2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

How to lift the front?

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/07, 07:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How to lift the front?

Going to install my new chin spoiler this weekend and I just wondered how I would have to lift the front. I already bought jack stands, but I don't know if I should lift one side first or put the jack in the middle? Any hints / pictures?
Old 6/7/07, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the cross member in the front, though others might have different opinions...

Lifting one side at a time can get pretty hairy while you have a single jackstand under one side of the car. If you're just doing a chin spoiler why don't you just use ramps?
Old 6/7/07, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm afraid to rip off the spoiler when driving off the ramps....
Old 6/7/07, 08:26 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I generally use my ramps (after putting a 2x6 in front of them) so I don't scrape off the chin spoiler. I jack under the k member or at the front of the subframe connectors. Maybe a little different on the 05-07s.
Old 6/7/07, 08:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I installed my CDC classic without ramps or jacking. All you need to do is turn your wheels all the way to one side and install one side at a time.
Old 6/7/07, 02:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I installed my CDC classic without ramps or jacking. All you need to do is turn your wheels all the way to one side and install one side at a time.
Same here...no need to lift the front.
Old 6/7/07, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hhbh720
I'm afraid to rip off the spoiler when driving off the ramps....
Are you lowered? If not I doubt you'd have any issue. If you are, just use a couple pieces of wood behind the ramps to lessen the approach angle.
Old 6/7/07, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
+1
I didn't take the wheels off or lift mine to put the CDC spoiler on and I have lowering springs on mine so it's that much lower, still no problem.
Old 6/7/07, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Going to install my new chin spoiler this weekend and I just wondered how I would have to lift the front. I already bought jack stands, but I don't know if I should lift one side first or put the jack in the middle? Any hints / pictures?

Can't wait to see the final pics of the fang chin spoiler installed.
Old 6/7/07, 03:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah jsut turn the wheel to either side to install the chin spoiler. I have a lowered car and I still didn't have a problem. Work smart not hard
Old 6/7/07, 03:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Alloy 07 RN
Can't wait to see the final pics of the fang chin spoiler installed.
Trust me, me neither! Gonna order my wheels tonight so I'll have something to do the weekend after...
Old 6/7/07, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'll try to do it without lifting the car up... Now I regret buying those jackstands at WalMart yesterday...
Old 6/7/07, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'll try to do it without lifting the car up... Now I regret buying those jackstands at WalMart yesterday...
Don't worry...You'll probably need them the week after when you change the wheels.
Old 6/7/07, 04:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll use them sometime or another, there handy to have.
Old 6/7/07, 05:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Jack stands are a safety item, you will be better having them in the shop/garage now than the day you need them or we read about an accident.
Old 6/7/07, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

My car is lowered 1" and has the gt500 splitter up front. So the procedure is to drive up on some 2x6 boards. Then jack under the center of the K-frame, and put jackstands where the rear of the k-frame bolts to the body.
Old 6/7/07, 09:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by classj
My car is lowered 1" and has the gt500 splitter up front. So the procedure is to drive up on some 2x6 boards. Then jack under the center of the K-frame, and put jackstands where the rear of the k-frame bolts to the body.

Ive jacked mine from the center of the crossmember, no problems, but have read you are not supposed to do this...looked pretty solid to me, but if you bend something- big ouch. Looks sfe to me, but I was really careful to lower jack slowly and avoided stopping it too quick while lowering...get it dropping and close the jack quick, you may bend the crossmember...

as far as the jackstands- personally Id rather put them closer to the weight bearing crossmember- there are shoulders on the crossmember near the lower control arm bushings, that almost seem 'made for' jackstands...putting weight at the rear of the crossmember probably woulnt hurt much as these are stiff chassis, but its going to be 'unusual' loading on the chassis to say the least...
My mark VII was on a chassis lift on similar lifting points, opened the door to get something out and couldnt close it... always lifted somewhere near the plane the springs set after that, so as not to put any more stress on the car than needed...

When I pulled the body off my 65 galaxie, I HAD to lift via the suspension points, as there was practically no frame left under the car- took hours to jack it up, and 8 jackstands before I crawled under it to start breaking the frame loose from the body...heres a pic- they dont come much rustier than this:
Attached Thumbnails How to lift the front?-holy-frame-batman.jpg  
Old 6/7/07, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

ford4v429: There's a car in that pic?

Old 6/8/07, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
Don't worry...You'll probably need them the week after when you change the wheels.
Hopefully, just ordered my wheels from www.americanmuscle.com ... Now the wait begins again...
Old 6/8/07, 07:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
This is where I place the jack and stands.

Note: With lowering springs and the CDC Classic spoiler installed, the floor jack will not fit straight in from the front.
What I have to do is jack up one side high enough to allow placement of the center floor jack under the crossmember.
Going back down is in reverse order.

Not sure how to go about doing this if you only have 1 floor jack.

Quick Reply: How to lift the front?