2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Got in an accident... Question about replacement parts...

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/07 | 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Angry Got in an accident... Question about replacement parts...

Well, I survived 9 years of driving, including 4 in Tampa (the worst drivers on the planet), and finally got in an accident. Thankfully it wasn't too bad.

As I was making a left turn (with a green arrow) through a busy intersection on Saturday night, some woman decided to blow through the red light coming from the driver's side. She ALMOST missed me, but clipped my rear bumper and very end of the quarter panel. I'm fine, she was ok, and her insurance company has already accepted liability, so it looks like everything will work out well enough.

Damage to my car includes:
-Driver's side quarter panel
-Rear Bumper
-Driver's side muffler (goodbye new SLP LM's )
-Possibly the trunk, as it's sitting about 1/4 - 1/2 " higher than it should, but that's probably due to the quarter panel.

Now my question is this: I always see people upgrading parts when they have to have insurance work done after an accident. I'm wondering how to go about this. The only thing I'd like to do differently is change from the OEM GT bumper to the GT/CS rear bumper. Who do I talk to about that, the body shop or the insurance company? What are the steps for getting something like that done?
Old 9/17/07 | 12:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Talk to your estimater, at the body shop and give them the part number. I done this and well before the most recent hike it was not an issue. The GT/CS bumper is just another part number and all.
Old 9/17/07 | 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I think it depends on local laws as well as what insurance company your usings.

When I have a fender bender, I can use whatever body shop I choose, which may be true for all states, but anyhow back to the point. Sometimes you have to talk to the estimator or shop, and they will do it, and you pay the diffrence out of pocket.

My personal favorite, some insurnace companies, like mine, just mail you a check and do what you will
Old 9/17/07 | 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

When I had my accident back in March, I told my insurance company (after the estimate) that I had planned on customizing my Mustang and that I would be taking it to a different shop than the one they wanted me to take mine. I asked them to just cut me the check for the damage and I would take care of it on my own. Two days later I got the check and 3 days after that my car was in the shop for her make over.
Old 9/19/07 | 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Does anyone know if the price on the GT/CS bumper cover is still the same as the GT bumper cover? I checked Ford Direct Online, and it looks like they're still the same MSRP on that site.

Also, anyone know if it's going to cost me extra to have the center diffuser section of the CS bumper painted black? Is there a particular paint code for that matte black color?
Old 9/20/07 | 06:33 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Of course it will cost extra to paint it, more set up, more materials. Is it even painted on the GT/CS cars?
Old 9/20/07 | 06:43 AM
Cobra Member

I think Edmonton, Alberta has the unfortunate claim of the world's worst drivers. Sorry to hear you had an accident though. My 05 got rear ended in July 06, it was fixed in about 10 days. According to the autobody shop the parts from Ford were relatively inexpensive. I Agree that the new bumper you want is probably just a part number to the insurance company.
Old 9/26/07 | 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by titanjc
Does anyone know if the price on the GT/CS bumper cover is still the same as the GT bumper cover? I checked Ford Direct Online, and it looks like they're still the same MSRP on that site.

Also, anyone know if it's going to cost me extra to have the center diffuser section of the CS bumper painted black? Is there a particular paint code for that matte black color?
The center diffuser of the GT/CS rear bumper is already a flat black, why paint over it unless you want it a gloss black?
Old 9/26/07 | 05:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by titanjc
Well, I survived 9 years of driving, including 4 in Tampa (the worst drivers on the planet),
Tampa drivers are the worst, sorry to hear about your accident. Where did your accident happen at?