2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

GT and V6 Back-to-Back

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/05, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Kimnach Ford in Norfolk, VA had a Mineral Grey GT (with automatic) and a Torch Red V6 (with 5-speed), amongst others. They invited us to drive these two and we accepted.

GT/automatic
This was the first opportunity we have had to actually drive a GT, and it was not a dissapointment! The torque, handling and overall performance of the car was awesome.

The automatic did not detract from the enjoyment at all, though I do still want a manual. Very mild driveline whine was evident, but not obtrusive at all. It sounded like a very faint jet engine spooling down.

The car is quite neutral in lateral loading. It holds well with virtually no sway at all.

V6/manual
The V6 with manual transmission was also a blast to drive. This is, in my opinion, the sleeper Mustang; perfect for folks who don't want or don't want to be financially stretched by the GT. Handling is almost as good, and the 5-speed is very plesant to work with. It takes just a little while to get a feel for where 3rd and 5th are, but once you are used to it, off you go. If I decided I just could not afford the GT, I could get a V6 with 5-speed manual and easily be 90% happy. Great car. We had driven a V6/auto before; we definitely liked the V6 manual even more.

We ended up putting fuel in them both (with dealer chits) and had no problems pumping fuel at all; no stop/start business with the nozzle.

Neither car had IUP. The GT had the Shaker 500, but we spent our time with the engine and drive train, not the stereo. I had listened to the Shaker in another Mustang, and liked the sound just fine. Barring the problems some have had with the Shakers, I will probably just stick with it.

I look forward to the day when I can tell you I am driving mine instead of a dealers! We shot some video; if I have time to cut it to a reasonable length and squeeze it, I'll ask Brad if he has room for it.
Old 2/2/05, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should have gone for a manual to manual, which is if they had one. That would have made for a good engine test.
Old 2/2/05, 12:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I agree completely - of course the one manual GT they got in was driven off the lot by a buyer about 24 hours after it arrived, so it was GT/automatic or nothing.

GT with an automatic is defintiely better than none!
Old 2/2/05, 12:25 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Jon ,I always look foward to your comments you spend a lot of time and effort putting them togeather for all of us here

As a side note though I did get to drive a GT before signing my life away and here's what I found .

I had the good fortune to get a test drive with the sales manager of the dealership when Canada first received there new mustangs ,it was a black GT dark charcoal leather ,IUP with a 5 speed standard and only 50km on her.I drove the car in the city and the country to try out how she handled in both and it did not disappoint .What really sold me was the highway drive you could really hear her growl going through all the gears with the short throw shifter but when you put here in 5th and are up to speed ...smooth and quiet ...the sound of the motor die's out and just the cabin noise of the shaker that was turned way down .With good handleing and great looks you just can't go wrong :worship:
Old 2/2/05, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

What's Kimnach asking for the GT's? They have a few listed on their site. I know no one takes Xplan off the lot....
Old 2/2/05, 09:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I agree, Rip - growls when you want it, civilized when you want it. A great combo. Thank you for the kind comments too! I would have written something with more details, but want to try and put some video together for it (in my EXTENSIVE free time, ha ha).

Jay, I have a shot of the sticker on the GT, but I need to check the video. The V6 was your typical $19,410 sticker. Really a heck of a deal at that price. No markup adjustment stickers on either, though. It's not often anymore that you look at the MSRP and STILL think it is a good deal.

I talked to them about ordering my vert with x-plan. Salesperson said it was no problem, then had to backpedal after talking to the sales manager. Current popularity of the Mustang, can't keep 'em in stock, blah blah blah.

I told him it is very simple. If he wants to have a shot at my business, quote me an x-plan price and deliver at x-plan price, or I will not be able to offer him my business.
Old 2/3/05, 04:48 AM
Cobra Member

Jon- As you can see by my sig, I've had mine on order for a while. The day I ordered I went to Beach Ford and they said no Xplan - they do now for ordering, Kimnach didn't even have one, so I went to Freedom Ford and they said sure we'll order one for ya, It'll be here by Christmas...... Kinda getting impatient now. Especially seeing I sold my truck in Dec, now I have to drive my Brother-in-laws KIA. I know Beach and Freedom will order them xplan. Good luck!
Old 2/3/05, 05:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I ordered mine from Cavalier X-Plan... Ordered in October took delivery first week of January...
Old 2/3/05, 10:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Jay, my friend, that is a long wait to not yet be serialized or have a VIN. Have you talked to your contact there recently? With IUP commodities at 100% this week, I would think they might want to pull your order up sometime!

Kevin, I've been by the Portsmouth Cavalier location (used to be Don Comer) and the salesperson there indicated they'd order x-plan. Of course, we'll see what happens when it gets passed to the sales manager.

I would tend to give them a shot because they'd be convenient for service.

Have you stopped driving her yet? You are going in the house and not sleeping in her, right?