2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Horsepower Can I add on my V6 08 with 4K?

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/10, 02:03 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much Horsepower Can I add on my V6 08 with 4K?

I thinking about going for a new 2011 v6 with its 304 hp but I would almost prefer to keep my current car, with its 210 hp. I was wondering how much horse power can I add with $4,000 on my stock 2008 mustang?
Old 1/15/10, 04:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If I were you... I would not invest 4,000 into that car.....unless money is no object. Its already 3 model years old... and its V6.. I cant see it being worth it at all. Save your money for the 2011 if you want to go faster. $0.02

Last edited by codeman94; 1/15/10 at 04:34 AM.
Old 1/15/10, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm inclined to agree. When it comes to power and going faster it's almost always more advantageous to purchase the quickest variant direct from the factory.

If you're wanting the 300 hp I would take that 4000 and apply it possibly to a used 05-09 GT. The upgrades you get along with that additional power (like better brakes) is a bonus.
Old 1/15/10, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Throw a Vortech on it. Here's some reading. This car makes 400 rwhp now.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/bab...ear/index.html
Old 1/15/10, 06:16 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by codeman94
If I were you... I would not invest 4,000 into that car.....unless money is no object. Its already 3 model years old... and its V6.. I cant see it being worth it at all. Save your money for the 2011 if you want to go faster. $0.02
Its comments like this that make me want to puke.

Personally, Id take the equity you have already invested in your car, and add to it by installing the 2006-09 Mustang V6 X-Charger Supercharger Kit - HI-PO Plus w/ Tuner and get over 330hp out of it. Blow the doors off the almighty gt owners that think they are better then everyone else.

Last edited by tom281; 1/17/10 at 09:49 AM. Reason: inappropriate language, insulting forum member
Old 1/15/10, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Busted
*** its comments like this that make me want to puke. You higher then mighty V8 owners are truly in a class by yourself... if it aint an 8 it aint poo... What a bunch of kaka!
I think using this kind of language could result in the post being removed seeing that this is a family oriented site.
That being said...there are some V6's on this board that will blow my POS V8 away!! I think the poster was suggesting that it would be easier to get more HP with a V8...not that V6's are not any good.

Personally, Id take the equity you have already invested in your car, and add to it by installing the 2006-09 Mustang V6 X-Charger Supercharger Kit - HI-PO Plus w/ Tuner and get over 330hp out of it. Blow the doors off the almighty gt owners that think they are better then everyone else.
I don't think I have ever had any equity in a car...I know my $25,000 in mods doesn't make my POS worth $25,000 more than NADA.

Last edited by Boomer; 1/17/10 at 01:09 PM.
Old 1/15/10, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tacbear
I think using this kind of language could result in the post being removed seeing that this is a family oriented site.
That being said...there are some V6's on this board that will blow my POS V8 away!! I think the poster was suggesting that it would be easier to get more HP with a V8...not that V6's are not any good.

I don't think I have ever had any equity in a car...I know my $25,000 in mods doesn't make my POS worth $25,000 more than NADA.
Im not to worried about the mods doing their job.. if they feel it needs to be removed then be it.

Exactly!!! the posted suggested a v8, and that bs. Why get a v8?? when you can get just as much or more out of a v6 that you have already been paying (paid) for??

as for the equity comment, hes already spent X amount of money on his current car, perhaps even paid it off, why would one then want to spend more $$ on a new car??

Last edited by Busted; 1/15/10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 1/16/10, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with Busted, but I see where the others are coming from.

From a collectors standpoint, V6s aren't going to be in demand unless nostalgia factors into it. Anything you put into it is not going to make your money back down the road (unless perhaps it has been Shelby-ized to a Terlingua, but even then...it's a crap shoot).

That being said, it doesn't seem like resale value is a goal or concern here. So with that, I'd say throw an X-Charger or Vortech on there and have a ball.

For 4k, you're looking at about 100-120HP gain. Anything more and you need to start looking at changing other parts in the engine (which makes the price grow).

And from what I've been reading all over the net, 100HP gain on the current V6s make them easy GT Competitors due to the lower weight of the car.

All in all, don't let anyone tell you not to do it if you are considering it.
Old 1/17/10, 03:26 AM
V6 Member

I have about $6,500 left till my car is payed off. After car payment, bills and necessities I have $500 a month left over. My car payment is currently only $165 which I can easily pay more on my car. I want to see what the MSRP is on the 2011's I can also use the X-plan on a 2011 Stang(If allowed). I am also staying away from a GT, used or new for insurance reasons(unless I can get a good deal on a '10 Stang GT w/t X-plan, and Dealers wanting to get rid of the '10 stangs, Then i'd just pay the extra on insurance)

My current state of mind is, Save your money till this summer, don't buy any thing for my current car.
Old 1/17/10, 07:39 AM

Dude, just get the 2011 V6 on account of:
1) Better engine from the factory (would you rather have bullet-proof 300hp with a warranty, or squeeze 300hp out of a 210hp engine?)
2) Much much better interior

I would not even bother with a 05-09 GT...
Old 1/17/10, 08:10 AM
GT Member

I personally think you will be able to get a killer deal on 2010 models real soon.
Old 1/17/10, 08:11 AM
GT Member

I agree with Cody. Putting $4K into a 3 year old V-6 car might not be the thing to do. Look at a 2011 with a V-6, 300 HP already there.
Old 1/17/10, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1fastbob
I agree with Cody. Putting $4K into a 3 year old V-6 car might not be the thing to do. Look at a 2011 with a V-6, 300 HP already there.
While your statement is true, the 05-09 stangs look a hell of a lot better then the 10+. I cant stand the way they chopped the headlights, and the rear corners are just plane UGLY!! I do like some of the interior, but as a whole car, Ill take the 05-09 any day!!
Old 1/17/10, 01:52 PM
GT Member

Well the front is starting to grow on me. I finally got to see a few in person. Those tail lights on the 10s are still on the homley side though and I'm not sure I like the new dash, but haven't seen the dash in person yet (the dash in my Bullitt is kick A$$), just pictures. You do have a good point. He has to like the looks the car to spend that kind of money.
Old 1/17/10, 06:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rjaniz
I agree with Busted, but I see where the others are coming from.

From a collectors standpoint, V6s aren't going to be in demand unless nostalgia factors into it.
Ive got news for you. Each and every GT owner is in for a great upset when they go to sell their V8 thinking that they are gonna fetch big bucks for it... Its NOT gonna happen! Not even the garage Queens. The only 05-09 Mustang that could even begin to be called a "collector" would be the KR! Not even the Shelby or the GT500 are collectors.

Last edited by tom281; 1/17/10 at 06:09 PM.
Old 1/17/10, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Busted
Ive got news for you. Each and every GT owner is in for a great upset when they go to sell their V8 thinking that they are gonna fetch big bucks for it... Its NOT gonna happen! Not even the garage Queens. The only 05-09 Mustang that could even begin to be called a "collector" would be the KR! Not even the Shelby or the GT500 are collectors.
Who are you, the "Mustang Value Authority"? I've got news for you as well: a V8s resell value wasn't part of my statement. I was talking strictly about V6s. Further, given the proven history of car collecting, I find your "prediction" ridiculous.

30+ years ago, few thought their Mustangs would be pull in any sort of money in the future... but 30+ years later, classic mustangs, if well kept, can net some serious cash. In another 30+ years, I think it very possible of repeating. Sure circumstances will be changed, but the common reasons will be the same: Kids who were driven around by their parents in these cars are going to want them, people who have them now but must give them up because of financial or personal issues will want them, and a whole slew of others who just think the car "looks good" will want them.

Yes, the mustangs of today will definitely pull in money tomorrow, it just remains to be seen how many are around still to determine the prices. And V8s will definitely be sought after more than V6s.

Side note: way to show malice to someone who was agreeing with you.
Old 1/18/10, 11:56 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a friend who put a Procharger on his V6 and he's very happy with it. He hasn't done any suspension and is still running street tires, so I know it has more in it, he just can't apply the power to the ground properly. I'm not sure about his numbers(last time I saw it locally - he's in VA now - it ran a 13.7 with a few issues), but they're decent. Your best bet is to just supercharge or go turbo, depending on which application best fits what you want and your wallet. Just be sure you get a safe setup so you're not out another 4k fixing things that went boom.
Old 1/18/10, 12:33 PM
FR500 Member

I'd say put aside some of your money. Throw on some mild bolt-ons, but that would be about it. Enjoy your current car until you need to buy a new one in the future whether it be V6/V8 or something entirely different (non-'Stang - blasphemy!). But if you must, S/C or turbo is the way to go. I think you'll find you can spend more than $4k after all is said and done. Nature of the modifying beast.

Last edited by hi5.0; 1/18/10 at 12:34 PM.
Old 1/18/10, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

Ill go with a 2011 V6 Mustang, seeing how a stock V6 '11 with 2 mods can have the same amount of horse power as a stock '05-'10 GT.
Old 1/18/10, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

^^^ This

Even on the v6 where things tend to be a bit cheaper, there's concerns with superchargin/turbocharging.

That 4K is gonna get you into an entry level boost application, but won't go a heck of a lot further. You'll still need tuning to keep it safe. Then you have the rest of the drive-train to worry about. It may hold for a bit, but with close to or above 100hp increase, you're going to be needing a clutch in the near future. Right away you'll probably need different tires to hold the power. You've also got transmissions to worry about, the rear-end which isn't as stout as the GT variant.

That 4K can easily double by the time you handle everything that that supercharger has an affect on. This is why in your case it may be money better spent to go with the 2011 V6 model, or a current used GT model. You get the power you want with more reliability.

Quick Reply: How Much Horsepower Can I add on my V6 08 with 4K?