Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high RPM hesitation problem

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/13, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
high RPM hesitation problem

So I have done some searching and can't find an answer to my problem so I will ask the experts. I'm getting a hesitation at high RPM in third gear. First and second are fine. It feels like she's starved for fuel or something, but if this is the case wouldn't this happen in first and second also? I have changed the fuel filter and I'm running a Bamma 93 tune. Other than this third gear hesitation nothing feels wrong. Anyone have a problem like this? Thanks.
Old 6/19/13, 10:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DPHC13
So I have done some searching and can't find an answer to my problem so I will ask the experts. I'm getting a hesitation at high RPM in third gear. First and second are fine. It feels like she's starved for fuel or something, but if this is the case wouldn't this happen in first and second also? I have changed the fuel filter and I'm running a Bamma 93 tune. Other than this third gear hesitation nothing feels wrong. Anyone have a problem like this? Thanks.
First off I wouldn't call everybody on here experts. Second have you tried changing the fuel filter?
Old 6/19/13, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

My bad guess I need to read full post try placing your stock tune back on and see if anything changes
Old 6/20/13, 08:06 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi DPHC13,

I recommend you bring it in to your Ford dealer and have it looked at. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any assistance, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 6/21/13, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Manual or Auto? I have a 5psd with a Bama 93 tune as well. Mine can get real jumpy in 1st and second gear. I dont know if it is just me not feathering the gas and clutch enough at times, or if its actually hesitating.
Old 6/21/13, 01:04 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by shaunrc
First off I wouldn't call everybody on here experts. Second have you tried changing the fuel filter?
Since 12.07, I've learned more about late model cars from TMS and a few other forums than I could have learned from anywhere else. Rather than book knowledge or classroom instruction, its from people with real world issues and real world experience and results. Besides their comments, often there are pics, vids, links, tsb's, etc.

So now, whenever I need to learn something new about any number of subjects, I often go to forums first.
Old 6/21/13, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Since 12.07, I've learned more about late model cars from TMS and a few other forums than I could have learned from anywhere else. Rather than book knowledge or classroom instruction, its from people with real world issues and real world experience and results. Besides their comments, often there are pics, vids, links, tsb's, etc.

So now, whenever I need to learn something new about any number of subjects, I often go to forums first.
Ok good for you man but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people on here think they know what they are talking about or trust the word of a friend that think they know everything. I am sure there are people on here that know what they are talking about.... just few and far between
Old 6/21/13, 01:23 PM
Post *****

Ok good for you man but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people on here think they know what they are talking about or trust the word of a friend that think they know everything. I am sure there are people on here that know what they are talking about.... just few and far between
Well you're new so go ahead and think that.
Granted, there is less tech talk lately among the 10-14 crowd than used to dominate the forum. But the archives for 05-09 S197 and the SN95 and Fox Bodies are full of 'expert' advice.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/21/13 at 01:24 PM.
Old 6/21/13, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Granted, there is less tech talk lately among the 10-14 crowd than used to dominate the forum. But the archives for 05-09 S197 and the SN95 and Fox Bodies are full of 'expert' advice.
New haha. What cause I don't have 12,000 post I'm new. how long have you been a ford certified tech? Don't assume.
Old 6/21/13, 01:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, I've learned a ton on forums, especially this one, but still have plenty of tonnage to go.
New haha. What cause I don't have 12,000 post I'm new. how long have you been a ford certified tech? Don't assume.
I think he meant new to this forum. Maybe youre a lurker but I dont see the offense.

Last edited by wheelman; 6/21/13 at 01:34 PM.
Old 6/22/13, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

OMG! Will you boys stop... My "Experts" comment was not literal. I was just being funny. I WAS asking because I value the opinions of everyone on this site. So everyone cool out and someone help. To answer 05PRMTX's question, I have a 08 GT 5-speed. I have changed the fuel filter and switched the tune... no good. I am DESPERATELY trying to data log with my SCT BUT my PC is causing SOOOOO many problems I cant get the SCT software to run right. I might just get some new plugs and see if that fixes it. It's about time for new ones anyway. I still want to data log but I just cant deal with it right now.
Old 6/22/13, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Try cleaning your Mass Airflow Sensor first before spending money on parts. Use the proper MAF spray cleaner for the job or CRC QD contact cleaner. Let the unit dry fully or blow dry it with air before reinstalling and restarting the vehicle. I would also disconnect the battery to allow the KAM {keep alive memory} to reset. While your cleaning you might want to clean your throttle body and IAC if you haven't in some mileage.
Old 6/22/13, 08:58 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

"New" low post count... and youve been on here for a year and a half....
OMG! Will you boys stop... My "Experts" comment was not literal. I was just being funny. I WAS asking because I value the opinions of everyone on this site. So everyone cool out and someone help. To answer 05PRMTX's question, I have a 08 GT 5-speed. I have changed the fuel filter and switched the tune... no good. I am DESPERATELY trying to data log with my SCT BUT my PC is causing SOOOOO many problems I cant get the SCT software to run right. I might just get some new plugs and see if that fixes it. It's about time for new ones anyway. I still want to data log but I just cant deal with it right now.
Data logging is your best bet... unles you have an andriod phone. Id recommend the torque app with the obd2 bluetooth plug. Full setup with app and plug was 30 bucks. Allows you to watch the pids live. Also has a datalog feature
Old 6/23/13, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

****!! I always forget to add info... I cleaned the MAF, and the TB. TexasBone, That sounds like a good idea. If I cant get the stupid PC to work i'm going with the setup that you mentioned.
Old 6/23/13, 08:51 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

****!! I always forget to add info... I cleaned the MAF, and the TB. TexasBone, That sounds like a good idea. If I cant get the stupid PC to work i'm going with the setup that you mentioned.
Link to the adapter. Bought mine last year. Looks like price has been cut and half
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=170847315772

Edit

Link to app

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...48293060,d.eWU

Last edited by texastboneking; 6/23/13 at 08:55 AM.
Old 6/25/13, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
"New" low post count... and youve been on here for a year and a half....

Data logging is your best bet... unles you have an andriod phone. Id recommend the torque app with the obd2 bluetooth plug. Full setup with app and plug was 30 bucks. Allows you to watch the pids live. Also has a datalog feature
I have this setup and that's definitely your best bet. Streams to my galaxy S3 through the Bluetooth pretty well.
Old 6/25/13, 11:35 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX

I have this setup and that's definitely your best bet. Streams to my galaxy S3 through the Bluetooth pretty well.
Old 7/29/13, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Just a follow up to the problem I had. I replaced the spark plugs... That was it. Spark plugs. Tight on cash so I picked up some E3's... So far so good. It's been a month and all is well. 9.99 per plug is really cheap. If they crap out I'll swap um out for some Motor crafts.
Old 7/29/13, 05:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi DPHC13,

I recommend you bring it in to your Ford dealer and have it looked at. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any assistance, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Deysha,
couldnt resist asking, but curious how service departments diagnose/test high rpm in third gear issues? sounds like a fun job

I know mine gets into triple digits at the track without redlining third
Old 7/29/13, 05:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Just a follow up to the problem I had. I replaced the spark plugs... That was it. Spark plugs. Tight on cash so I picked up some E3's... So far so good. It's been a month and all is well. 9.99 per plug is really cheap. If they crap out I'll swap um out for some Motor crafts.
glad you got it sorted out- havent heard of E3s, will have to look them up- thought motorcraft/champion/brisk were only ones out there...

Quick Reply: high RPM hesitation problem