2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

HID's causing delays in '08 mustang order

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/07, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
news on the HID delay!

So my car was originally scheduled to be built the week of July 30-August 3, because of the HID shortage. Now my dealer says it will be "in the dealership" by August 1st. {insert emoticon of smiley exploding from unexpressable joy here}

According to my dealer, Ford has switched manufacturers for the HID's to some Chinese company and as a result, the delays are over. (Probably whoever they outsourced the job to couldn't handle the volume of orders)

[ramble]And... I'm not too worried that they're from China - if they turn out to break easily, Ford will be replacing lots of them under warranty, and they will switch to a more reliable manufacturer so they don't lose money. [/ramble]
Old 7/24/07, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by official_style
im sure they can, ill probably replace my junk saleen hids with the ford ones sometime.
Chinese HIDs??

And we thought the SALEEN ones were trash...
Old 7/24/07, 06:39 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh wonderfull! $465 for Chinese lights!

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
news on the HID delay!

So my car was originally scheduled to be built the week of July 30-August 3, because of the HID shortage. Now my dealer says it will be "in the dealership" by August 1st. {insert emoticon of smiley exploding from unexpressable joy here}

According to my dealer, Ford has switched manufacturers for the HID's to some Chinese company and as a result, the delays are over. (Probably whoever they outsourced the job to couldn't handle the volume of orders)

[ramble]And... I'm not too worried that they're from China - if they turn out to break easily, Ford will be replacing lots of them under warranty, and they will switch to a more reliable manufacturer so they don't lose money. [/ramble]
Old 7/26/07, 11:56 AM

Ok, I retract my expression of joy and re-instate my previous "Arggh."

ARGHH.

My dealer says the car will be in "in their dealership" on August 1st. However, the Ford VOPC says it's scheduled to be PRODUCED on August 13th.

I'm guessing it's one of two possibilities:
1) My dealership is full of it or mistaken and my car wont be here for a long time.
2) My dealership is going to give me another equivalent car with the same options that was already produced.

In case it's #2, I'm sort of afraid to call my dealership in case I might make them change their mind. Is it "rude" to the dealer for me to be calling the VOPC for updates? Can you dealers respond and let me know what to do for the best possible outcome?
Old 7/26/07, 03:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
HIDs are overrated. I'm waiting on more LED headlamps to hit the market.
Old 7/26/07, 05:37 PM

DITTO TO WHAT METROPLEX SAID! My MKZ has HID headlights and with me doing a lot of night driving, (a lot of long distance night driving), I found no advantage to the HID's I have in my MKZ compared to the QI (or QH) headlights in my Continental.

One question I have though. Because HID's don't light up bright until a few seconds after they are turned on, and because the Mustang uses only one lamp for both low and high beams, how are they going to be able to "flick" their high beam, as when passing? On my MKZ, I have seperate low beams (HID) and high beams (QI) so it is not a problem. Just wondering?
Old 7/26/07, 11:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
HIDs are overrated. I'm waiting on more LED headlamps to hit the market.
here's what they look like,
Attached Thumbnails HID's causing delays in '08 mustang order-dsc07247.jpg  
Old 7/27/07, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I don't think I'm getting them now that they're going to China for the manufacturer. NOTHING made in China is worth it's money. Motorola is a great example of that.
Old 7/27/07, 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

My RAZR seems to be built pretty good. Although the Chinese HIDs I'm not sure about.

Where was the initial manufacturer? I though these were going to be sylvania lights?
Old 7/28/07, 01:50 AM

aren't Motorola's made in japan?
Old 7/28/07, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

It says made in China under the battery door. Motorola is an American company that started out in automotive electronics.
Old 7/28/07, 12:38 PM

ah, shows how much i know.

(you know, i just recently learned that subaru is not an australian company...)
Old 7/28/07, 06:58 PM

Yes, they first made the car radio......

Originally Posted by randy_tho
It says made in China under the battery door. Motorola is an American company that started out in automotive electronics.
Old 7/29/07, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

From what I've seen the HIDs have this metal tongue coming up from the bottom of the lens...maybe it's just me, but it looks a bit out of place.
Old 8/23/07, 11:11 PM

didn't want to start a new thread because i don't have a digital camera and you guys already know what an new alloy mustang gt looks like by now anyways...

but... IT'S HERE!! my baby is here! ****!!!! ****!! ARGHHHH!

today's schedule: work->get the magic phone call->jump over to dealership->grab car->take the 3 hour detour home on a 20 min drive home

time for bed. HIDs = awesome. definately not yellow, alot whiter than halogens. ambient lighting = also awesome. maybe not $300 awesome, but it definately makes the interior seem more luxurious and awesome in every way. over use of word awesome = time for bed. night all.
Old 8/24/07, 12:34 PM

Congrats!

Now, go get a freaking camera and take some pics so that we can all drool.....

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
didn't want to start a new thread because i don't have a digital camera and you guys already know what an new alloy mustang gt looks like by now anyways...

but... IT'S HERE!! my baby is here! ****!!!! ****!! ARGHHHH!

today's schedule: work->get the magic phone call->jump over to dealership->grab car->take the 3 hour detour home on a 20 min drive home

time for bed. HIDs = awesome. definately not yellow, alot whiter than halogens. ambient lighting = also awesome. maybe not $300 awesome, but it definately makes the interior seem more luxurious and awesome in every way. over use of word awesome = time for bed. night all.