2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Fuel Fill Up Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/05, 09:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

As I was driving my new GT Convertible the 450 miles down from Bremerhaven to Stuttgart yesterday I encountered a problem during fill-ups. The automatic gas pump nozzles shut down before it was full several times, I guess like the fuel was coming up the filler neck as being full but it wasn't. Has anyone encountered this with their 2005 Mustang? Is there a fix? Cheers
Mike
Old 6/14/05, 09:45 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, MANY of us have had this and it's been discussed at length. Check around w/ the search button and you'll find a lot of info. But the main thing you need to know is that there's a TSB out and a fix for it... see your dealer and it's a warranty issue... new tank.
Old 6/14/05, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey there. There have been lots of us with the same problem. So far the only fix is to take it to your deraler & have them replace the gas tank completely.

Good Luck
Old 6/14/05, 09:46 PM
GT Member

There's been other posts about this. I think the solution is to get the gas tank replaced, but do a search on the site.
Old 6/14/05, 09:47 PM
I lust for a M24

In the mean time, turn the nozzle upside down, and don't push it in all the way while you're filling and it helps a little.
Old 6/15/05, 02:50 PM
GT Member

Okay, it happened to me. 05GT, thank you. When I had trouble at the tank today, remembered what you said about turning the nozzle upside down.

I got the car on empty from the dealership, so I went to fill it up (with a coupon) and there were no problems.

Today, I had a 1/2 tank and I filled up and I had the problem. Both stations were Sunoco, though they were different stations. I'm curious why it was okay once and problematic the second.

How many times should I let this happen before I notify my dealer and get ready for a replacement tank?
Old 6/15/05, 04:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Fellser@June 15, 2005, 12:53 PM

How many times should I let this happen before I notify my dealer and get ready for a replacement tank?
Once is enough for me. Get it replaced
Old 6/15/05, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fellser@June 15, 2005, 10:53 PM
Both stations were Sunoco, though they were different stations. I'm curious why it was okay once and problematic the second.

Some people experiencing this problem have nevertheless had times when it didn't happen. Has anybody ever checked what was different those times? (nozzle size and shape, different vapour recovery systems at the pump, speed of fuel being pumped...). It could prove useful to know these things.

P.S.: 4 weeks till my new tank arrives... problem solved
Old 6/15/05, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are there any reasons NOT to get the replacement tank if the problem is there?

Is it a big job to replace the tank - I mean, is there stuff that the mechanics could screw up while doing the job?
Old 6/15/05, 07:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read of people taking in the car to get the tank replaced and the techs finding out they don't have all the needed parts or experience to do the job. Cars get stuck in the service department for days or weeks while new parts are ordered. Personally, even though I've had the problem a couple times (less often than not) I'm not taking my car in right now for the fix. It's annoying, but not a safety issue and I think it's better to let the techs get some more experience with the car before I take mine in. The warranty is 3 years on this thing - I'm in no hurry to get something like this worked on.
Old 6/15/05, 07:42 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Print this up and take it to your dealer

Fuel Tank TSB
Old 6/15/05, 10:55 PM

Had my tank replaced and still cannot gas up at Mobil. At Shell I can if I hold the pump and go slow(will be nice when it is 20 below zero hey?). But hey Ford is still working on the problem. :scratch:
Old 6/15/05, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Mutta@June 15, 2005, 10:58 PM
Had my tank replaced and still cannot gas up at Mobil. At Shell I can if I hold the pump and go slow(will be nice when it is 20 below zero hey?). But hey Ford is still working on the problem. :scratch:
This sounds like the problem I've experienced. More often than not, it will fill without a hitch. Every now and then, it seems like it gets freaked out or something and won't want to fill. The solution is to pump very slooooowly. I'm reluctant to take mine in for fear something else would get messed up.
Old 6/16/05, 01:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hmmmmm..........that's funny. I had my tank replace & have had no problems with filling up. The only thing is when it shuts off it really shuts off. I can't even pump like .10 cents out of it after it shuts off or it will overflow onto the car & the parking lot. I had to learn that the hard way. But lets just say that once was enough & I learned my lesson.

And I can see where you guys are leary of the "knowledgeable" technicians. I had my gas tank replace on a Friday. That following Sunday the service engine soon light comes on. I take her down on Tuesday (that Mon was a holiday) & they put her on the machine & tear into her only to find there is a hole in a hose leading from the "new" gas tank. So they keep her until the following Monday because on Friday while replacing the gas tank again they lost a bolt that they needed & they didn't find on until late Friday & the technician didn't come in on Saturdays.

So, that Monday I get my car back & driving down a straight stretch 2 lane highway with nothing coming, & in broad open daylight I decided to pick her up to about 70. Well, there is a terrible roaring noise inside the car & a vibration between 60 & 80 mph & when breaking. Guess what that meant. Yep, she went back the next day only to discover she needed a new Driveshaft. So, that comes in on Thursday & Firday she has that replaced.

After ALL of that she is right as rain. With the exception of a blown fuse (to the adaptor inside the console) which was replaced today along with her 1st oil change.

So, I can defiently see your fear of having your baby worked on my a "knowledgeable" & "trained" dealership technician. But I wouldn't wait too long before taking it in & having it looked at.

Good luck.
Old 6/16/05, 04:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm in NJ where you can't pump your own gas, and my 'stang has always had the fill-up problem.

My fix: I always go to the same station where I've trained the pump attendants to insert the nozzle upside down and hold it while filling. No more problem.

I'm reluctant to have the original gas tank replaced if there's a chance one problem may be replaced with several others.
Old 6/16/05, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by barjon@June 16, 2005, 4:25 AM
I'm in NJ where you can't pump your own gas, and my 'stang has always had the fill-up problem.

My fix: I always go to the same station where I've trained the pump attendants to insert the nozzle upside down and hold it while filling. No more problem.

I'm reluctant to have the original gas tank replaced if there's a chance one problem may be replaced with several others.
I'm from Jersey as well, but I will not let them pump my gas, just get out of the car and do it yourself.
Old 6/16/05, 06:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Im in Jersey as well and if they don't pump my gas the minute I get there I pump it myself and I don't care if they yell at me! Anyways, I had the gast ank problem, I got my new gas tank on now and happy to report no problems and is actually bigger than the old one. My tank went from 265 MTE to 325 MTE! I guess it holds another gallon or two now, sweet!
Old 6/16/05, 07:43 AM
I lust for a M24

...um... why can't you pump your own gas in NJ?
Old 6/16/05, 07:43 AM
I lust for a M24

double post, sorry..
Old 6/16/05, 08:40 AM
GT Member

I'm in NJ (near Giant's Stadium). There are 2 states in the country where people are not allowed to pump their own gas. I don't remember the other one. I think it is because they think we're too stupid to do it right.

It stinks because they always get gas on the car and they always try to top it off.

I'd rather do it myself, but they yell at me. Since I do a lot of driving, I fill up all over and can't stay with one or two.

Tomorrow will be one week that I have my car and I'm liking it more and more every day. Even with the gas problem and some hesitation when I start off, the car is pretty nice.

(I tend to hate my cars until I pay them off, so liking this one this much with so much owed for so many years is a major feat.)

Quick Reply: Fuel Fill Up Problem?