2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/05, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have my subs and amp hooked up in my 05 mustang. since the shakers dont have rca jacks, i used an rca adapter to go from rca to the rear speakers. i tied them in with the rear speakers so that i would have both speakers and subs.. no big deal.

everything works fine except it sounds like the amp is running back through the wires to the speakers, so if i turn up the volume, the speakers start hitting and they will blow if i turn it up too loud.

any ideas? i need help asap.
Old 8/10/05, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think you are going to have to provide more details. I'm clueless as to what your setup is.
Old 8/10/05, 08:27 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please give us some more information regarding your setup. I have to assume you are running the factory head unit to an aftermarket amp and subs. It sounds like you are getting feedback which is common when using an RCA to wire (high input) adapter. Make sure everything is grounded properly. Keep the ground wire to the adapter and the amp as short as possible. Preferably less than 3 feet. You might need to get a noise suppressor. I had to get one because I had feedback when I installed an aftermarket amp in my 97 GT and connected it to the Mach 460 system.
Old 8/10/05, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by adrenalin@August 10, 2005, 9:30 PM
Please give us some more information regarding your setup. I have to assume you are running the factory head unit to an aftermarket amp and subs. It sounds like you are getting feedback which is common when using an RCA to wire (high input) adapter. Make sure everything is grounded properly. Keep the ground wire to the adapter and the amp as short as possible. Preferably less than 3 feet. You might need to get a noise suppressor. I had to get one because I had feedback when I installed an aftermarket amp in my 97 GT and connected it to the Mach 460 system.
yes. i am running the stock hu and aftermarket subs and amp.

this is what i did....

i hooked up the amp, power, ground, remote wire. etc.

for low inputs you use the rca cord from your amp to your stereo.

in the 05 mustangs there is not rca jacks in the stereo.

since there arent any, i bought this : http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...duct_id=42-2449
and wired it in with the rear speakers. only problem is it sounds like to me that the amp is going to the rear speakers also and making them hit the bass, when it shouldnt be.
Old 8/10/05, 08:52 PM
Retired Tms Staff

where did you tie in the adapter to your speaker wires.
Old 8/10/05, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by adrenalin@August 10, 2005, 9:55 PM
where did you tie in the adapter to your speaker wires.
i tied them in before they plug into the speakers.
this is what i did:

cut the plug that goes into the speaker..
twisted the adapter wire and the speaker wire together for the positive.
twisted the adapter wire and the speaker wire together for the negative.
plugged it back in.
Old 8/10/05, 09:15 PM
Retired Tms Staff

sounds to me like you need a noise suppressor
Old 8/10/05, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by adrenalin@August 10, 2005, 10:18 PM
sounds to me like you need a noise suppressor
how big of a difference will that make? and whats it cost?
Old 8/11/05, 12:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That set up won't work. You have full wattage going to the amp so it will put out way too much power to the subs. You need a unit that takes speaker wire wattage and drops it down to about 1 amp and has RCA plugs.

Go to any car audio place and they will set you up with the part you need. I know, because I have the same set up as you using the rear deck speakers for the input to the amp. It will work fine, you just need that part and I can't remember the name of it.

Also, you will want to have an EQ to allow only bass to go to the subs, not the full range. My amp has a EQ built in for "bass only".
Old 8/11/05, 01:31 PM

i dint get your response till after but... i got it fixed.
i just went to best buy and got the adapter that you hook into the rear speakers, it converts the high input to low and you can plug your rca's straight into it that way. works great and i have some loud hiney bass lol.
Old 8/11/05, 01:44 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I guess I should have looked at the link as to what you originally installed. The part that you just bought and installed is basically what I used but I had to put a noise suppressor inline as well because I would get a thump from the subs when first turning on the system
Old 8/11/05, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't get a thump in mine when you turn the stereo on. What size subs did you install?