspension in the rear...all courtesy of "The Way Forward".

I'd like to buy a cold one for the person that made the decision to use a live-axle rear suspension. The S-197 GT is already a tad expensive with $32k+ MSRP price tags on almost every GT at a dealership. Dealerships seem to love the same features:

Shaker 1000
Black leather
GT Premium
Automatic transmission

Going to live-axle (tried and true, proven for decades and still being used in heavy commercial trucks) cut costs and did not reduce reliability/durability. Europeans and their mentality are focused on handling and corner carving which is fine, but American cars have traditionally been made to run fast in straight lines. Just look at how most SE MI roads are organized: straight lines
Old 12/13/06, 08:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flippn
I was invited to attend a survey a few weeks ago. Turns out it was to review the new Challenger. It was held at the Anaheim convention center in California. Looked like Dodge was surveying for quite a few of their vehicles but you can only attend the one you were selected for, other type vehicles were sectioned off with tall curtains. I'm no expert on the history of muscle cars, actually I know very little. I've always like Mustangs though.

Anyway, I thought the Challenger looked good.........definitely retro. According to the specs they gave in the survey entry level was to be priced at $31K give or take. This for a V6...........I got my GT Premium for $29K out the door. Other cars on the floor for comparison were; Mustang V6, Chevy Monte, Pontiac, BMW 325, Infinity, and a couple of others.

Out of the hundred or so questions asked were, "would you buy this car" and "why". With regards to the Challenger, I answered no....due to price. It was a pretty cool experience (never done it before). Made it an even better experience when they handed me a $150 check after I completed the survey.
The only thing, Chrysler did annouce that they WON'T be producting the Challenger with a V6. The car won't have ANY get-up-and-go with a V6 in it. They're only going with the 2 Hemi's.

As for the Camaro, I just can't get over the way the back end looks, and the front. The sides are cool, but the front looks off, and the back looks like a Vette. Plus, if any of you have seen the Camaro in person, this car is huge! Its definitely bigger than our Mustangs.
Old 12/13/06, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
The only thing, Chrysler did annouce that they WON'T be producting the Challenger with a V6. The car won't have ANY get-up-and-go with a V6 in it. They're only going with the 2 Hemi's.

As for the Camaro, I just can't get over the way the back end looks, and the front. The sides are cool, but the front looks off, and the back looks like a Vette. Plus, if any of you have seen the Camaro in person, this car is huge! Its definitely bigger than our Mustangs.
Same problem I had with the Camaro. I think the front is too much like a beak and should be flattened a little more with the grill opened up a tad more. As for the rear the taillights should be redone to more like a '69 in my opinion. Now the side I do love with its definite Gen 1 Camaro styling.

The Challenger I love as well as I saw it in Birmingham as well. I will not trade my Shelby in for it but I would consider one for another car.
Old 12/13/06, 09:33 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by metroplex
Going to live-axle (tried and true, proven for decades and still being used in heavy commercial trucks)...

Originally Posted by metroplex
Europeans and their mentality are focused on handling and corner carving which is fine, but American cars have traditionally been made to run fast in straight lines. Just look at how most SE MI roads are organized: straight lines
You really should hear yourself.
Old 12/13/06, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Personally I think the Camaro will go the way of the GTO and die sooner than expected. However, I did kind of like the GTO. And I see ALOT of them around here. Most Chevy guys that I've heard talk about the new car said they'd would buy it if it was a retro to the 69. GM's unwillingness to make retro cars, which are very popular, will be their down fall in terms of the Mustang and even Challenger competition.

In terms of the Challenger, I think Dodge got it right! Although I do beleive it won't be a major seller, I think there will be a decent number or loyal fans who will buy and enjoy the car. I really like them although I do like the Mustang's style better so that is why I probably wouldn't consider getting one.
Old 12/13/06, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey...let me get my .02 in...
I have owned mustangs (65,66,86,&05) and camaros (67,73,&84). I loved them all for different reasons. I agree with the earlier poster that the later camaro's, tho huge, were unbelievable small inside. The 86 mustang was nicknamed the blender because everything vibrated like crazy. Having said all that...
When I saw the pre-production mustangs at the 40th anniv. show....I knew I had to have one. Sleek, modern, but with a good bit of retro to show off the history. I said it then, and I'll say it now.....Ford nailed it.
When I saw the Chanllengar...Wow...another bad *ss retro car! The look was there and with the 400hp small block....so was the performance. Of course, this is a 'show' car so it doesn't reflect the production car. What I see impresses me mightily but I will hold off until we some more production prototypes.
The Camaro? ugh..wait...really ugh. I liked the muscular T/A's from the 80's & 90's. I liked most of the 3rd and some of the 4th generation Camaros. If you are gonna have a big hairy monster to drive...it needs to look like a big hair monster (or it won't sell....GTO?). The new Camaro is...well...boring.

What about the V6 econo-versions? Mustangs are selling VERY well in the V6 Trim (my wife has a V6 vert). I agree that there will be no "LX" Challenger's for mom to haul groceries in. The camaro just doesn't look poised to break into that market like the Mustang has. I can't see a price point that would make it look more attractive than the kick-butt look the V6 mustang can offer at sub-20k (with rebates). I don't bleed Oval Blue (well...maybe a little but the concept camaro, as it is now, just doesn't have the 'hit you over the head' looks like the mustang does.

Jay

Quick Reply: I don’t get who the customers are for the new Camaro and Challenger?