2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Handling pack noises

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/06, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP Handling pack noises

Hey there, I usually post on socalstangs.com but I figured the larger community of 05 owners here may be able to help me out. I just installed the FRPP handling pack and have noticed a clunking noise in the rear when one side or the other is unloaded (going over a bump, up a drieveway etc...)

I am just wondering if anyone here has had this problem? I inspected everything, there are no tattle tale impact markings on the sway bar or panhard bar, the only thing I can think of is maybe the springs are moving around. NOt sure though, any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 7/22/06, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have eibach springs,swaybars, and tokico struts and I have that same problem. Had it looked at and can find no problem so I just live with it. Im hoping its just caused by the change to the suspension geometry and when I do some more suspension work it will sort itself out.
Old 7/25/06, 05:01 AM

Hmmm... I am just irritated that I can't find it... usually there are some markings on something where its hitting. I dunno. I am going to try and call ford's techline today at some point and see if they can shed any light.
Old 7/25/06, 06:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

well if you find anything out let me know, maybe the same thing is going on with my setup.
Old 7/25/06, 03:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hear a similar sound with my FRPP Kit :-o
Old 7/25/06, 03:40 PM
GT Member

I noticed a similar sound when I lowered my '05 GT. I cut two coils out of the rear springs. I found that the top of the spring was able to move a little depending on my driving.

If I remember correctly, there is a spring isolator / cushion that is between the top of the spring and the car. I basically created a thicker spring isolator / cushion and have not heard the noise since. This might just be a coincidence, but I have not heard the noise sense.
Old 7/28/06, 10:11 AM

Good looking out, I just got off the phone with Ford and they have no known issues with anything binding. I asked about impacting the panhard bar with the sway car and he said no. I asked if it mattered which way the springs were installed, he said no. They basically have no idea why its doing that. He said there has been one other time that a guy thought something was wrong with the shock and replaced it with the stock piece. But that wasn't the problem. I wonder if I get some thick rubber or cut a slit in a piece of hose and wrap the first couple coils with it if that would help. Maybe I will do that this weekend. Its driving me insane.

Old 8/14/06, 12:17 PM

I spoke with a friend of mine and he said he indexed the coils so the pigtails were pointing towards the driver's side. I am going to try that this weekend. Stay tuned!
Old 8/14/06, 01:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any update?
Old 8/14/06, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

ive had the FRPP kit in for about 3 weeks now. no odd noises. I've got no bleeps, I've got no sweeps and I've got no creeps. hehe
Old 8/16/06, 02:20 PM
GT Member

I had the exact same sound coming out of my completely stock GT. It ended up being something with the park brake assembly. It went away when they changed the brake cables with the new parts (it was getting stuck in winter, and there is a TSB on this also). It would also do it when I braked hard and the rear suspension unloaded.
Old 8/16/06, 03:42 PM
V6 Member

I just picked up my 2007 after having the FRPP Handling pack installed. It is also making the same noise described here. I also had a Fays2 Watts Link installed at the same time. I had no noise before the install. It sounded as though it made the noise after hitting a bump at the top of the suspension swing. Anyone have any more ideas as to a fix?
Old 8/16/06, 06:44 PM

I haven't had a chance to move the springs yet, as ****ty as it is I am glad to some degree that its not just me having these sorts of issues. I did speak with a ford dealership and they want 80+ bucks to even look at it even though they are ford parts! That sort of irritated me. Alot. So I am trying to find a dealership that will look at it for less. I will update as soon as I have something update worthy to say. Hopefully someone else has had these issues and could provide an idea for a course of action.
Old 8/18/06, 09:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm pretty sure it's your swaybar links. Buy some new nuts, use loctite and torque them good. This is what the clunking was on mine and another autocrosser.
Old 8/31/06, 03:52 PM

Alright everyone, I took the advice of the last poster... I replaced the after market hardware with the factory hardware on the body side of the rear swaybar. The factory is a bolt and a nut with a clip that clips tot eh mounting tab. I beleive that this tab is what keeps it from making that noise. I also tightened the **** out of every bolt I could find.

I also indexed the springs with the pigtails facing toward the drivers side of the car.

The noise is gone, thanks to everyone that fired suggestions but I got it! The car is an absolute joy to drive again with no bad noises, the suspension combined with the big brakes makes all the difference in the world... Can't wait to do more.
Old 8/31/06, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

i get a squeaking/squealing sound from my stock 07 GT suspension when i make a sharp turn at slow speed. Such as turning right into a parking lot from a main road. It's louder than the usual squeak. It's almost like a noisy rusty brake rotor, except not a grinding sound. I wonder if its the sway bar bushings?
Old 8/31/06, 06:58 PM
V6 Member

I had posted earlier that I also had the FRPP handling package noise everyone was reporting. After checking, my noise turned out to be an exhaust pipe rattling. After repositioning and tightening, no more noise.
Old 9/1/06, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by neil07gt
i get a squeaking/squealing sound from my stock 07 GT suspension when i make a sharp turn at slow speed. Such as turning right into a parking lot from a main road. It's louder than the usual squeak. It's almost like a noisy rusty brake rotor, except not a grinding sound. I wonder if its the sway bar bushings?

My noise was as if someone was hitting the frame with a hammer. It was loud, distinct and annoying as hell. I wonder if your rear end has some of the same issues as the 05 and 06's did, I thought that they fixed that though.
Old 5/27/07, 07:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DarkGT
Alright everyone, I took the advice of the last poster... I replaced the after market hardware with the factory hardware on the body side of the rear swaybar. The factory is a bolt and a nut with a clip that clips tot eh mounting tab. I beleive that this tab is what keeps it from making that noise. I also tightened the **** out of every bolt I could find.

I also indexed the springs with the pigtails facing toward the drivers side of the car.

The noise is gone, thanks to everyone that fired suggestions but I got it! The car is an absolute joy to drive again with no bad noises, the suspension combined with the big brakes makes all the difference in the world... Can't wait to do more.
Just wanted to add that I installed my FRPP Hanlding Pack this weekend and noticed a "bump" or "thud" noise coming from the rear, particularly at low speeds while turning. I took DarkGT's suggestion of replacing the bolts that connect the rear swaybar end-links to the body, and the noise is gone! Like DarkGT mentioned, the factory bolts with the tab on the nut keep the bolts in place.

I want to add that is it like night and day with this kit installed. Before, I felt like I was bouncing all over the place. Now, it feels like the car really hugs the road. I am very happy with this kit and would definitely recommend it to anyone.
Old 5/27/07, 07:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Def check the sway bar links and bolts, they love to come loose front and rear, use locktie liberally.

Quick Reply: FRPP Handling pack noises