2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

GT holds its own against Z28

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/04, 10:57 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now, I personally think that this new GT deserves more credit than even some of you are giving it, and yes I realize that the overall opinion of this car here is that we all love it, but I think it still deserves a lot more credit. Now I could be mistaken but I believe I have read a few comments over the past month or two that the Z28s would still be able to spank us, but tonight I have experienced my first encounter to test this, and I must say this GT can take it. A modded (not sure how much but it was) Z28 took me off the line as he approached (I was stopped and he was slowing to the red but it went green and so he had a rolling start) He didnt get but half a car length on me when I caught him, he started to ease off and then realized I was serious and gunned it. At speed we were neck and neck, until 3rd gear rev limited on me (I hate that feature) and I couldnt get it shifted in time, he pulled away and I was right on his tail, when fourth finally kicked in for me and I caught up to his passenger door. We continued this until the road started to narrow to one lane due to construction, and so I figured enough was enough and eased off to let him get in front and flashed my lights to tip my hat to him. We pulled up to the next light and I got into the turn lane and we sat there complimenting each others rides, his light went green and he gunned it and I sat and waited to make my left. Now not only did my car hold up against a nicely modded Z28 (late model) but I also didnt push my car to it limits because I was giving a coworker a ride home and she got scared at 80, so after that speed I was only going lite on the throttle. All in all I am greatly pleased with the performance of this car, I had thought that the Z28s shouldve been able to still put in a good showing, but I would definately say that a stock one wouldnt stand a chance.

PLEASE NOTE this was done on a wide 4 lane perfectly straight street at night with absolutely no other cars in sight, away from any residential area heading into an industrial area. Not to make street racing ok, but it wasnt done with stupid decision making like the ricers do through busy streets. So please no hating I just figured this would be a good relatively safe chance to see how this car stacked up to other American Muscle.
Old 12/24/04, 11:28 PM
FR500 Member

sounds good. i can only imagine what a few light mods will do the 05
Old 12/25/04, 12:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

i would never own a camero cause they are butt ugly but my buddy has a 2002 ss with no mods, just the 345 hp it came with and it runs 13.20's all day long.... I cant wait till i get my GT in but I dont expect to come close to that stock.... maybe 13.6- 13.8 but no 13.2. Anyways I agree a few mods will push us over the ss/z28's but to be honest are they our compition anymore, they dont even make those POS's anymore.
Old 12/25/04, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

There is already a guy on here running 13.30s on here stock not even broke in yet.
Old 12/25/04, 08:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've beaten the Camaro SS, Camaro z28, Pontiac GTO, Trans Am (Wasn't a WS6 unfortunately), and just for fun the Ford Lightining on a sprint from 60mph to 120 mph on the freeway.....Haven't come across a Vette or WS6 that wanted any of me yet, but that time will come and we'll see how she does....seems that the mods I've made have put this car in another class then it was when I first got it! Happy modding and Merry Christmas fellow stangers!
Old 12/25/04, 08:31 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The LS1ites who think their engines are gods and untouchable will still be in denial regardless what happens. Like ricers, they'll make excuses.

The guys who know cars and drive on either side of the fence (Ford or Pontiac/Chevy LS1s) will realize its a drivers race and depending on mods etc.

Both great/fast cars, and good to hear the new GT is a rocket.

PS: Sidenote, I still love to hear LS1 guys who say the new GT isn't as fast as ______. They still haven't got the fact that speed isn't everything.
If it was, their cars would still be around.......
Old 12/25/04, 08:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Swingle007

Do you have little decals of the cars you beat on your car door, under your rank and name of course.
Old 12/25/04, 09:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

HAHAHA 38Special, not yet but it's a great idea for a t-shirt to wear around....all the cars with a big check sign by them in the "beaten" column....I've seen the surprised look on most of their faces when their car goes down in flames....they roll up on me and roll down their window and go "WOW!"......next time I see them they'll probably be driving a GT....heehee Fun to see your mods working in your favor, that's for sure......later.....

John
Old 12/25/04, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by swingle007@December 25, 2004, 9:26 AM
I've beaten the Camaro SS, Camaro z28, Pontiac GTO, Trans Am (Wasn't a WS6 unfortunately), and just for fun the Ford Lightining on a sprint from 60mph to 120 mph on the freeway.....Haven't come across a Vette or WS6 that wanted any of me yet, but that time will come and we'll see how she does....seems that the mods I've made have put this car in another class then it was when I first got it! Happy modding and Merry Christmas fellow stangers!
Swingle, what were your dyno numbers after those mods? If you don't mind my asking.
Old 12/25/04, 11:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@December 25, 2004, 10:34 AM
The LS1ites who think their engines are gods and untouchable will still be in denial regardless what happens. Like ricers, they'll make excuses.

The guys who know cars and drive on either side of the fence (Ford or Pontiac/Chevy LS1s) will realize its a drivers race and depending on mods etc.

Both great/fast cars, and good to hear the new GT is a rocket.

PS: Sidenote, I still love to hear LS1 guys who say the new GT isn't as fast as ______. They still haven't got the fact that speed isn't everything.
If it was, their cars would still be around.......
A well driven LS1 F-body and C5 will be slightly faster than the GT. If you race long enough, the GT will get smoked. The LS1 really shines in the higher gear and it seems like our engine runs out of steam.
Old 12/25/04, 11:25 AM
I Have No Life

Ok, define 'smoked'
half a car, 1 car, 2 cars, 0.4 seconds, 0.5 seconds....

And thats great and all... but lets say both cars get 13.3 quarter miles...
one with a high trap, one with a lower. All thats saying is that the one car shines in the beginning, and the other at the end. That doesn't quantify a car getting 'smoked'.

Are we talking stock/stock as well? Are we talking equal drivers? Are we talking better driver in the GT or a better driver in the LS1
Are we talking mod for mod....are you catching on yet?

I'm not knocking the LS1 here, but no car is god, and they seem to think it is.

My point is SO many factors effect the outcome, and WHERE you race.
If the 05 is better stoplight to stoplight as it is the better in the 'lower' half of the 1/4, you'll see people VERY surprised.
Old 12/25/04, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

I'd like to know his dyno too!
Old 12/25/04, 11:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@December 25, 2004, 1:28 PM
Ok, define 'smoked'
half a car, 1 car, 2 cars, 0.4 seconds, 0.5 seconds....

And thats great and all... but lets say both cars get 13.3 quarter miles...
one with a high trap, one with a lower. All thats saying is that the one car shines in the beginning, and the other at the end. That doesn't quantify a car getting 'smoked'.

Are we talking stock/stock as well? Are we talking equal drivers? Are we talking better driver in the GT or a better driver in the LS1
Are we talking mod for mod....are you catching on yet?

I'm not knocking the LS1 here, but no car is god, and they seem to think it is.

My point is SO many factors effect the outcome, and WHERE you race.
If the 05 is better stoplight to stoplight as it is the better in the 'lower' half of the 1/4, you'll see people VERY surprised.
In the quarter, it will be a few tenths of a second, but the LS1's trap speed will be significantly higher. This simply means that the GT gets out of the hole harder than the respective cars I mentioned above. If you compared 0-130 times of both car, the LS1 would be seconds ahead of the GT. This is where our cars will get smoke; if we keep on it past a quarter mile or a high speed highway run. I have a GT on order, but my friends are into LS1's and LS6's. A well driven LS1 or LS6 is faster than our cars, thats no suprise to me. My philosophy is to analyze the trap speed because that is an indicator of how much power the car is really making. The next step would be adding traction, which is simple.
Old 12/25/04, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

...just my .02

4.6 3v > LS1

and, on a side note, how heavy are the f-bodies?
Old 12/25/04, 01:54 PM
I Have No Life

So basically what you are saying then is:

'if its an 1/8th mile race the 05 will 'smoke' the LS1'
(cause its faster out the bottom end)

'its a drivers race, if its a 1320 foot race'
(cause they are so close numbers wise, one being better in the beginning, one better in the end)

'the LS1 will 'smoke' a GT if its anything longer than a quarter mile'
(cause its up top is better than the gearing/powercurve of the 3v 4.6)

That still doesn't signify any LS1 'smoking' any GTs, more saying than any GT will 'smoke' an LS1. Nor did we say that anywhere.

Back to the point, the term to 'smoke' is to pretty much decimate or obliterate. I don't see either of those cars doing that to each other.

Also you can look at trap times all you want, all a lower trap time means is that the car gained more speed in the beginning or end...
13.3@ 'x' or 13.3@ 'y'
1320 feet is 1320 feet, you can argue all you want about which car will 'gain' after that....but a 1/4 mile race ENDs at the quarter mile last time I checked.
Old 12/25/04, 02:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by TURBO 05@December 25, 2004, 1:47 AM
i would never own a camero cause they are butt ugly but my buddy has a 2002 ss with no mods, just the 345 hp it came with and it runs 13.20's all day long.... I cant wait till i get my GT in but I dont expect to come close to that stock.... maybe 13.6- 13.8 but no 13.2. Anyways I agree a few mods will push us over the ss/z28's but to be honest are they our compition anymore, they dont even make those POS's anymore.
LMAO! "All I know is that the 2005 Mustang will beat the 2005 Camaro.
Yet the camaro is extinct

I love to call the LS1s and LT1s POS'. O YAH!!!
Old 12/25/04, 03:24 PM

Side question....Does it count to smoke a STi? Or is that such a given that its like beating a Civic? I just want to know if I get a kill for that one or not? Smoke...3 or 4 car lengths from a stop out of a light?
Old 12/25/04, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Has anyone lined up an '05 GT with an earlier model 'Stang, w/ or w/o mods?!? (Not that I can't guess the outcome.)
Old 12/25/04, 03:44 PM

Ive physically lined mine up with several 60s mustangs, but they look so good next to each other we forget to race...LOL. Besides they already look fast at rest, who needs to race. It would be fun though, the ones Ive met on the street are restored and not modded, so they take it easy, but I know of several in my area that have tricked out 60s and early 70s stangs that would be up for the challenge, I just havent encountered them with the 05 yet, with my 98 yes and those things are quick. It will be fun. But its kind of like fighting with your brother, you feel bad win or lose.
Old 12/25/04, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Swingle007,

I love that you beat the GTO! My brother asked me today if I wanted to take the cars to the track and run 'em when the weather warms up. (he bought his GTO in Nov.) How close was it?

Quick Reply: GT holds its own against Z28