2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

GT500 Style Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/07, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm leaning towards the one from DG, I just installed their louvers and they had a perfect paint match.

To those that drilled the holes, how do you know where to drill? Do you get a template or something?
Old 4/11/07, 03:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes. There are 2 little plastic pieces. there is an alignment hole that fits into the bottom of the spoiler and extend beyond the front and rear edge of the spolier. then you place the spoiler on the car, line it up, then tape the plastic alignment thing to the trunk. remove the spoiler. drill hole thru the alignment piece. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. the instructions are pretty good. It talks about using a grease pencil to measure and line up everything.....I just used masking tape and tape measure and a good eye to help line things up.
Old 4/12/07, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nole_trainer
I'm leaning towards the one from DG,
I just bought the same spoiler (from the manufacturer Sportwing.com) off Ebay. Painted (VB), for $200 plus $19.95 SH.

I haven't installed it yet because it's been too cold and rainy here in PA. The paint is a perfect match and a very good quality finish.
Old 4/12/07, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

+1 LBJ. When I got the box and saw "sportwing" on it, I thought to myself, "didn't I just see them on eBay?". Gotta love that price. I didn't think they were the same as DG Custom, but I think now they are. O well, $100 down the drain.
Old 4/12/07, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

I would only go with KC on this. He is the cheapest way to get this stuff hands down and when you save some money on the part you can afford to pay a little extra for paint (as painting is rarely cheap). Thats how I look at it.
Old 4/12/07, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't see how the Ford spoiler thru KC would be the cheapest. The spoiler is what $250 at BEST? Then everywhere around here wants at least $150 to paint it ($165 at Ford body shop). Getting the whole thing including paint for $300 (or $200 from "Sportwing" on eBay) sounds a lot better than $400.
Old 4/12/07, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LBJay
I just bought the same spoiler (from the manufacturer Sportwing.com) off Ebay. Painted (VB), for $200 plus $19.95 SH.

I haven't installed it yet because it's been too cold and rainy here in PA. The paint is a perfect match and a very good quality finish.
When was that auction, do not see any active ones for that price....

Direct at Sportwing site, $233.10 and at DG $340......same spoiler?????

Then call Sportwing and they gave me this info http://www.dawn-ent.com/installationsheetsford.html hummmmmm
Old 4/12/07, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!
+1 LBJ. When I got the box and saw "sportwing" on it, I thought to myself, "didn't I just see them on eBay?". Gotta love that price. I didn't think they were the same as DG Custom, but I think now they are. O well, $100 down the drain.
Pays to do your research (sometimes).:wink:

I wonder if DG actually paints the spoiler themselves. They are charging $339 and you can buy a painted one direct from Sportwing for only $233.10.
Old 4/12/07, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

When was that auction, do not see any active ones for that price....
Right here is one.
Old 4/12/07, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

DG will give TMS members a $295 price + $25 shipping. But still not as good as directly from Sportwing, if all else is the same....
Old 4/12/07, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Right here is one.
Thanks, I'd alsmost talked myself out of this mod.....but at that price
Old 4/12/07, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Then call Sportwing and they gave me this info http://www.dawn-ent.com/installationsheetsford.html hummmmmm
Sportwing appears to be the retail, and Dawn Ent is the wholesale side. Same company, two divisions?

This should not be construed as an endorsement of Sportwing or Dawn Ent or their products. Like I said I just got mine on Monday, looks good but I haven't installed it yet and I have no idea as to durability. Time will tell.

Just check the address, yep, same company.

I'm just a sucker for cheap parts.
Old 4/12/07, 01:04 PM
Cobra R Member

FWIW, I dealt with Sportwing concerning a Corsa exhaust. They had some on ebay that they were blowing out at an INCREDIBLE price. So, I called Corsa, as the price honestly seemed "too good to be true". Corsa verified that they were ligit sellers.

I then called up sportwing, and they said that their reason for blowing them out was that they decided to go a different route with their products. The person I talked to was very nice, allowed me to purchase the exhaust over the phone at their reserve price (not their BIN price), and emailed me a tracking number within a couple of hours. They even sent me a PAID receipt/invoice in the mail (many companies do not do this).

So, long story short: their customer service and business operations seem great. I honestly don't know what their product quality is like, but I definitely give them an A on business practices.

Unfortunately, since it seems that you need to drill holes to mount this spoiler, I'm going to take a pass.
Old 4/14/07, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I should know in 5 hours if this spoiler is mine..I post pix when it arrives....
Old 4/15/07, 12:43 AM
V6 Member

so, question to those with sportwing or DG Custom gt500 spoilers. The inner fastening holes, are they the same with the factory holes, like exactly the same? Or the holes for the inner fastening are not drilled on the spoiler when u get it?

thanks
Old 4/15/07, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mfo33
so, question to those with sportwing or DG Custom gt500 spoilers. The inner fastening holes, are they the same with the factory holes, like exactly the same? Or the holes for the inner fastening are not drilled on the spoiler when u get it?

thanks
There are no inner holes (in the spoiler) for the four self-tapping screws, they have to be drilled.

Instruction Sheet
Inner Fastening Area of Sportwing®: See Diagram C on back of sheet. Notice factory cut outs in secondary panel on drivers and passenger side. Open deck lid. Holding Sportwing® in place and using a 5/32" drill bit (NOTE: we insist that you use a drill stopper to prevent from drilling through the top of the Sportwing®. Electrical tape wrapped tightly around drill bit will work as a drill stopper). Only extend drill bit no more than 5/8" past drill stopper. Using the drilling locations noted in Diagram C, drill through the deck lid and into the bottom of the mounting area. Using self tapping screws with lock washers and flat washers provided, tighten using 5/16" socket with ratchet. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Repeat procedure on other side.
The spoiler will fit GT's and V6s (no holes in deck). Probably done to take factory "tolerances" out of the mix and not having to drill precisely located holes on the V6 deck lid. Align the spoiler to your liking and then drill holes.

Only little thing I see is that I have to track down a ⅝" hole saw.
Old 4/15/07, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Only little thing I see is that I have to track down a ⅝" hole saw.
Let us know where you find one..
Old 4/17/07, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I was contacted by Sportwing, my spoiler is off to be painted and I should get it soon.....stand by for photos...
Old 4/17/07, 08:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2006SilverGT
ok, i thought i read on here about a company offering these already painted factory colors? am i losing my mind? if so, what was the company? any contact info would be great. if not, where is a good place to get one? i want it painted when i get it so all i have to do is bolt it on and go. i know i will have to drill 2 more small holes, but i am ok with that. thanks in advance...
That looks like the wimpy little spoiler they are putting on the V6'. IMHO

If you are going to put a duck tail on look at CalMustang or Roush.
Old 4/18/07, 04:52 AM
Bullitt Member

It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener.
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Quick Reply: GT500 Style Spoiler