2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Grinding from 2nd to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/08, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by viiStang
I agree with your statement 100%. My first car was a 83 Benz 240D and even though that car was old as hell it was reliable and gave me little to no problems while I had it. Then I bought a new VW Jetta Wolfsburg and that car virtually gave me no problems at all and I had it for 6 years. The biggest thing was that after 6 years the battery died, go figure! That's a hell of a battery.

But my GT is my first American car and I gotta say so far I'm a little disappointed. This gear shift issue is one thing. The glass in my car fogs up like crazy in the cold compared to my last 2 cars. So far I've had it for 4 months and I'm enjoying it and don't regret my purchase at all. But American made cars aren't how they used to be. In my personal experience, you can't beat German engineering.
German cars have tons of issues. Just jump on one of their boards. Quality is not what they are best at. I have purchased 5 cars in the last 5 years. I still own 3. 1 Nissan, 1 1 subaru, 1 Dodge, 1 Pontiac, and now the Mustang. This is the first one out of any of them to have any issues except the Nissan had a seat belt tension issue. Just before that batch I had a Ford Expedition that was not only a great truck but took a 60mph hit in the side by an Xterra that we walked away from with just bruises, The truck was totaled and lost its front wheels but you should have seen the Xterra. It was a wonder they survived at all. Ford quality is nowhere near as bad as some would have you think compared to the other mfgs.

I will take this shifting issue in stride since I have only owned it for 2 days. Otherwise its a great car and I love it.
Old 3/14/08, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Interesting info?

Well my bad on the previous shifter change out recommendations! Sorry. But that fix has helped hundreds of Mustang owners for several years now! As a design engineer and Mustang owner myself, I wonder that this might be a possible syncro quality control problem with the 5-speed? Or possibly, even with the installation of same in the 2008 S197 GT production run? Have not heard! Wonder if a FoMoCo TSB has ever been issued with this stated drivetrain problem? Anyone out there on TMS Forum know if anything new is pending on this? Or if they have even, yet to address this current shifting concern system wide? If so, let us know!! CalStang
Old 3/14/08, 07:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
There's a huge TR-3650 thread on Stangnet that applies to all 2001-up 3650s.
Old 3/15/08, 06:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...highlight=3650

That's the huge thread I was talking about. The 2001-up TR-3650 isn't the highest quality manual gearbox. Being made in Mexico doesn't help things either.
Old 4/2/08, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

The dealer tod me they could do nothing since Ford engineering told them they are aware of it but have no fix as of yet. I have to live with it and any damage it might be doing until there is a fix. I called ford customer support and was told the same thing. I wanted an extended warranty because there is no way to tell when there might be a fix. The rep told me they could not do anything and sometimes cars have mechanical issues. Her attitude more then pi$$ed me off and I am waiting for her supervisor to call me. The funny thing is I could just keep putting it back in for service and have it lemon lawed after 15 days. Real stupid move on thier part.
Old 4/2/08, 01:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ford hasn't been able to figure out how to make a good TR-3650 since 2001.
Old 4/2/08, 04:17 PM
Cobra R Member

guys,

if you have the grinding issue, TAKE IT BACK to the dealer! I had mine rebuilt and now it's smooth as silk. The issue was with the synchros. Yah, it sucks to have these issues on such a new car, but as long as it gets resolved on Ford's bill.
Old 4/2/08, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ralph958
Just got a call from Ford. They said that there is a problem. They are ripping apart the transmission. I'm not happy. 350 miles and the syncro is bad ???
You know guys, I traded in a 2004 RX8 on this car. That car was (supposedly) a very unreliable car. I never had 1 problem with it in the 4 years I owned it. THis is the 1st American I have owned in many years. I'm sorry to say this but I don't think I would've ever had a problem like this with a Japanese car.
All in all , I really love the stang. I just hope they fix it and don't screw it up.I'm not sure how the lemon law works but I may have to find out.
I'll keep you all posted.
lol one problem and the guy is already talking lemon law
Old 4/2/08, 05:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hmmm I was thinking about buying a new RX8 but I heard the engine likes to guzzle oil and fuel.
Old 4/2/08, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

My '07 shifts very smoothly - I actually really like my shifter. But it tends to be very clunky between 1-2 and 2-3 - doesn't seemsto engage smoothly.

About a year ago, someone on this forum suggested not depressing the clutch all the way in...that seems to help somewhat. But I find it difficult to get a smooth 1-2 shift in mine, especially at lower RPMs. Shifting this car takes concentration. My old 5.0 seemed smoother.

(Please...I don't need to know that you shift perfectly every time, and yes, I've been driving sticks for 40 years. )

Last edited by davisinla; 4/2/08 at 06:20 PM.
Old 4/3/08, 07:49 AM

Well , I picked my 08 GT up a couple weeks ago. They replaced alot of parts in the tranny. I noticed that they listed the 3rd and 4th gear synchro was replaced. They said the old synchros looked fine but must've been machined improperly. If your tranny is grinding, it's definitely the synchros that are bad. Ford has a major quality problem with this tranny.Do not accept "normal" or "no known fix yet". Demand it to be fixed. Talk to regional manger if you have to. It takes a rebuild to get rid of it. Mine is shifting fine now. (still notchy between 2nd and 3rd.), but no grinding.

And to address metroplex, I traded in my 04 RX8 on this GT. The 8 was a great car. Tons of fun to drive. (manual). Handled better than the GT. Took it back for all the recalls. Owned it for 4 years. Never had any problems with it. The oil consumption is a myth. Yes you have to keep an eye on the oil level but mine used less than quart every 5k miles. The only issue is premium fuel and consistant 13.3mpg.
Old 4/3/08, 09:29 PM
GT Member

Hmm... my transmission said it was made in Mexico. I'm probably dumb, and everyone's is, but just throwing that out there.

I mean nothing bad by that, btw. lol.
Old 4/3/08, 11:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

And to address metroplex, I traded in my 04 RX8 on this GT. The 8 was a great car. Tons of fun to drive. (manual). Handled better than the GT. Took it back for all the recalls. Owned it for 4 years. Never had any problems with it. The oil consumption is a myth. Yes you have to keep an eye on the oil level but mine used less than quart every 5k miles. The only issue is premium fuel and consistant 13.3mpg.
so why didn't you just buy anther one of those?
Old 4/4/08, 06:50 AM

Wanted a muscle car.

Actually 4 years is long time for me to have a car. My nephew brought over his new Rousch and I really liked it. Went to a local Ford dealer and test drove a GT. Really impressed with the quality improvement in the 2005's & up. They made me good deal and I took it home. Aside from the tranny issue I'm really happy with it.
Old 4/4/08, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wanted a muscle car.
The only issue is premium fuel and consistant 13.3mpg.
One of the reasons I really like the Mustang is that while it's a true "muscle car", the mileage is pretty decent (when driven "normally" ) and it can run on regular (in stock tune).

I hang on the Mazda boards as well, and I know there's lots of enthusiasm for RX8s, but there's nothing like putting your foot in an American V8. (Axle-backs add to the experience. )

I hope your transmission problem is sorted out.

Last edited by davisinla; 4/4/08 at 08:41 AM.