2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Got Pulled Over This Morning, First Time

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/05, 04:33 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has anyone tryed to have a vinyl sign guy to duplicate your plate for the front?
no holes?
Old 3/13/05, 04:40 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in Cali, Southern Cali. Drove my 99 GT with no front plate for 6 years, not a single problem. Got a few tickets in it, but none for the plate. Since having my 05, I have been scrutinized by ALOT of cops, and not a single ticket for plates. Actually, no tickets period. (knocking on a lot of wood).

I had heard they have to report it, but I dont believe it. My dealer doesnt put the front plate on unless you request it.

There are two reasons for a front plate... 1. Back mounted laser speed detectors. He clocks you as you come up on him, then can grab your plate info. 2. Camera lights. Those lights actually take anywhere from 3-5 pictures. The first is the most incriminating, it has a clear shot of your face, and the vehicle with plate. However, those lights also take a picture from the back. They CAN issue you a ticket for the front plate if you set one of those off running a yellow too late.

One of our local Stangers just got a ticket for his missing front plate, he was in LA, not even IN his car! Gotta love THAT.
Old 3/13/05, 05:17 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

To me, if its the law to have a front plate, you have to put one on. The fact he only gave you with a warning is pretty good IMO.

If you choose not to have a front plate, just be prepared to face the consequences as if you were knowingly breaking any other law. Laws in principle wouldn't work if people obeyed them if the "felt like it".

Now, that being said, I don't like my front plate either......and rather not have it. But, it doesn't look all that bad and its in a good spot.

That's just my $0.02.

P.S. Your car isn't exactly inconspicuous.....it draws attention.....a cop probably quickly glances at your car for a reason to pull you over. I figure you can't have a car which draws that much attention (plus your rims), not have a front plate and expect not to get pulled over eventually. Like the old saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 3/13/05, 05:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Dan@March 13, 2005, 6:20 PM
To me, if its the law to have a front plate, you have to put one on. The fact he only gave you with a warning is pretty good IMO.

If you choose not to have a front plate, just be prepared to face the consequences as if you were knowingly breaking any other law. Laws in principle wouldn't work if people obeyed them if the "felt like it".

Now, that being said, I don't like my front plate either......and rather not have it. But, it doesn't look all that bad and its in a good spot.

That's just my $0.02.

P.S. Your car isn't exactly inconspicuous.....it draws attention.....a cop probably quickly glances at your car for a reason to pull you over. I figure you can't have a car which draws that much attention (plus your rims), not have a front plate and expect not to get pulled over eventually. Like the old saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Dan,
Totally agree, but one can hope right?? The hope fell through unfortunately.

Old 3/13/05, 06:01 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by DADS05@March 13, 2005, 1:45 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry:
Guess he had nothing better to do like stop a murder somewhere.
Actually stops like these, for minor violations, can lead to bigger fish (killer's) and are actually can be good police work. The guy that killed the federal judge's mother/husband was stopped for a minor violation right before he shot himself. No front license plate can be a good probable cause stop to find something more serious, ie. warrant, drugs, guns, etc. The fact that he only gave a warning shows that the officer wasn't too concerned about enforcing the 2 plate law other wise he wouldn't have given a rat's A** about your lame excuse about the bracket that everyone uses (I've heard that one many times as I'm sure he has too.)
Old 3/13/05, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Luckily you weren't on the GSP or the Turnpike today, the Troopers were pulling everyone over. And some weren't for speeding, they were checking inspection stickers.
Old 3/13/05, 07:37 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by rap1977+March 13, 2005, 7:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rap1977 @ March 13, 2005, 7:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DADS05@March 13, 2005, 1:45 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry:
Guess he had nothing better to do like stop a murder somewhere.
Actually stops like these, for minor violations, can lead to bigger fish (killer's) and are actually can be good police work. The guy that killed the federal judge's mother/husband was stopped for a minor violation right before he shot himself. No front license plate can be a good probable cause stop to find something more serious, ie. warrant, drugs, guns, etc. The fact that he only gave a warning shows that the officer wasn't too concerned about enforcing the 2 plate law other wise he wouldn't have given a rat's A** about your lame excuse about the bracket that everyone uses (I've heard that one many times as I'm sure he has too.)
[/b][/quote] Something else, as well -- as I understand it a cop has an obligation to stop any crime that comes to his attention. Anything. If it is against the law, and he sees you doing it, he is obligated to take action. Part of the responsibility that comes with being an officer of the peace.

So it may not have anything to do with him being mean, or singling anyone out, etc. It's his job, period.

Dave
Old 3/13/05, 07:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You should've peeled off when he walked back to the car!
Old 3/13/05, 07:52 PM
GT Member

What about just throwing the plate up on the dash? It's still viewable from the front. That's how I do it with my Firebird. One reason because the car itself was not designed for a front plate and the bracket for it sticks out a good 4 inches on the curved nose.
Old 3/13/05, 09:24 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt+March 13, 2005, 8:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(97svtgoin05gt @ March 13, 2005, 8:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dan@March 13, 2005, 6:20 PM

That's just my $0.02.

Dan,
Totally agree, but one can hope right?? The hope fell through unfortunately.

[/b][/quote]

I know......just when you thought you could get away with it. Problem is now....if you get caught again with a warning, then you're up a creek.

Its some law of the world......The "What are the chances?" Law I'd call it. You're number seems to always come up. That's life for you.
Old 3/13/05, 10:21 PM

Yep, say hello to a little thing called PC (probable cause) where it's not so much about enforcing seemingly meaningless laws, but rather providing police officers the excuse to take a closer look at you. That missing plate just becomes a big neon sign that says "hey come pull me over." Then, once they do, they now have to legal authority to check your license, your insurance, run you for warrants and have a look around the inside of your car for stuff like drugs.

You would be amazed how many people go to jail for warrants or suspended license because they didn't have a front plate, had a burned out license plate light, or had stuff hanging from their rear view mirror.

Besides, I think it would be a real tragedy to hear about some small child being struck and killed by a hit and run driver only to discover that the sole eye witness was unable to get the vehicle license because the driver didn't have a front plate.

Personally, I don't run a front plate and probably don't ever plan to. But I'm perfectly willing to accept the consequences of my actions if my luck runs out.
Old 3/13/05, 10:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mrv8outboard@March 13, 2005, 5:36 PM
has anyone tryed to have a vinyl sign guy to duplicate your plate for the front?
no holes?

Old 3/13/05, 11:04 PM
V6 Member

You can always install one of these to your car. It retracts when the car is shut off and displays when you start the car.

Dan Fink Retractaplate
Old 3/14/05, 12:06 AM

Here in NJ they don't require you to have a front license plate, but they DO require a front plate. If not the state issued license type, you must at least have some other plate (novelty) on the front of your car.
Why? ... because that is where police are trained to aim the laser to catch you speeding and it just happens to be one of the most reflective parts of your vehicle (which laser-radar depends on). Read up on the subject of radar and laser guns and the practices of employing them and evading them.

... and just an observation from driving I-95 between here (Jersey) and Philly (PA has no front plate requirement).
I see more of my fellow NJ drivers pulled over on the side of the highway than I do the locals.
Could this be credited to the more easily tagged cars... probably not, but I'd imagine at least in some instances it can be.
More so I'd attribute it to PA dropping the I-95 speed limit to 55 MPH from 65 MPH.
An aside, you PA drivers (well it's not isolated to you guys but the sheer amount makes you an easy target) need to learn to use your signals, especially when changing lanes.
Old 3/14/05, 03:08 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by rap1977@March 13, 2005, 7:04 PM
Actually stops like these, for minor violations, can lead to bigger fish (killer's) and are actually can be good police work. The guy that killed the federal judge's mother/husband was stopped for a minor violation right before he shot himself. No front license plate can be a good probable cause stop to find something more serious, ie. warrant, drugs, guns, etc....
Yup. Screw the spirit of the 4th amendment, let's make enough bad laws that every cop will have an excuse for invading the privacy of any individual, so they can search at will. That will increase the bond between our law enforcement and our public.

Look, we all know front license plates, many traffic violations, many fix-it tickets, window tinting and other laws are nuisances that yank the rights of privacy away from individuals so that cops can skirt the 4th amendment. And it does help cops make drug busts (if you ignore what a failure prohibition has been), and other crimes. But we also know it is abused daily, probably 10 times for every one time it helps. These are the tools for harassing people for DWB, or a dozen other things. It is bad law. It is bad that the legislature and public allow it (and violates the spirit of the constitution), and it is bad for cops to use it, because it turns the community against them more than it helps. But let's pretend that because cops can use it to harass the bad guys, that the rest of us will somehow ignore what it truly means.
Old 3/14/05, 07:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by dke@March 14, 2005, 4:11 AM
...These are the tools for harassing people for DWB...
Driving while Bimmer?

There was a saying when I worked for the police department: "New cops make ten car stops for every one arrest. Old cops make one car stop for every one arrest."

I agree that lack of a front plate or having limo tint shouldn't be used as an excuse for a fishing expedition by unseasoned cops. But they can be an excellent tool for an experienced cop to stop a known bad guy he has good reason to suspect has weapons, drugs or warrants, IMHO.
Old 3/14/05, 08:30 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by dke+March 14, 2005, 4:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dke @ March 14, 2005, 4:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-rap1977@March 13, 2005, 7:04 PM
Actually stops like these, for minor violations, can lead to bigger fish (killer's) and are actually can be good police work. The guy that killed the federal judge's mother/husband was stopped for a minor violation right before he shot himself. No front license plate can be a good probable cause stop to find something more serious, ie. warrant, drugs, guns, etc....
Yup. Screw the spirit of the 4th amendment, let's make enough bad laws that every cop will have an excuse for invading the privacy of any individual, so they can search at will. That will increase the bond between our law enforcement and our public.

Look, we all know front license plates, many traffic violations, many fix-it tickets, window tinting and other laws are nuisances that yank the rights of privacy away from individuals so that cops can skirt the 4th amendment. And it does help cops make drug busts (if you ignore what a failure prohibition has been), and other crimes. But we also know it is abused daily, probably 10 times for every one time it helps. These are the tools for harassing people for DWB, or a dozen other things. It is bad law. It is bad that the legislature and public allow it (and violates the spirit of the constitution), and it is bad for cops to use it, because it turns the community against them more than it helps. But let's pretend that because cops can use it to harass the bad guys, that the rest of us will somehow ignore what it truly means.
[/b][/quote]

First off, I don't believe requiring a front plate is a bad law. It allows for better identification of a vehicle fleeing a crime scene as well as allowing officers to read on comming traffic's plates and comparing to their hot sheet or some wanted vehicle. As for limo tint, that law is 100% for officer/public safety. Picture walking up to a car that has tint so dark you can't even tell if it is occupied. The driver could be pointing a gun at the officer as he approaches, victim's of hit-and-run's and other crimes might have a more difficult time ID'ing offenders. If you or anyone doesn't want to be stopped and "harrassed," just follow the law and don't give us a reason to stop you. DWB, that one makes me laugh, maybe cause I work in an all black neighborhood. Anyone I stop is DWB. You don't know how may times I've heard, "you only stopped me cause I'm black." No, I stopped you cause you failed to stop at that stop sign. Then they yell a racial slur at me and I try to control my laughter cause he's the racist, not me. DWB, while it does exist in a limited way with certain racist officers, ie. stopping a black motorist in a 'white' neighborhood without PC, is generall just an excuse for liberals to attack law enforcement. Sorry for the rant.
Old 3/14/05, 08:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[/quote] Something else, as well -- as I understand it a cop has an obligation to stop any crime that comes to his attention. Anything. If it is against the law, and he sees you doing it, he is obligated to take action. Part of the responsibility that comes with being an officer of the peace.

So it may not have anything to do with him being mean, or singling anyone out, etc. It's his job, period.

Dave
[/quote]

nahhh....Can't speak about all states but most have discretion built into the law on misdemeanors. These are all misdemeanors. If an officer arrested for every violation we wouldnt have jails big enough to hold everyone or enough officers to do it. Now if they fail to take action on a felony or a warrant from a magistrate/judge then they might find themselves in some hot water.
Sometimes family violence cases have mandatory arrests but there is no obligation for every violation that they see to take action.

My crystal ball says that these kinds of posts will continue forever.

Old 3/14/05, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I actually got pulled over in Mississippi (i think) in my sister's saturn vue because the frame around her rear license plate obscured parts of the plate. Not the letters, just part of the white space.

Friggin BS man. It's just a ploy to check inside your car and check if you're drunk or high or something.
Old 3/14/05, 08:59 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

I wasn't accusing every cop that pulls someone over as being a racist. Hardly. (I'm white). And I think people cry racism too often (but that's a separate issue). But the facts are that there are SOME ****** in every business. And dumb laws empower them more. (That was all I was trying to say).

Front license plates don't help much. I bet if you checked less than 5% of all licenses that have been gotten regarding a crime have been fronts. So it is a bureaucratic law. And if cops had the power to kick in any door for any reason, it would lead to a lot of legitimate arrests; but that isn't a good enough excuse for all bad ones.

I agree that limo tint makes a cops life harder. So do most of our freedoms, the bill of rights, and so on. In states that don't have it, the death rate isn't measurably higher than in states that do have laws against it. It could be solved much better with a policy that cops that pull people over just say, "roll down your windows" over their PA.

The point I was making is that there are a bazillion bad laws. The claim that, "don't break laws and you won't have anything to worry about" it crap. In California a stick is a felony, a circular saw blade is a felony to own, you can be arrested and harassed for so many things that no one is safe. (Seriously). The cops attitude is that it empowers them to get the bad guys. Yup. It does. And it also empowers the bad cops to abuse them, and it drives a wedge between the cops and society. (Us versus them). So society should stop being so "liberal" with their goose stepping intrusions on our freedoms (and bad laws), and cops themselves should fight against these things (with their unions, and votes) instead of fighting for them. Or grow up and accept that "Us versus them" is as much (or more) the fault of cops as society at large.

Quick Reply: Got Pulled Over This Morning, First Time