2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Help me with the first 1000 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/06, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking up my 06 GT tomorrow. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbang.gif[/img] I've been browsing these forums for months gathering info on how to take care of my new pony, especially when it's brand new. I thought it might be helpful to myself and others to start a thread where one can find this info all in one place. I realize many of these topics are a matter of opinion and will vary accordingly, but I still believe it will be helpful. So, please state your opinion on the following topics/questions:

Engine: How hard/soft should I drive it for the first 1000 miles? Is there a certain rpm I should use as a benchmark not to exceed during this time?

Brakes: Is it very important to bed-in the brakes using the procedures posted elsewhere on these forums, or should I just drive it naturally and let it happen on it's own? Should I avoid hard braking for a certain period of time?

Oil: When should I first change the oil? When should I switch to synthetic? I know this can be a heated topic. I'm interested in all opinions, but would appreciate refraining from any back-and-forth about this, as this has been covered in other threads.

Paint: Should I wait a certain period of time before washing or waxing? Can you recommend a good wash/wax? How about a good rim cleaner?

Etc. Any other suggestion for the first 1000 miles or so?

TIA,

Rich
Old 3/10/06, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: have a 6 my self but drive normal, I would avoid red lining it but others will tell you different.

Breaks: I would avoide stomping on the breaks, though you should be fine driving under normal conditions

Oil: I change my oil every 3 thousand reguardless. Don't have a preference of brand or type.

Paint: The paint comes fully cured so no worries about that you can wash and wax at your leisire, as for brand this can be a heated topic around here. I use all Zaino products to clean my car, but they are expensive. If your not sure if you want to plunk down the cash I would go with Meguires products especiallty the Nxt generation brank or the gold lineof their products. Also be careful when drying/ removing your car don't use abrasive towels (I learned the hard way, and have surface scratches that I either cover up or pay to have removed) when drying I would use a chamoi (spelling?) and lightly dry it not pressing a all and let the water streaks evaporate, works for me and I never have water spots or streaks in my paint after washing.

Other then that I would look in to some kind of surgeon to get the your smile un-stuck from your face. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 01:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: How hard/soft should I drive it for the first 1000 miles? Is there a certain rpm I should use as a benchmark not to exceed during this time?

Keep the engine RPM's varying, but not redline. Piston rings are mated during the first 5 minutes of engine life. Just drive normal.

Brakes: Is it very important to bed-in the brakes using the procedures posted elsewhere on these forums, or should I just drive it naturally and let it happen on it's own? Should I avoid hard braking for a certain period of time?

Just brake like normal. If in an emergency, by all means stomp on the brakes!

Oil: When should I first change the oil? When should I switch to synthetic? I know this can be a heated topic. I'm interested in all opinions, but would appreciate refraining from any back-and-forth about this, as this has been covered in other threads.

I personally will be switching over to Mobil 1 5W-20 somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles.

Paint: Should I wait a certain period of time before washing or waxing? Can you recommend a good wash/wax? How about a good rim cleaner?

I gave her the Zaino treatment 1 day after I brought her home. Zaino Z2 polish can be used on rims too.

Respect the power and don't drive like an idiot.
Old 3/10/06, 01:24 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Forget what everybody else said

Use some good polish, don't let the dealer "wax" it, do it yourself

then drive it like you stole it
Old 3/10/06, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ March 10, 2006, 2:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Forget what everybody else said

Use some good polish, don't let the dealer "wax" it, do it yourself
then drive it like you stole it
[/b][/quote]

+ 1
I hit the rev limiter the third day I had mine. (I'm wondering why it took so long?)
Old 3/10/06, 07:54 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slammer223 @ March 10, 2006, 9:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I hit the rev limiter the third day I had mine. (I'm wondering why it took so long?)
[/b][/quote]

I left a 50 foot patch as I left the dealership in front of 10 people
Old 3/10/06, 09:02 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ March 10, 2006, 6:57 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I left a 50 foot patch as I left the dealership in front of 10 people
[/b][/quote]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] That's too cool!
Old 3/11/06, 12:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You should see the thick black lines on the delivery ramp from the guy who bought one of our GT(40's) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 08:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Oh, and if you want break in help, I will be glad to put on the first 1000 miles for ya [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 09:43 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
I tried to restrain myself, but fell in love with onramps immediately...made it to 300 miles before exceeding 4500 rpm, but it wasnt easy. Havent hit the revlimiter yet, 1500 miles on it, but have had it to 6k several times(that onramp problem).
One thing Id say never do with any engine(especially new) is lugging it down...like full throttle in 5th on the highway at 55...to me this would be the highest bearing pressures, and most likely detonation/overheating stuff you could ever do to a motor.
As far as oil, I'm gonna stick with what ford says. Ive read a couple threads about slight smoke at startup with synthetic, sounds like its thin enough to run off into valve stem seals or something- if its that thin, I'm afraid of cold startup scuffing something if it runs off that easy. Not saying I'm thinking right, but I know the factory oil could never cause a warranty issue, not sure on synthetics. One thing I'd like to add on is an accusump, as It takes care of dry startup wear, and I hope to keep this car a looooong time.

PS- did you get it today???
if so, is your face still sore from the grin? and wheres the pics!
Old 3/11/06, 11:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Picking up my 06 GT tomorrow. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbang.gif[/img] I've been browsing these forums for months gathering info on how to take care of my new pony, especially when it's brand new. I thought it might be helpful to myself and others to start a thread where one can find this info all in one place. I realize many of these topics are a matter of opinion and will vary accordingly, but I still believe it will be helpful. So, please state your opinion on the following topics/questions:

No, but I would stay away from the rev limiter. I did a full on break in, drive it like you stole it. Very important...Bring it up to temperature first, and NO hole shotsuntil 1 thousand miles!
Do a search on engine breakin or on RRRoamer for all the particulars and details

Yes, bed in the brakes, again do a search...worked great for me, never had a squeak yet!

I changed my oil at 60 miles( all 60 done on the first day right out of the dealership parking lot), then at 1200 then at 5000, and I will change it again at 10000..I will be changing to Mobil 1 then. I f you go to full Syn to soon, the parts will not seat properly.

Immediately...ZAINO

Dont smash it up!

Good luck!
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/12/06, 12:05 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davids2toys @ March 11, 2006, 10:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
... If you go to full Syn to soon, the parts will not seat properly.
[/b][/quote]
Not sure if that's entirely true. Mobil 1 Myths
Old 3/12/06, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

One thing I'll add is to not worry about your paint the first 1000 miles. When they paint your car during production they're able to bake the paint at extremely high temperatures, because they paint the panels, hood, etc seperate from the guts of the car...the problem with if you get in a wreck or need post-production paint jobs is that they aren't able to bake the paint at such a high temperature, because of the electronics and apholstry in the car. Your paint is completely cured right out of the gate.

Believe me, I'm sure alot of us (including me) was very concerned about multiple care issues when we first picked up our stang. You'll be fine as long as you don't get too ancy and wrap it around a tree. Have fun with it, it's an awesome car.
Old 3/12/06, 09:10 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eromzek @ March 12, 2006, 7:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Believe me, I'm sure alot of us (including me) was very concerned about multiple care issues when we first picked up our stang. You'll be fine as long as you don't get too ancy and wrap it around a tree. Have fun with it, it's an awesome car.
[/b][/quote]
Well said, Erik.

These stangs aren't as fragile like those prancing ponies, so you can allow some fexibility from some of those 'do not do this, do not do that'.

It's tough, Flat Rock muscle, baby! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/13/06, 10:22 AM
Cobra Member

Tacobill pretty much gave the advice I'd give. I didn't really beat it much untill after 500 miles but I didn't worry about it either. Just drove normally and avoided sudden hard stops unless you have to. I also waited until she was warmed up to normal temps before putting my foot into it. I also let it warm up for a few minutes before driving it, which I still do although I don't know how important that really is.

There is a pretty common thought about not waxing until a couple months after you buy it, but I'm pretty sure by the time you get it home the paint is well cured already and wouldn't sweat that.
Old 4/11/06, 01:03 PM
GT Member

I have found that the best way to dry my car is with a leaf blower!!. Nothing touches the car!! I also use Zaino (I think I found the leaf blower ideas at Zaino's web site).
Old 4/11/06, 09:10 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rash @ March 10, 2006, 2:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Engine: How hard/soft should I drive it for the first 1000 miles? Is there a certain rpm I should use as a benchmark not to exceed during this time?[/b][/quote]
Let it warm up with a minute or two of driving, and then drive it like you stole it! Vary the RPMs, slow it down, shift up to third and 4th and then back again. Change the oil after your first day (hopefully it was 40-100miles of driving - use a good dino oil) and then just keep going. Try not to redline.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rash @ March 10, 2006, 2:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Brakes: Is it very important to bed-in the brakes using the procedures posted elsewhere on these forums, or should I just drive it naturally and let it happen on it's own? Should I avoid hard braking for a certain period of time? [/b][/quote]
Not really done this much myself, but I've been told to do a few 75mph-5mph hard stops in a row and you're good. I cannot confirm with personal advice.

Oil: When should I first change the oil? When should I switch to synthetic? I know this can be a heated topic. I'm interested in all opinions, but would appreciate refraining from any back-and-forth about this, as this has been covered in other threads.[/b][/quote]
I'm a firm believer in a good quality Dino oil (Esso Supreme, Motul though they don't make the right weight for our cars) for the first 10K miles. Synthetic after 10,000miles. As I mentioned, PLEASE do the first change of oil wtihin the first week (at least) of driving. Chunks o' metal are not good for your car. I'm also going to throw this little nugget out: 5w30. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]

Paint: Should I wait a certain period of time before washing or waxing? Can you recommend a good wash/wax? How about a good rim cleaner?[/b][/quote]
Paint from the factory is cured very well and relatively immediately, so you can wash and wax away. Only time you need to wait is if a body shop paints the car. I would HIGHLY recommend MICROFIBRE towels and washmitts ONLY. ONLY! Also, double bucket wash (soapy water to wash, clean water bucket to rinse the wash mitt each pass). Finally, Zaino is your friend (Z2 Pro, Z7 Soap, Z10? Leather in a Bottle and Z16? detailing spray is all you need). Trust me, I have ZERO swirl marks. Rim cleaner...elbow grease and regular car soap? If not, Simple Green works alright, as long as you don't have chrome rims.

Etc. Any other suggestion for the first 1000 miles or so? [/b][/quote]
Umm, have fun and be careful [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Kristina