2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Gear oil behind rear driveshaft flange?!

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/18, 05:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Gear oil behind rear driveshaft flange?!

I did do a search, honest engine! So with that outta the way...

In case y'all don't know (how?!), Awesome is a 2006 Ford Mustang GT, stock driveline except lowered an inch and upgraded suspension components thereto. Stock 4.6L engine, stock TR3650 trans and shifter, stock two piece driveshaft, stock axle/diff, even stock exhaust except the GTA mufflers.

So basically, she's stock? Yeah.

Anyway. Near on to 162000 miles (not yet, but let's just call it that.) It's time for a clutch. Probably been time for a little bit. Gonna do that, and so she's up on blocks, in effect. She'll be getting a stock clutch kit and flywheel. Worked well first time 'round why not? No power mods, no need to go fancy, I believe...

Ok, so all that to say this: After removing the mufflers and mid pipes, we attacked the driveshaft (so the H-pipe would 'catch it, good plan by my pops, as it worked well.)

Thing is, when we loosened the rear driveshaft flange and popped it off the pinion flange... what looks/smells like gear oil came out. A not-insignificant portion of it. That's not to say deluge, but I'd wager maybe if you had a standard red solo cup (or blue, who am I to judge) it would fill maybe 1/8 inch? Maybe? Didn't measure, we were busy trying to not spill it everywhere and get dad messy. :grr:

I have to say this, as it's highly important: Awesome has *NEVER*, and I mean ever, had a leak that wasn't caused by a spill. Gas out the fill overflow 'cause stupid happened (you know the fill problem these modesl have sometimes), or spilled oil or whatever. The garage is *spotless* under her (until today, and even then, I did pretty good in keeping spots down.) Parking spots at work? Never have any leaks or spots. She doesn't leak. Never has.

Until this happened, that is...

So where is this diff fluid comin' from? I mean, surely, it's from the pinion nut, so it's the pinion seal...? Except it's totally NOT leaking from anywhere else. Heck, it didn't even show leaking from the driveshaft flange! Only after we pulled the driveshaft off the pinion flange did we get any indication and that was all over dad's hands and shirt.

He cleans up, so no problem there, but it wasn't a bad shirt... Poor thing...

Anyway. I am obviously concerned here. But I'm also confused. Pop, bein' old school like that, and canny about lots of things suggests Neoprene washers from Ace hardware to go in under the lil' saddles what go under the bolts on the driveshaft flange. They'd get crushed and make a gasket of sorts that way. Then just run it and forget about it. I'm inclined to agree, as Awesome otherwise was fine before we took it apart... so maybe it's just 10 years and 162000 miles of seeping and not to worry...?

But I also noticed what appears to be some sort of blue gasket material... or maybe it was blue loctite but it didn't seem to be the correct color... on the pinion side of the driveshaft flange... so maybe that was intentional from the factory, and that's what kept it from leaking while undisturbed?

Hopin' y'all have an answer that'll talk me outta the trees. I really really don't wanna do the pinion seal... 'cause I ain't gonna do the pinion seal. This clutch thing is because expensive and I *can* do it myself, and I need tires, but dang sure I'll take the pinion elsewhere 'cause forget that noise.

Just for reference, my driveshaft/pinion is like the one shown here, but there is no leaking seen on the axle housing NOR the driveshaft. Just 'tada, I'mma pee fluid now' kind of a thing.

It is not water. It stinks and looks like diff oil. Very strange.

I hope it's not bad news. Or that it's gonna turn into bad news.

Thanks in advance, y'all'n's are the best!

Last edited by houtex; 6/16/18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 6/16/18, 09:58 PM
Royal Crimson GT PP1 Member

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts
Button it back up and drive it. If it is the pinion seal it will SLOWLY get worse, but you got time.
Old 6/17/18, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, that's what pop and I think. Just gonna run it and see. No further drips from the pinion flange/nut, so IDK. Weird.
Old 6/17/18, 12:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 old racer
Button it back up and drive it. If it is the pinion seal it will SLOWLY get worse, but you got time.
That's what I would do too. It may run on for a long time, or it may go out next week. But, as long as it ain't really broke now why go to the trouble.
Old 6/19/18, 11:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So today I talked to a good mechanic (someone I'd trust with the car, and I don't trust many) about this, and it was indicated that 'yep, not unnormal. Just seepage, and after that many years, not necessarily surprising.'

Therefore as described above, the 'fix' is to run it, and put some gasket material on the mating portions (NOT on the screws/bolt holes) of the flanges of the pinion and the driveshaft (probably driveshaft side?) Pretend it's an axle housing cover. Bolt it up and run it, as since it's not leaking on the seal side... probably not an issue.

So yeah, there we go. Thanks for lookin', and figured I'd update ya on that conversation!
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (6/20/18)
Old 6/20/18, 11:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Thanks for the update brother. We all may have the same thing one day, and now this tip will help, and save us some money.