2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Help! Buyers remorse (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/06, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Buyers remorse (sort of)

No, I'm definately not sorry I ordered the car. But I'm not sure on the options I chose now. I put my deposit down and ordered from the dealer on 12/12. Question; How much time do I have to change things if I want? Please don't flame me for not figuring this out first, but I just can't stop thinking about the car now. I wanted white stripes on my vista blue, but I also kinda like the hood scoop look, but you can't get both from the factory. The stripes won out. Now I find out that the factory stripes don't go all the way down the front and back, ala the Shelby. Since I couldn't get the GT apearance Pkg, I oredered the chrome tips and figured I would buy the plenum cover. Can I hear from some of you that got the factory OTT stripes? What are your thoughts on them? Delete the stripes and go with the 3M kit? Forget the stripes and get the GT apearance Pkg? or get the Pkg and cut the stripes around the scoop? Paint would be the best option I suppose, but it aint cheap, and do I really want someone altering the paint job on my new car? I will ultimately be the one to decide and live with it, but I'd love to here from some of you. Thanks, Carl

Oh yeah and, Merry Christmas eveyone!!
Old 12/25/06, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

call your dealer, remove the factory stipes. they are an accessory anyway, not an option from the factory. the dealer would put them on for you so forget them. too thin and dont go all the way down the bumpers.

Why couldnt you get the GT appearance package?
Old 12/25/06, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yesterday, I got Vista Blue with white stripes no fake scoop, chrome tips, and it looks awesome. Its a convertible also. I will post pictures soon.
Old 12/25/06, 01:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just saw your quote from the manual...unreliable adults huh? I guess I shouldn't be left alone in the car!! The best part is it really is in there, I checked!!
Old 12/25/06, 04:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94tbird
call your dealer, remove the factory stipes. they are an accessory anyway, not an option from the factory. the dealer would put them on for you so forget them. too thin and dont go all the way down the bumpers.

Why couldnt you get the GT appearance package?
+1 one... You can change any factory option you want up until it is serialized. I know from experience. I changed an interior option(color: dove/black to black/black). What you are feeling is normal... I think everyone who has factory ordered a car has second guessed a decision or two. My only advice- don't skimp, make sure you get everything you want- you'll regret it later if you don't . My only regret was not getting the Shaker 1000. The $1,300.00 price tag made it easier, but I think that I would have liked it... see, I'm still second guessing...lol. BTW- Fake scoop- true, but I do like the GTAP
Old 12/25/06, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

They will not allow the GTAP and OTT stripes to be ordered together. probably to dificult to stripe it with the scoop. I didn't know the dealer put the stripes on! I could probably do as good as them. Hmmm, now I'm really re-thinking this. Any one else feel free to chime in. thanks again.
Old 12/25/06, 06:37 PM
Cam Tease

Yeah, the stripe option is a joke. Definitely delete that and go with a self-install vinyl kit. Probably skip on the GTAP while you're at it, save that cash for a center-mount foglight grille and 4.10s.
Old 12/29/06, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crucut
They will not allow the GTAP and OTT stripes to be ordered together. probably to dificult to stripe it with the scoop. I didn't know the dealer put the stripes on! I could probably do as good as them. Hmmm, now I'm really re-thinking this. Any one else feel free to chime in. thanks again.
Again Crucut, I had a similair situation and decided to leave off the GTAP option and also leave off the OEM stripes. I will go with Baltimore Street Mods, they seem to have an excellent reputation on the forum for aftermarket stripes. Run a google on them.

I figure this way even if some reason I really want that hood scoop, I could add it later for about $235 from Kevin, unpainted though. And BSM sells stripe kits for with and without the OEM scoop, I believe, so I think I am covered there too as long as re-striping and $$ are not issues!
Old 12/29/06, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Well as a follow up, I went ahead and deleted the stripes and chrome tips and added the GTAP. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and really wanted the stripes painted on anyway. What settled it was that I found a reputable custom body and paint shop that will do my stripes for $1500. That's better than some quotes I got, and that is striped all the way down the front and back. My car will be Vista Blue and the stripes will be Performance white. Buffed and clear coated. I'll get the car and really see if I want to go for it.
Old 12/30/06, 07:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carl, the stripes aren't put on by the dealer, if you get the OTT Stripe option. They send the Mustang to a "Ship-thru" somewhere near Flat Rock, and they apply the stripes. Personally, you don't want the factory stripe kit. Go with what others have mentioned, and get a full bumber to bumber set from Baltimore Street Mods. You'll be MUCH happier, trust me.
Old 12/30/06, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Jeff, If I decide to spend my money on wheels and tires first, I might just go with the BSM stripes for now. Or maybe the CAI and tuner first, or maybee..........Hmm....
Old 12/30/06, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

The factory hood scoop is not an easy add after the fact. To do it right I think the hood should be drilled. I'm sure you will like it not matter what!
Old 12/30/06, 06:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Forget the stripes and get the GT apearance Pkg and cut the stripes around the scoop? Paint would be the best option I suppose, but it aint cheap
Thats your best bet IMO.