2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Front End Noise 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/06, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 05 GT has a clunk/rattle on the right front that may be sililar to what has been described. While washing the car yesterday, I found that the wheel well cover (some kind of hard fiber material) is very loose and clunks/rattles when it moves. The fasteners that attach it to the body have separated. Others may want to check for the same problem.
Old 4/12/06, 01:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTAS @ April 11, 2006, 6:18 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Drew - YOU DA MAN!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] I pulled my front wheels the other day and sho 'nuff, the top bolt needed tightening. The bottom one was snug though. The top one was the only one that was removed when I put my Eibach Pro springs on last year. The thing must have come loose over the course of a year because my car never had the clunk until about 2 weeks ago. As of yesterday, the car was rock solid over every type of road surface. Thanks again!

Oh and for those of you who are going to check this - you'll need an 8mm socket to hold the bolt, and a 3/4" open end wrench to hold the nut in place. Turn the bolt to the left to tighten it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
There's a vertical link on both sides of the front end.
[/b][/quote]

No problem guys, glad that cleared up your problems as well. I can't say exactly why it only occurs on the right side (I am a mechanical engineer but I am too lazy to do the vibration analysis [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] ), as there are links on both sides of the car...but you can't argue w/ the results!

MTAS--thanks for the info on the wrench/socket stuff...I won't waste time going to the dealer with this if it happens again! Please note that the service manual says these should be torqued to 85 lb-ft (115 N-m).
Old 4/13/06, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm getting the noise also. 700 mile on my car . pulling out of drive way. Got a click or clunk sound !!!
Old 4/13/06, 06:21 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(06GT @ April 12, 2006, 3:20 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
No problem guys, glad that cleared up your problems as well. I can't say exactly why it only occurs on the right side (I am a mechanical engineer but I am too lazy to do the vibration analysis [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] ), as there are links on both sides of the car...but you can't argue w/ the results!

MTAS--thanks for the info on the wrench/socket stuff...I won't waste time going to the dealer with this if it happens again! Please note that the service manual says these should be torqued to 85 lb-ft (115 N-m).
[/b][/quote]

06GT -
I want to let you and everyone know that yesterday I took the diagram you made to my Ford dealer in Somerville, NJ (Fullerton Ford) and asked them to check the right link. Wouldn't you know it, it was loose and so they tightened it and it now performs like the left side .... Quiet over bumps !!

Thanks to YOU, I was able to bring in a document for them to read, and luckily they were very interested and attentive to the possible fix, which became an actual fix. So this annoying clunk from the right front suspension my car has had since new is now GONE !!

Now, I think I'm going to write a letter to Ford and ask them why my vehicle repair solutions need to come off an internet forum ??

AGAIN, MANY THANKS !!

Dbl E GT
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/13/06, 06:27 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Screams @ March 4, 2006, 9:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sorry for the repost from another area but I am new here and just found this section.

Who has gotten right front suspension noise coming from their 05 06 mustang GT?

It shows up only when driving over RUTTY type parts in the road even railroad tracks.
NOT from large holes in the road or pot hole types, just from ripples in the road.
It DOES NOT happen only when turning, it occurs any time. Straight driving or turning.

It sounds like a Loose CV joint that would come from a Front wheel drive car.
Of course the Mustang does not have CV joints but I have driven cars that do and this has the same sound.

Now I say it comes from the front but I am not sure of this, it's just a guess.

I took it to the dealer, only 300 miles on it, and they said it's nothing, it's normal. Everything is tight.
IT IS NOT!!!
No other car I have had or driven has this NORMAL sound unless something is loose or wrong.

So, Anyone else?
Any suggestions on a fix?
Anything? I only have 745 miles on it now and the body is being converted so I'm stuck with the vehicle.
[/b][/quote]

MEMEME!

I thought I was haluscinating...

I'm worried because I've lowered the car, but it was making that noise before I did it. What dealer will believe me now?

Boo

K
Old 4/13/06, 06:34 PM
GT Member

Kristina-

Just tighten up the Vertical Swaybar link .. it worked for me !

Dbl E GT
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 11:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rondosa @ April 13, 2006, 5:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
MEMEME!

I thought I was haluscinating...

I'm worried because I've lowered the car, but it was making that noise before I did it. What dealer will believe me now?

Boo

K
[/b][/quote]

Kristina--my car is lowered as well, and this took care of the clunk. (Although I have the FRPP kit and it was dealer-installed, so no warranty concerns there). Sounds like your dealer may be trying to jerk you around [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 08:30 PM

Thanks guys - too bad I didn't know of this sooner, as I had all my wheel liners off when I installed the HIDs.

Thanks again - and no, the dealers aren't screwing me, not yet at least...

I'll just do this myself, but all my tools are packed away from moving. BOO moving!

thanks again TMS!!
Old 4/15/06, 01:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey, you know what happens when you have your torque wrench going the wrong way? Um, Yeah, you snap off the 8mm head on the Stabilizer bar link. And let me tell you, it didn't take much, but obviously more than the 115 Nm listed. Just emailed Kevin for a replacement. Oops.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 5/26/06, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Noise Gone!!!!

O.K., Kevin took good care of me and got me a new bar link which I replaced. Noise was still there so that wasn't the problem. However, just installed the following: Steeda Ultralite Springs, BMR - Panhard Bar, LCAs, LCA Relo Brackets, UCA, Front A-Arm Brace and Tokico D-Spec Shocks/Struts....
AND NO MORE NOISE!!!

Unfortunately I don't know which part or bolt eliminated the noise, but must've been either one of the parts and/or a bolt that I took off and put back on.
Old 5/27/06, 09:13 AM

Can someone repost the image? It's a big red X now
Old 5/27/06, 09:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa
Can someone repost the image? It's a big red X now
This one?
Attached Thumbnails Front End Noise 06 GT-clunk_fix.gif  
Old 5/30/06, 03:52 PM
V6 Member

I had my dealer tighten the verticle swaybar link and I still had the noise. While waxing the car today on my rack,I was" eye to eye" with the inner fender well liner and lo and behold one of the two plastic rivets wasn't hold anything and the other was very loose!! The inner fender could move a half an inch in any direction easily. I did a temporary fix and took it for a drive and viola, no more noise!
Old 5/30/06, 09:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow...Same noise (maybe) and different fixes. Gotta be Gremlins...
Old 9/15/06, 06:20 AM

I had my 05 GT (all stock) back to the dealer again last week because of the clunk and the erratic steering - something feels loose and it just does not handle well, it seems to wander right and left and there seems to be excessive wheel movement over minor bumps.

They replaced both stabilizer links and that did not fix anything - still clunks and feels loose, not robust at all.

The Ford engineer drove the car and said the clunk is caused by the shock valve and is normal, they all do it - his words not mine. The dealer says his hands are tied. I'm not sure what to do next - this issue has me seriously thinking of selling the car, it's just not fun to drive with the annoying clunk and the steering the way it is.
I'm far from an expert, but it just seems like loose bushings somewhere.

I'm looking for someone with a 05/06 GT in the Indianapolis area to drive my car and confirm to me that the whole clunk/looseness issue is not my imagination. Anyone close to Indy please contact me.
RPorterfie@aol.com
Thanks
Old 9/20/06, 06:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by indymustanggt
I had my 05 GT (all stock) back to the dealer again last week because of the clunk and the erratic steering - something feels loose and it just does not handle well, it seems to wander right and left and there seems to be excessive wheel movement over minor bumps.

They replaced both stabilizer links and that did not fix anything - still clunks and feels loose, not robust at all.

The Ford engineer drove the car and said the clunk is caused by the shock valve and is normal, they all do it - his words not mine. The dealer says his hands are tied. I'm not sure what to do next - this issue has me seriously thinking of selling the car, it's just not fun to drive with the annoying clunk and the steering the way it is.
I'm far from an expert, but it just seems like loose bushings somewhere.

I'm looking for someone with a 05/06 GT in the Indianapolis area to drive my car and confirm to me that the whole clunk/looseness issue is not my imagination. Anyone close to Indy please contact me.
RPorterfie@aol.com
Thanks
Did the handling change from when you bought it? Did it used to feel tight, and now it's loose? I'm not in Indiana, but I'll tell you, this steering is tighter than any other Mustang I've driven. So.. yeah... something is definitly amiss.
Old 9/21/06, 06:44 PM
V6 Member

indymustanggt, what side of town do you live on. I live in Greenwood but work on the east side in Fort Ben. I also have the clunk but my steering feels tight. If you want to meet up somewhere, we can take turns driving each others car as long as you can drive a stick.
Old 9/21/06, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by sjenkins49
indymustanggt, what side of town do you live on. I live in Greenwood but work on the east side in Fort Ben. I also have the clunk but my steering feels tight. If you want to meet up somewhere, we can take turns driving each others car as long as you can drive a stick.
Thanks, sjenkins49. I live near Fort Harrison - on the east side of town, right off 86th street. It's supposed to rain/storm Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe Monday after your work? Or any other time you can fit it in your schedule.
Thanks.
Old 9/21/06, 07:52 PM

indymustanggt, I'm on the West side of Indy and could meet up with you and sjenkins49 if you'd like. I have few noises on my car that I wouldn't mind comparing against another.
Old 9/21/06, 07:57 PM

mbkinter - OK by me. Let's wait to hear from sjenkins49 and then we can set a place and time. I look forward to the comparisons.

Quick Reply: Front End Noise 06 GT