Sponsored by:

Green Muscle?

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/08, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green Muscle?

So here's a question (not sure if it's been asked before):

If Ford eventually made a "green" Mustang, would you buy it?

If Ford made an electric Mustang, and it performed the same (or better) would you buy it?

Electric cars are starting to show some astounding potential and performance. With the exception of a loss of the sound, it's possible to make a fully electric Mustang. Something like the Wrightspeed X1.

Just what are we in love with? How much are we willing to change? (How much would we change to stay competitive?)

For me (and probably most others) losing that V8 sound would be a huge bummer, but the performance and environmental-ness (not to mention the decreased hit to my wallet) would be a plus.

Thoughts?
Old 7/3/08, 07:03 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
No, electric cars are nifty but lack something, sorta like diesel locomotives lack something compared to the steam engines they replaced, like the propeller driven ships lack something comapred to the tall ships they replaced.

Sure, a green Mustang would make a body feel all warm and fuzzy inside for granting a polar bear one extra day on the earth, but it would only be an appliance at best, not a Mustang.
Old 7/3/08, 08:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
My daily drivers for the past 20+ years have been 4 cyl. vehicles.
I have usually also had a powerful V8 car for the weekends and sunny days.
I bought the current Mustang for reasons that had nothing to do with gas mileage or the environment.
If the Mustang were strictly a green car, I would not have bought it.
For a price, there with always be big engine cars. I will always own one.
Old 7/3/08, 08:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Some guy from Ohio has a E-85 Fox body Stang getting over 100MPG.I'll find more info on this ride I just heard about this yesterday.
Old 7/3/08, 08:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Poco
Some guy from Ohio has a E-85 Fox body Stang getting over 100MPG.I'll find more info on this ride I just heard about this yesterday.
PROVE IT !!!!!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=469965
Old 7/4/08, 12:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

What if electric cars continue on their trend of growing performance? When the performance community begins looking at the V8 as a lawnmower, it'll be harder to tout it. That's a distant extreme, I know, but it's very much like a V8 owner looking at someone rolling up in a early kerosene powered carriage.

If we ignore the environmental side of the subject and focus just on the performance, how long do we cling to a technology that may go to the wayside? Is the Mustang ideal future-proof?
Old 7/4/08, 01:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I know I wouldn't want one. I know they can make 3 second 0-60 electric cars but half of the driving experience is the vibrations and sound of that rumbling v8. Not to mention that the batteries needed to give it any kind of decent range and power would make the thing 4000+ pounds. Ugh.
Old 7/4/08, 01:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they manufactured a Mustang with a stable, reliable NON-Internal Combustion Engine, decent performance, AND a reasonable price I'd certainly be willing to consider it...

Will Ford offer this as a factory option in my lifetime? I'm not holding my breath!
Old 7/4/08, 05:22 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrow
... If Ford eventually made a "green" Mustang, would you buy it?

... If Ford made an electric Mustang, and it performed the same (or better) would you buy it?

... How much are we willing to change?
Let me think about this for a minute so I can provide a sensible, polite, and precise response...

NO...

NO...

and

NONE FREAKING WHATSOEVER!!!

Old 7/4/08, 05:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
+1...

Originally Posted by karman
My daily drivers for the past 20+ years have been 4 cyl. vehicles.
I have usually also had a powerful V8 car for the weekends and sunny days.
I bought the current Mustang for reasons that had nothing to do with gas mileage or the environment.
If the Mustang were strictly a green car, I would not have bought it.
For a price, there with always be big engine cars. I will always own one.
Old 7/4/08, 05:48 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After seeing the power some electric cars are producing, **** right I would get one.
Old 7/4/08, 05:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Let me think about this for a minute so I can provide a sensible, polite, and precise response...

NO...

NO...

and

NONE FREAKING WHATSOEVER!!!

No....

No....

I already have a V6....no change needed.
Old 7/4/08, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I hate BUZZ words like Green. Everything has to be Green now, well you know what you can do with Green.
Old 7/4/08, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
I know I wouldn't want one. I know they can make 3 second 0-60 electric cars but half of the driving experience is the vibrations and sound of that rumbling v8. Not to mention that the batteries needed to give it any kind of decent range and power would make the thing 4000+ pounds. Ugh.
If the car had that kind of a performance, why would you care if it weighed as much as a...charger or Lamborghini Murcielago?

Plus, if battery performance history is anything, what is relevant today in terms of size and weight will mean nothing in 2-3 years.
Old 7/4/08, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

The problem with Electric Cars

I work in the power generation industry and have 30 years experience in electrical distribution and controls. There are many negatives to the electric car:

Batteries are more fussy than engines when it comes to maintenance and damage from improper usage. Even today, most batteries require constant maintenance!

Electrical power components are very heavy. A 300 horse motor can weigh as much as a whole car!

Finally, where does everyone think those electrons come from on the other side of the wall socket? A majority of our electrical power comes form dirty coal-fired and natural gas power plants, many which are old and have not been upgraded because a company can get "green credits" by building a small wind farm or owning a single nuclear plant. All we do with an electric car is to transfer the pollution source. In most cases, the modern auto generates less carbon emissions than a coal or gas plant.

SO why not use gas engines to generate electricity onboard. Every time you transfer the energy, it becomes less efficient. That's why turbolelctric drive was pahsed out on ships years ago in favor of reduction gears.
Old 7/4/08, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Juice
I work in the power generation industry and have 30 years experience in electrical distribution and controls. There are many negatives to the electric car:

Batteries are more fussy than engines when it comes to maintenance and damage from improper usage. Even today, most batteries require constant maintenance!

Electrical power components are very heavy. A 300 horse motor can weigh as much as a whole car!

These wheel motors are like 75 hp/200ftlbs and weigh about 50 pounds or less

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPSoNfmuBXc
Old 7/4/08, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Keio University prototype sedan Eliica is an 800hp in-wheel-electric-motor fully-fledge vehicle with a current range of 200+ miles. It's a very large luxury sedan sized car, and weighs 5,000 lbs. It accelerates faster than a Porsche 911, has a top speed of 230mph, and is said to corner better than a Ferrari.

Albeit it is a prototype, but it was built using technology available NOW as a concept car for what is possible in a production-class (non-race-stripped) car.

Yeah, you're not going to see any Eliicas going down the road anytime soon...but to ignore something like that is nuts.

The Wrightspeed X1 weighs 1500 lbs, yet its electric motor will accelerate two passengers from 0-60 in 3 seconds and has a range of over 100 miles urban on the lowest battery configuration.

Electric cars matching or besting the performance of conventional cars in the distant future? I don't think so.
Old 7/5/08, 12:17 AM
V6 Member

I wish I could say that the price of gas doesn't matter to me -- that I love my car so much I'll pay whatever it takes -- but it does matter. When I took delivery of my car in Feb. 2007, gas was about $2.20 a gallon. Not even a year-and-a-half later I'm paying $4.20 a gallon. That's a difference of about $30 per fill-up. My car's a daily driver, so I'm filling up about once a week, maybe a tad less, so my annual gas expense has gone from $1500 per year to more than $3000.

I love my car. It's the only V8 I have ever had and I love the sounds it makes.

I would miss that V8 sound a lot -- but if it performed as well as a V8, **** right I would buy one.
Old 7/5/08, 12:03 PM

Come on, what will we do with all those BIGa** batteries and the dangerous stuff inside them when they won't charge anymore or go bad?????? Where is the GREENNESS in that??

Drill Drill Drill and then Drill some more!!!

Last edited by wveil06; 7/5/08 at 12:05 PM.
Old 7/5/08, 12:51 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Good point.

The funny thing with many solutions to problems is they make things worst down the line and create bigger problems. Steam engines might be the answer but I am sure faults could be found with them as well.

Quick Reply: Green Muscle?