2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

It has actually happened... DKII has left the building......

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/06, 11:18 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has actually happened... DKII has left the building......

My fellow TMS-ers……..

Well….. it has actually happened. One chapter has come to a close in my Mustang ownership history.
No sense in beating around the bush here – due to a few strongly motivating factors…….
I sold the Dark Knight II.

Definitely not an easy thing to do considering how much love and attention I put into the car….. but I am consoled in knowing it went to a Mustang fan and his wife who was specifically looking for a ride like mine as his daily driver – so if you are somewhere in the Tampa area, keep your eyes peeled. … you just might see the DK II prowling the streets out there………

I also have to say how pleased I was to get such love and props from TMS folks (and people out on the street) for the ‘design’ that I put together for the DKII. So thanks to all you TMS-ers for the positive comments over the past 1 ½ year.

I’ll get into the reasons for the sale in due course – as logic suggests, I needed something as a daily driver – some folks on here might be ticked about my ‘jumping ships’ move here but due to my circumstances, this is what I am tooling around in right now………..

2003 Dodge Stratus…….

Okay – sorry – couldn’t help it…………

I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity…… I have driven a Stratus recently but definitely do not own one……

Here’s how it shakes out – I loved the DK II and the 5 speed auto was definitely a great automatic – top notch on the strip when I went with my brother. Only problem is, strip fun is a very occasional thing for me – daily street driving is what I do most and incredibly, after I thought I was over and DONE with a stick after owning my 88 GT 10 years back, I found myself driving around town and wanting to row through the gears in the new Stang…… after two autos in a row, I was surprised that this stick-jones came back and came back as strong as it did. I was happy with my car and but really wanted to be ‘satisfied’ you know? So I decided earlier this year that if I was going to make a move, I better do it NOW before my chance of getting what I wanted to for DKII started decreasing. Planning started in April which is when the order went in. I might spend an ENTIRE separate post sometime describing the delays, excuses, depression, misery and general out and out hell my life slowly became in May going into July….. I was steered to a local dealership by my stepmom (Ford employee for 38 years) to a contact there she knew so the whole experience would be simple and easy….

Turned out to be the exact opposite. Nothing went smoothly, I had to chase down info for updates and to make sure things that were agreed upon initially got done MYSELF….. as I said, excuses, delays after delays…… it was heartbreaking, especially after I took advantage of the motivated buyer for DK II and sold my car first weekend of JUNE and have been driving around in renters and loaners for weeks upon weeks (insert the few weeks in a Dodge Stratus here – good gosh what a DOG that thing is….. aaarrggh!!!) Let’s just say that after the cakewalk I had ordering and getting my 2005 back in Nov/Dec of ’04, I can understand clearly the frustration and BS that many people who got the 05s early had to go through.

ANYWAY like I was saying, the drama involved in this situation is worthy of an entire post unto itself and truthfully right now, I would rather focus on the positive. Which is:

As of Tuesday night the 18th, I picked up my new ride.

I proudly present to you FIREFOX II.

Rundown:
2006 GT Redfire Premium Coupe
The options load-out is identical to DK II – Shaker 1000, anti-theft, satin IUP - except I went all out and got the leather interior and the optional 18 inch polished bullitts (which I am growing to like more and more each day). Also spoiler delete and the manual tranny of course.

All body mods stayed on the DKII to help the sale value (and I didn’t trade-in – I SOLD the car through the Maroone autonation network so I got more than I would simply trading in) but I took most of the other stuff off DK II to transfer over (sequentials, underhood billet, Flowmasters, 18x9 anthracite bullitts, etc….). The only way I was able to swing this deal was getting as much as I did for DK II – the extra leftover $$$ I had to cover will have me eating cheese sandwiches for a while and with a tightened financial belt for sure. But I was able to swing it. I also sold off some stuff from my garage to finance a few extra mods: chin spoiler, ducktail, etc which are being painted this week. After those go on, that is IT for the immediate future. (not just saying that either cause there is NO money to do anything else – but truthfully, I should be happy for a while with what I have….)

Now, here’s the kicker (and what set me back in the chunk of extra $$ ).
The car looks perfectly stock from the exterior.
But part of the evil plan for pulling this together had to do with some mods being installed before I took delivery.

So that meant – Saleen suspension package (Racecraft struts, shocks, springs, front sway bar), Saleen short shifter, Saleen pedal set, HID headlight system.

Oh yeah – and one of these:

Yes sir, the Series VI.
After all this time trying to find a way to get my hands on one of these, and then the months waiting after I set my plan in motion….. It still hasn’t even fully set in that I am driving a car with one of these yet. I haven’t had a lot of extra time to shake down the car (just back and forth to work) due to my schedule… but I did take her out Thursday night to a deserted street where I used to practice launches with DK II – after 8:00pm, there is pretty much NO ONE out there and it’s a nice open deserted straightaway (which is RARE for this area I live in). So I wound her out a bit from a dead stop. Let’s just say now I know exactly what the phrase ‘pulling like a raped ape’ means when I hit third gear. I was grinning ear to ear and my heart was pumping like mad. As I was about to pull fourth, I looked down, saw I was doing 105, pulled fourth and then got out of it, not wanting to push my luck any further.

One thing to bring to light is the great job Ford has done on the S197s – I was happy driving DKII – but previous to that, I had never driven an SN 95 before. In the last few weeks before delivery, I was driving my Pop’s 2004 vert to work and back. Really dug the car – but comparing the two, especially the interiors…. Was like night and day. Everything seems to be crammed in wherever they could fit it in the SN95 – whereas the S197s are so nicely laid out and roomy… really make me appreciate the redesign even more. (although I would still drive that 04 any chance I get – that is a fun car!)

Anyway, this is my new baby.
After getting used to the 04s clutch (and 7 years of NOT driving a stick at all), I am now in serious readjustment mode due to the short shifter and its tiny throw compared to the 04, and the clutch (the 04 released real low and the 06s is REALLY high so I am having to reprogram the feet once again).

Like I said, after the months of drama and waiting I have gone through, it still hasn’t fully set in yet 100% that she is mine. But here she is – looking forward to the Aug 12th TMS meet-up in Orlando and REALLY looking forward to bringing the new Pony to Birmingham in Sept.

More pics!!

HIDs...

A bad shot but you can see the Racecraft shocks and the red Racecraft springs.....

Old 7/25/06, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That may have been the longest post Ive even seen. But congrats on the new ride! It looks great, and enjoy the stick shift. If you really want to drive a stick, an auto will never satisfy you. Enjoy!
Old 7/25/06, 11:28 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Congratulations on an extremely gorgeous and well thought out ride! I know you hated to get rid of DKII, but man what a step up! Great post btw
Old 7/25/06, 11:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whew - now I can breathe. So many times I wanted to spill my guts over the past few months But I was a good confidant and kept my trap shut. I can't wait to see/hear that machine in person and go for a ride!
Old 7/25/06, 11:42 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

:nono:
You had me going.......

You Did Good......That new one is Spectacular.
Old 7/25/06, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful and fast, I think Firefox II will be a winner.
Old 7/25/06, 11:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

BEAUTIFUL! Have to admit I smiled when the Saleen s/c shot came up. :-)

John
Old 7/25/06, 11:49 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is freakin' awesome.

The Redfire and polished 18"s look great!!! And no spoiler!! That is one slick ride!!!
Old 7/25/06, 12:15 PM
Cobra Member

Gang, is it me? Ford's 18" bullitts are the bomb. Look, if you've bought aftermarket wheels and you're happy with them, I'm happy for you. IMHO, there is not a better looking wheel out there than the 18" polished bullitts. That includes the Shelby wheels for the S197 (ANY of them). Enjoy your new ride and don't touch those wheels! Plz!!

Old 7/25/06, 01:11 PM
Cobra R Member

well i am partial to the new 17 bullitts myself. SWEET RIDE way to go spoilerless. Just the way i like it
Old 7/25/06, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sweet ride, you need to bring her out to the meet we are going to have next month.
Old 7/25/06, 02:08 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
Sweet ride, you need to bring her out to the meet we are going to have next month.
Heck yeah man - the reason I missed the first meet on the 15th is that I THOUGHT I would have my car by that point and turns out I still had another few days to wait. Heck I helped MTAS plan the darn thing and I had to miss it.....

Thanks for all the compliments on the new baby so far!

Funny you say that Pitpup - I was originally going to put the 18 by 9s I had on DKII on the new car as soon as I got it and ordered the polished 18 inch bullitts to sell...... and now I find myself falling in love with those polished stock bullitts and the bright wheel look.....

Only problem with these is you can't go real fat in the back.......

Here I thought I had the wheel jones locked down.... and now I find myself thinking of selling the anthracite 18 by 9s and getting chrome bullitts with deep dishes out back so I can get some fat Nittos out there...... it never ends!
Old 7/25/06, 02:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

WOW!! I really LOVE the Saleen!!! (insanely jealous!!)

Sorry about the passing of the DKII, but the Firefox II seems like a sure winner.

<BIG Thumbs up!>
Old 7/25/06, 02:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Funny you say that Pitpup - I was originally going to put the 18 by 9s I had on DKII on the new car as soon as I got it and ordered the polished 18 inch bullitts to sell...... and now I find myself falling in love with those polished stock bullitts and the bright wheel look.....
I remember when everyone was posting pics of their new '05's with the stock 17's. Somebody put either a 245 or 255 all the way around and it filled out the wheel wells real nice. They were 8" wide then, ours are 8" wide, too. Everyone seems to agree that 255 is the widest you'd want to go with an 8" rim. Hmm, wonder if anyone has tried wider? Thoughts? Comments?

I'd link to that photo, but since the upgrade... well, you know!

Old 7/25/06, 03:35 PM
Cobra Member

that's awsome man! you had me going at the start and I was so dissapointed. Firefox II looks great. I got a big smile when I saw your saleen supercharger too haha.

congrats and enjoy the new ride!
Old 7/25/06, 04:07 PM
I lust for a M24

HOLY SNOT DAVE!!! I'm 1/2 way through this thread and the Shock and Awe is taking over...
Old 7/25/06, 04:12 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by MTAS
Whew - now I can breathe. So many times I wanted to spill my guts over the past few months But I was a good confidant and kept my trap shut. I can't wait to see/hear that machine in person and go for a ride!
... hmmm... so what do you have planned up your sleeve?
Old 7/25/06, 04:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Well Burke, I'm nearly speechless. Here I was a little concerned when I saw you selling parts for money. Then I was really concerned when I started reading and saw you sold the DarkII.
I know what you're thinking:

Congrats, banana's, and all that stuff. Unbelievable car, you have got to be thrilled.

Wow!

... oh, and wow! I'm speechless.
Old 7/25/06, 04:27 PM
V6 Member

Beautiful car
Old 7/25/06, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats Dave Nanners to you!!!

You hade me scared there in the begiining of your post, the way you were a;ll down and out,I was thinking you were leaving Mustangs all together. Silly me once you drive a Mustang how can you own anything else??

So I see the Saleen on your plenum, I didnt realize thats a Saleen supercharger, wow talk about an upgrade!!! How did you get all the saleen parts installed with out having to buy a Saleen car?? I didnt know you could just get some packages and not have to buy the whole thing.I would love to have those headlights one day when I can affordthem, and a superchager too. I'm guessing the supercharger id covered under your factory warrenty also?? Thats a heck of a deal!!!

And Now I can see where your coming from talking about cash shortage, Im sure all the Saleen upgrades added to a new Mustang must have made for a large Sticker price. Glad you got your manual transmission, I love mine!!! I cant imagine owning a Mustang with anything but a stick, it's just so much fun to grab a hold of all that power!!

Quick Reply: It has actually happened... DKII has left the building......