2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Fueling Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/05, 05:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by kcrw898@March 29, 2005, 6:48 PM
Here's a thought, why doesn't Ford just put this replacement tanks in all the Mustangs from this point on if people are having to replace the original ones?
They are. Started in mid-February I think.
Old 3/29/05, 05:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by acadian+March 15, 2005, 5:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ March 15, 2005, 5:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jbuch@March 15, 2005, 4:41 PM
That was more time for people to hang out and drool over my car though.

[/b][/quote]

Yeah... but after a while, I couldn't tell if they were staring at the car, or staring at the moron they thought didn't know how to pump gas (me ).

I usually have no problem filling the tank... the few times I've had an issue, it was very cold outside (no idea if it had anything to do with it).

As others have said, tank is on backorder. Not exactly a high-priority item for me though. I'm waiting until there's a TSB on the strut popping, then will take her in for the 3 issues at once (fuel tank, struts, bell housing bolts).
Old 3/29/05, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RMac+March 29, 2005, 7:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RMac @ March 29, 2005, 7:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-kcrw898@March 29, 2005, 6:48 PM
Here's a thought, why doesn't Ford just put this replacement tanks in all the Mustangs from this point on if people are having to replace the original ones?
[/b][/quote]

Cool, I must have missed that. But I thought I read somewhere that some people were still having the problem even after it was replaced.
Old 3/29/05, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RMac+March 29, 2005, 7:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RMac @ March 29, 2005, 7:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-kcrw898@March 29, 2005, 6:48 PM
[/b][/quote]

If they are, then the new ones have a problem too - mine was built on Mar 5.
Old 3/29/05, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by azlitigator@March 29, 2005, 7:45 PM
Mine goes in for a new tank tomorrow. It was ordered about 3 weeks ago. Just my opinion, but I don't want to have to search around for a station that is '05 Mustang friendly, I want to be able to put gas in wherever I want. Besides, if I'm travelling how will I know what station to use? I can't see where having a replacement gas tank that accepts fuel would be any kind of problem.
It's not really that a replacement tank would be a problem, azlitigator. It's that whenever you have mechanics and others messing with your car, there's a *chance* something could happen. I avoid bringing my car back to any dealership unless it is absolutely necessary, i.e. a warranty problem, and even then I hesitate to let them get their hands on it. Maybe it's just me.
Old 3/29/05, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by wjones14+March 29, 2005, 8:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wjones14 @ March 29, 2005, 8:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by RMac@March 29, 2005, 7:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-kcrw898
@March 29, 2005, 6:48 PM

If they are, then the new ones have a problem too - mine was built on Mar 5.
[/b][/quote]

That's what I thought, darn.
Old 3/29/05, 06:24 PM
GT Member

I called my Ford dealer and Told the service Lady about my increasing list of problems 6 now, and she shaid that I would have to bring it in to diagnose the filling problem.

I said it was a known issue and I would like the gas tank replaced so can you order it so I don't have to bring the car in twice.

In a snotty voice she said "Are you a Ford dealer?" I replied no, I just have a computer, and I can give you the TSB's if you like.

She said that she would call back tomorrow and give me a time that I can bring it in as I seem to have a lot of problems.

To top that off, some ***** stole the rear emblem off my car last night, $63.00 for a new one, and I have to prepay and wait 3 days for it

Not happy, not happy at all...
Old 3/29/05, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by azlitigator@March 29, 2005, 6:45 PM
Mine goes in for a new tank tomorrow. It was ordered about 3 weeks ago. Just my opinion, but I don't want to have to search around for a station that is '05 Mustang friendly, I want to be able to put gas in wherever I want. Besides, if I'm travelling how will I know what station to use? I can't see where having a replacement gas tank that accepts fuel would be any kind of problem.
Old 3/29/05, 06:33 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New tank on order as well, first fill up was just brutal .Its going in for it's first sevice mid may so hopefully the new Tank ,2 bolts for the inspection cover for the standard trans ,1 missing IUP rocker ,missing hood rest gromet.will all be in by that time.
Old 3/29/05, 08:06 PM
GT Member

Hey guys - long time no talk. Been busy - but heres my story with the gas tank thing.

I took it in for that problem, along with my squeaking brakes that they replaced. They put in the new gas tank in accordance with the TSB, and everything went great on my first fill up - no premature stops. I drove up to Los Angeles and back, and was almost home with my car DIED on the freeway.

I had been constantly checking the miles left, because I was driving all freeway miles and was anxious to see what the mileage would be on this trip. I was down to about 50 miles left on my message center when it died. Needless to say I took it back in to them today to have them take a look at it. They called me, confirmed that I did run out of gas prematurely (no duh) by checking the computer, and said that there wasnt really anything wrong with the car or the parts, and hopefully that its just a calibration issue with the two pumps and the computer.

Anyway, if it happens again, what do you all think I should do? Im not sure what the lemon laws are in CA, i havent researched them yet, but really all I want is for everything to be fine on this car and have no more issues. If it happens again is it time to write a nasty letter to ford? or maybe I should go through the dealer?

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 3/30/05, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I have noticed that if my tank is empty (or very close to it) that the fueling problem exists, but...if the tank is about a quarter full and I fill it up, there are no problems.
Old 3/30/05, 06:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@March 15, 2005, 8:58 PM
Mongoose was telling him that he was posting something that has been discussed in the past.
The past is irrelevant to THIS discussion. More time elapsed, more owners, more fill ups, more experience to report---all relevant, now.

Don't be so quick on the "Search" draw. Stale info doesn't help.
Old 3/30/05, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by usdclark@March 29, 2005, 10:09 PM
Hey guys - long time no talk. Been busy - but heres my story with the gas tank thing.

I took it in for that problem, along with my squeaking brakes that they replaced. They put in the new gas tank in accordance with the TSB, and everything went great on my first fill up - no premature stops. I drove up to Los Angeles and back, and was almost home with my car DIED on the freeway.

I had been constantly checking the miles left, because I was driving all freeway miles and was anxious to see what the mileage would be on this trip. I was down to about 50 miles left on my message center when it died. Needless to say I took it back in to them today to have them take a look at it. They called me, confirmed that I did run out of gas prematurely (no duh) by checking the computer, and said that there wasnt really anything wrong with the car or the parts, and hopefully that its just a calibration issue with the two pumps and the computer.

Anyway, if it happens again, what do you all think I should do? Im not sure what the lemon laws are in CA, i havent researched them yet, but really all I want is for everything to be fine on this car and have no more issues. If it happens again is it time to write a nasty letter to ford? or maybe I should go through the dealer?

This goes to show that you can't rely on the message center alone to know how much gas you have left - you still have to use the old-fashioned method - checking the fuel gauge.
Old 3/30/05, 06:54 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My tank is being replaced today.
Old 3/30/05, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by usdclark@March 29, 2005, 9:09 PM

Lemon law for 2 problems...
Chill out. A new car is not a lemon b/c it has a TSB and squeaky brakes. I understand your frustration on running out of gas, but lemon law??? :crazy:
Old 3/30/05, 08:57 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Ya, that is a bit much to even think about the "lemon law".
Old 3/30/05, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

what's TSB?
Old 3/30/05, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kcrw898@March 30, 2005, 10:31 AM
what's TSB?
Technical Service Bulletin
Old 3/30/05, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

What's that like, just short of a recall?
Old 3/30/05, 10:48 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a recall was only if something had the potential of causing a serious problem with the car, such as something could cause a fire to start. TSB's are known issues and a reference point for techs to look at to find out quickly what the fix is. Am I right or wrong guys....

Quick Reply: Fueling Problem?