2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Compass Temperature Mirror Installed

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/06, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second what Art said, his is an excellent explaination of the temp sensor install. That is just the way I ran the wire for my temp sensor. The wires for the temp sensor plug right into the back of the mirror, as they are powered by the mirror itself. I put my temp sensor it a slightly different place it sounds like though. I put it right in the front middle of the car, under the plastic piece that covers the top of the radiator. It is ahead of the radiator and a/c condensor that way, and I positioned it so that the Mustang emblem on the grill hides it so it can't be seen. This way it is shielded from the sun and wind, but is ahead of the heat in the engine bay. I can also access it very easily if I need to by just popping the plastic radiator cover. The temps it gives are matching exactly with what the aviation weather obsevation station at work is calling, so I know it is accurate. Below are some pics that will hopefully show better what I am trying to explain. It is the little black plastic looking thing under the black plastic cover attached to the silver brace...clear as mud
Attached Thumbnails Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Compass Temperature Mirror Installed-temp-sensor-1-small-.jpg   Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Compass Temperature Mirror Installed-temp-sensor-2-small-.jpg   Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Compass Temperature Mirror Installed-temp-sensor-3-small-.jpg  
Old 12/18/06, 07:10 PM
V6 Member

Buster,

How long did it take for you to install your mirror with the temp sensor? Also, thanks for the photos!

Rusty
Old 12/18/06, 07:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
I second what Art said, his is an excellent explaination of the temp sensor install. That is just the way I ran the wire for my temp sensor. The wires for the temp sensor plug right into the back of the mirror, as they are powered by the mirror itself. I put my temp sensor it a slightly different place it sounds like though. I put it right in the front middle of the car, under the plastic piece that covers the top of the radiator. It is ahead of the radiator and a/c condensor that way, and I positioned it so that the Mustang emblem on the grill hides it so it can't be seen. This way it is shielded from the sun and wind, but is ahead of the heat in the engine bay. I can also access it very easily if I need to by just popping the plastic radiator cover. The temps it gives are matching exactly with what the aviation weather obsevation station at work is calling, so I know it is accurate. Below are some pics that will hopefully show better what I am trying to explain. It is the little black plastic looking thing under the black plastic cover attached to the silver brace...clear as mud
Buster,

One more question. Where did you run the wire in the engine bay to get it where you have it now?

Thanks

Rusty
Old 12/18/06, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

When you pull off the right front wheel and tire, and then take off the plastic wheel well inner liner, it will all become clear to you. You will be able to see where the wires go through the firewall, and you will see a wire loom that goes to the front towards the grill. Just use plastic zip ties to attach the temp sensor wire loom to that wire loom, and then pull off the top plastic radiator cover, and you will clearly see how you need to run the wires. It will go behind the headlight and foglight and towards the front center of the car. Since I have a 14 month old toddler at home, I don't get a lot of uninterputed time to work, so I ran the temp sensor one day, which with him wanting to help took about and hour, and then tapped into the wiring and finished the mirror install a week later, which took about another hour. If you had no interuptions, you could do the whole thing in around an hour.
Old 12/18/06, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

When you pull off the right front wheel and tire, and then take off the plastic wheel well inner liner, it will all become clear to you. You will be able to see where the wires go through the firewall, and you will see a wire loom that goes to the front towards the grill. Just use plastic zip ties to attach the temp sensor wire loom to that wire loom, and then pull off the top plastic radiator cover, and you will clearly see how you need to run the wires. It will go behind the headlight and foglight and towards the front center of the car. Since I have a 14 month old toddler at home, I don't get a lot of uninterputed time to work, so I ran the temp sensor one day, which with him wanting to help took about and hour, and then tapped into the wiring and finished the mirror install a week later, which took about another hour. If you had no interuptions, you could do the whole thing in around an hour.
Old 12/19/06, 02:30 AM
V6 Member

Buster,

Thanks. I appreciate the info. Hopefully if I get it in time will work on installing it on Saturday. I have an 06 GT so I will have to run to the fuse box to get power being I didn't have the upgraded mirror to begin with. The guy I bought it from on ebay said that he had several people with Mustang's put them in themselves with no trouble. He also told me to email him if I had any problems. Anyway, Thanks again for the info. I didn't buy the Mustang for gadgets, but I do love them, and everyone that has one of these really seem to enjoy them.

Rusty
Old 12/19/06, 12:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
+1 on Buster's 1 hour install time frame.

Make sure before you start that you go to Kragen's (or some auto parts store like that) and get the "Add a Circuit" fuse tap. I got two, one for the constant power source (required for the Homelink) and another for the switched source. That will make your job go a LOT easier. Running the wiring was easy.

Be careful removing the stock mirror, be sure to pry GENTLY and not against the glass. You'll know what I mean when you see it.
Old 12/20/06, 06:27 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc

Make sure before you start that you go to Kragen's (or some auto parts store like that) and get the "Add a Circuit" fuse tap. I got two, one for the constant power source (required for the Homelink) and another for the switched source. That will make your job go a LOT easier. Running the wiring was easy.

Be careful removing the stock mirror, be sure to pry GENTLY and not against the glass. You'll know what I mean when you see it.
Art,

Thanks. Is the "Add a Circuit" fuse tap a block? Where did you install it?

Rusty
Old 12/20/06, 06:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Rusty
Art,

Thanks. Is the "Add a Circuit" fuse tap a block? Where did you install it?

Rusty
Art,

Never mind. I just looked one up on the internet. That is really a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Here is one of the links for others interested.

http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/l...th=03.0211.jpg

Thanks again,

Rusty
Old 12/20/06, 06:54 PM
V6 Member

Art,

Never mind. I just looked one up on the internet. That is really a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Here is one of the links for others interested.

http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/l...th=03.0211.jpg

Thanks again,

Rusty
Art,

One more question? Which fuse did you jump off of?

Thanks

Rusty
Old 12/20/06, 08:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

If you park your Mustang outside your house like I do, it's not a great idea to use always-on power to the Homelink. If some breaks into your car, they have an easy way into your house. I tapped only switched power for both the mirror and Homelink on mine.
Old 12/20/06, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ChrisM
If you park your Mustang outside your house like I do, it's not a great idea to use always-on power to the Homelink. If some breaks into your car, they have an easy way into your house. I tapped only switched power for both the mirror and Homelink on mine.

Silly question I guess, but if you have a garage, why would you park your Mustang outside?
Old 12/22/06, 09:05 AM
V6 Member

Art,

One more thing. Going to install the mirror this weekend. Which fuse locations did you use for "constant power" and for "switched power"? I got the "add a circuits" and I appreciate that info. It really looks like it makes the installation a lot simpler.

Thanks

Rusty
Old 12/22/06, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Art,

One more thing. Going to install the mirror this weekend. Which fuse locations did you use for "constant power" and for "switched power"? I got the "add a circuits" and I appreciate that info. It really looks like it makes the installation a lot simpler.

Thanks

Rusty
I'm at work now but I'll pop the cover off when I get out of the office and look.

I'll check back in a few with the answer!

ChrisM: I was under the impression that if you do NOT have the constant power to the mirror it would lose its memory? (ie, your Homelink code and compass settings) Check me if I am wrong?
Old 12/22/06, 10:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm at work now but I'll pop the cover off when I get out of the office and look.

ChrisM: I was under the impression that if you do NOT have the constant power to the mirror it would lose its memory? (ie, your Homelink code and compass settings) Check me if I am wrong?
I don't know how it does it but mine doesn't lose any settings by being shut off when the car is shut off. Mine's the Subaru variety but I think they're all made by Gentex.
Old 12/22/06, 10:24 PM
V6 Member

Art,

Thanks so much.

Rusty
Old 12/22/06, 10:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
Silly question I guess, but if you have a garage, why would you park your Mustang outside?
She who must be obeyed gets to park in the garage! I could too but my part of the garage space is taken up with 20+ boxes of parts, rebuilt 302 V8 and C4 automatic trans for the 1967 Mustang coupe that's currently at the resto shop for body work and paint.

Little does she know that when the '67 comes back (naked of course but pretty) it gets the parking space in the garage!
Old 12/23/06, 01:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK, I made it home. Took a few pix for you as well.

FUSE TAPS: I added two taps - one to Fuse 4 (power mirrors) for the constant power supply wire, and one to Fuse 7 (overdrive cancel) for the switched wire. I have a stick shift yet the "overdrive cancel" was switched hot, so you should be OK using this fuse.

Pic on the left with arrows shows you exactly where I added the fuse taps.

TEMP SENSOR: I clipped the temp sensor to the foam plastic shroud that is in front of the A/C condenser mounting brackets. It isn't necessary for you to take the bumper off like I did in the pic, I was doing other work (installing the HID foglights) and happened to take a snap that shows off the temp sensor. This is an ideal place for the sensor because you don't get much heat soak, and that keeps the mirror readout pretty accurate.

Middle pic with arrows.

Last pic shows finished mirror. Ain't she pretty?

I hope this helps! Let me know if any questions.
Attached Thumbnails Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Compass Temperature Mirror Installed-fuses-gentex.jpg   Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Compass Temperature Mirror Installed-fuses-gentex-2.jpg   Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Compass Temperature Mirror Installed-gentex-mirror-installed.jpg  
Old 12/23/06, 05:35 AM
V6 Member

OK, I made it home. Took a few pix for you as well.

FUSE TAPS: I added two taps - one to Fuse 4 (power mirrors) for the constant power supply wire, and one to Fuse 7 (overdrive cancel) for the switched wire. I have a stick shift yet the "overdrive cancel" was switched hot, so you should be OK using this fuse.

Pic on the left with arrows shows you exactly where I added the fuse taps.

TEMP SENSOR: I clipped the temp sensor to the foam plastic shroud that is in front of the A/C condenser mounting brackets. It isn't necessary for you to take the bumper off like I did in the pic, I was doing other work (installing the HID foglights) and happened to take a snap that shows off the temp sensor. This is an ideal place for the sensor because you don't get much heat soak, and that keeps the mirror readout pretty accurate.

Middle pic with arrows.

Last pic shows finished mirror. Ain't she pretty?

I hope this helps! Let me know if any questions.
Art,

Man, I didn't mean for you to go to all that trouble but I sure appreciate the pictures and the information. It really helped me out. You and these forums have been so valuable and have saved me a good bit of money. I couldn't have justified this mirror for what the dealership wanted. Through this forum; found the mirror on Ebay and got the help to install. Can't beat that. I really appreciate the "extra mile" you went on this to get the information and the pictures.

Thanks again.

Rusty
Old 12/23/06, 07:58 PM
V6 Member

Thank You

Craig and Art,

Wanted to thank you both for posting the information that you have on this thread about installing the Homelink mirror. Installed it today. With your advise it made it a breeze. I am so happy with this mirror. It is amazing to watch it "dim down" and bright lights are no longer a problem. Everything worked great.

Again, Thanks for the time, the pictures and the advice. It was very much appreciated.

Rusty

Quick Reply: Gentex Homelink Auto-dimming Compass Temperature Mirror Installed