2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Greek Mustang?Co

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/06, 05:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, here's the deal. I plan on moving to Greece where my parents live (and where I happen to be posting from on vacation) and they wish to purchase a Mustang for me. I will want to take the car with me when I move in November or December and would like to know if anyone knows the procedure or has any experience in transporting cars internationally. I remember Peter taking his to Germany and would appreciate any feedback he would have as well. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Oh and BTW it would be a 2006 Screaming Yellow GT Premium with the Bright Machined Aluminum 17" wheels.

EDIT: Um, I'm not exactly sure how it happened but I seemed to have added a couple of extra letters to my title. Sorry.
Old 4/12/06, 05:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'd better try to order it from an European grey importer (many FORD dealers can help you). For example, you could buy it in Germany, have it modified for the EU regulations (it's just 2 extra lights to be embedded in the rear bumper) and then just drive it down to Greece. The extra money won't be more than what you'd have to pay yourself for import tax and shipping+registration. Furthermore, you'll have a warranty on it too! Look into the local Greek market, I'm sure you'll find something.

EDIT: I just found the website of such a Greek importer, maybe you could contact them for details: http://www.leonidisfamily.gr/en/contact.asp . They are an official FORD dealer and they DO import 2005+ Mustangs to Greece!
Old 4/12/06, 06:00 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't take it anywhere unless you have it paid off
Old 4/12/06, 06:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Louie @ April 12, 2006, 6:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You'd better try to order it from an European grey importer (many FORD dealers can help you). For example, you could buy it in Germany, have it modified for the EU regulations (it's just 2 extra lights to be embedded in the rear bumper) and then just drive it down to Greece. The extra money won't be more than what you'd have to pay yourself for import tax and shipping+registration. Furthermore, you'll have a warranty on it too! Look into the local Greek market, I'm sure you'll find something.

EDIT: I just found the website of such a Greek importer, maybe you could contact them for details: http://www.leonidisfamily.gr/en/contact.asp . They are an official FORD dealer and they DO import 2005+ Mustangs to Greece!
[/b][/quote]

Thank you VERY much. That's exactly what I was looking for. Also, they happen to be in the same city I'm currently in so I may be going by for a visit before I leave on Saturday.
If I did get it in the US, it would be completely paid off before I move later in the year.
Old 4/12/06, 06:19 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
as a rule, personal imports are generally 20% cheaper that buying from an importer when all said and done. Remember that the importer needs to make his profit.

Another option is to get a second hand one. There are several for sale now in the uk that are about 30% less than a new imported vehicle. Plus, remember that you can buy anywhere in the EU and get your car registered in greece.
Old 4/12/06, 06:23 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jgsmuzzy @ April 12, 2006, 2:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Another option is to get a second hand one. There are several for sale now in the uk that are about 30% less than a new imported vehicle. Plus, remember that you can buy anywhere in the EU and get your car registered in greece.
[/b][/quote]

As long as he can live with a second-hand car, it is indeed the best way to go!
Old 4/12/06, 06:52 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

How is he going to drive it from England to Greece? Maybe if he drove real fast and hydroplaned?
Old 4/12/06, 07:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I could put it on skis and tow it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I think he means using the chunnel.
Old 4/12/06, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ April 12, 2006, 2:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How is he going to drive it from England to Greece? Maybe if he drove real fast and hydroplaned?
[/b][/quote]

Eurotunnel.
Old 4/12/06, 07:57 PM

If you are moving to Greece from the USA you might want to consider buying the car in the US and ship it over.

I am originally from the Netherlands. One of my friends bought a 2005 mustang from an importer for 40 000 euros.

I moved to the US in 1999 and went back to the Netherlands in 2001 only to return later that year back to the US.

Anyways, when I moved back to the netherlands I brought a car with me. The beauty is that when you move, you don't have to pay import tax. (You have to have been living in the states for longer then a year).

Shipping it from NJ to Amsterdam costed me $800.
Old 4/12/06, 08:52 PM
GTR Member

Just be careful not to drop your keys over there [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/13/06, 01:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjboerma @ April 12, 2006, 9:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If you are moving to Greece from the USA you might want to consider buying the car in the US and ship it over.

I am originally from the Netherlands. One of my friends bought a 2005 mustang from an importer for 40 000 euros.

I moved to the US in 1999 and went back to the Netherlands in 2001 only to return later that year back to the US.

Anyways, when I moved back to the netherlands I brought a car with me. The beauty is that when you move, you don't have to pay import tax. (You have to have been living in the states for longer then a year).

Shipping it from NJ to Amsterdam costed me $800.
[/b][/quote]

If you don't mind me asking, what shipping company did you use because $800 seems like a great deal from looking around. Even if it's just in Amsterdam, that would be awesome to drive it back across Europe. Thanks for the info everyone. Oh and ha, ha, Boltzman [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eyebrow.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]