2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

help with broken tach!!

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/08, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with broken tach!!

I've been lurking here for a while, and this is my first post here. My other forums weren't able to help me so i hope ya'll can.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my tach is acting funny. It sometimes reads high, sometimes low, and when it moves, it doesn't move smoothly.....it like, ticks like a watch. It gets stuck, when it's trying to come down. It'll stay at 2k, 4k, etc when i turn my car off. Now it's really jacked. When i'm driving, it'll go up fine, but it'll stick coming back down just a little. This keeps happening over and over such that it gradually reads higher and higher. Right now, it says i'm idling at 6k! lol It's moved well beyone the red. Last night it had moved so high that it was actually pointing straight down! My car's running fine, it's just the gauge. It seems as if it's a mechanical problem, i think the ecu is sending the signal just fine. I've taken it apart, moved it around, and it still messes up. I have an extended warranty, but don't wanna go to the dealer if i don't have to. It's just a pain in the butt with my cai/tune, 4.10s, etc.....
Old 11/16/08, 07:51 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd just bring it in. If problem is not because of your tune, then the repair cost and diag should be warrantied. If it is found to be because of your mods, then it'd be your responsibility to pay for the repairs anyways.

Don't the gauges go through a check cycle when you upload a new tune? If I remember right, they do. I'd start by reflashing to stock, and then back to your tune, and watch the needle go through the test. If it acts goofy during the check cycle, then I'd be confident that it's a mechanical problem, kind of like the hands being loose on a watch.

Does this make sense to anyone? It's a complete guess, but that's where I'd start.
Old 11/16/08, 07:52 PM

that's a good suggestion....i'll try it!
Old 11/16/08, 08:12 PM

no luck.....
Old 11/16/08, 09:05 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No luck, how? No test cycle? Or the test cycle was fine?
Old 11/17/08, 05:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
There have been problems with the instruments giving bad readings and according to a couple of threads on here , there have been two causes. The first has to do with a leak in the passenger side foot well where the SJB gets wet and will do strange electrical things , one of which is to cause the instruments to give false readings. The other is that the cluster itself actually goes bad and needs to be replaced. On mine the speedo has been off intermittently and the gas gauge has been constantly off for sometime and at this point I'm pretty sure the cluster is bad. I have scan gauges so I know what the correct readings are and haven't bothered to take it in yet to have the cluster replaced. Don't know if it's your problem or not , but it's a place to start ...
Old 11/17/08, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
No luck, how? No test cycle? Or the test cycle was fine?
it looked fine......

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
There have been problems with the instruments giving bad readings and according to a couple of threads on here , there have been two causes. The first has to do with a leak in the passenger side foot well where the SJB gets wet and will do strange electrical things , one of which is to cause the instruments to give false readings. The other is that the cluster itself actually goes bad and needs to be replaced. On mine the speedo has been off intermittently and the gas gauge has been constantly off for sometime and at this point I'm pretty sure the cluster is bad. I have scan gauges so I know what the correct readings are and haven't bothered to take it in yet to have the cluster replaced. Don't know if it's your problem or not , but it's a place to start ...
i'm familiar with the footwell leak and i haven't had it so far.....guess i'll see about getting the cluster replaced....