2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Freezing windows and the Window Dance

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/04, 07:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
On T-day it had rained then it got cold enough to freeze. My windows had become frozen. I opened the car door and the window opened as usual (maybe a little slower). But there was a loud crack. I am sure it was the ice breaking. But this leads to the question.

Will this cause a stress to the window motor and break it?
Old 11/29/04, 07:14 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They did a lot of cold-weather testing in the Mustang, so I am sure it can hold-up
Old 11/29/04, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Galaxie@November 29, 2004, 8:17 AM
They did a lot of cold-weather testing in the Mustang, so I am sure it can hold-up
Lets hope so...Here in MD it has been known to freezing rain a time or two...

...just to be safe I'm keeping a scraper in the garage to remove the frost before the door opens...
Old 11/29/04, 08:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can do that "tape the door sensor" switch closed so that the car never thinks the door is open; hence the window won't lower.
Old 11/29/04, 08:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by tekman13@November 29, 2004, 9:05 AM

...just to be safe I'm keeping a scraper in the garage to remove the frost before the door opens...
My only concern is gouging the rubber seal around the window with the scraper.
Old 11/29/04, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Get a semi-stiff scraper. That will also save the glass, I had plenty of razor-like scratches on the windows of my ol' Volvo from where the scraper "bit into" the surface. I hate when it happens.

Somewhat related: I just saw a company that makes electrical heaters for the window washer fluid. Very nice for lousy winter days.
Old 11/29/04, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Living here in northern New England a bigger concern than getting the door open at home in the morning is the concern with leaving work in the evening after a long day of freezing rain when there can occasionally be a quarter inch of rock-hard ice encrusted on the car. How do you open the door to get the scraper then?? With my present vehicles I sometimes have to tug hard at the framed door to yank it open and that certainly is not an option with the new Mustang frameless door. Even leaving a scraper in the trunk won't help because that will be frozen shut as well. I agree this is a potentially motor damaging situation. I suppose I will bring in a scraper to work and leave it in my desk. A can of de-icer may be necessary too.

The best solution I can envision is to move south and believe me that sounds better every winter!
Old 11/29/04, 10:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Is there anyway to defeat the window down/up dance (other than masking the aforementioned sensor) say by using the key instead of the keyfob remote?? It does seem like this could cause potential damage with an iced over window situation...
Old 11/29/04, 10:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by GMAYS@November 29, 2004, 11:54 AM
Is there anyway to defeat the window down/up dance (other than masking the aforementioned sensor) say by using the key instead of the keyfob remote?? It does seem like this could cause potential damage with an iced over window situation...
Its not the key or the FOB that casues the dance. It is the fact of a sensor sensing the door being opened or closed.

I hear you can remove the fuse if you don't want to tape the sensor.
Old 11/29/04, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by JustAnotherDude@November 29, 2004, 10:40 AM

Somewhat related: I just saw a company that makes electrical heaters for the window washer fluid. Very nice for lousy winter days.
So far the Rain-X de-icer has worked wonders. Sometimes I don't even have to scrape. I just use the wipers and the de-icer fluid to get it all off.
Old 11/29/04, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the window freeze on me a week ago. I didnt want to yank the door open without the window going down a bit first, so i just kinda pushed it down with one hand as my other hand was lightly pulling on the door handle, like 1 min later i was in.
Old 11/29/04, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

Its warranty for three years, someone should know figure it out by then.

I sure things will be just fine in the mean time. I sure it was tested in winter weather, at some point anyway.
Old 11/29/04, 08:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by Kluski+November 29, 2004, 12:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kluski @ November 29, 2004, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GMAYS@November 29, 2004, 11:54 AM
Its not the key or the FOB that casues the dance. It is the fact of a sensor sensing the door being opened or closed.

I hear you can remove the fuse if you don't want to tape the sensor. [/b][/quote]
I may be wrong on this, but I think pulling the fuse will prevent you from rolling the window down at all, not just the window drop upon opening the door.
Old 11/30/04, 04:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Drivetime@November 29, 2004, 11:47 AM
Living here in northern New England a bigger concern than getting the door open at home in the morning is the concern with leaving work in the evening after a long day of freezing rain when there can occasionally be a quarter inch of rock-hard ice encrusted on the car. How do you open the door to get the scraper then?? With my present vehicles I sometimes have to tug hard at the framed door to yank it open and that certainly is not an option with the new Mustang frameless door. Even leaving a scraper in the trunk won't help because that will be frozen shut as well. I agree this is a potentially motor damaging situation. I suppose I will bring in a scraper to work and leave it in my desk. A can of de-icer may be necessary too.

The best solution I can envision is to move south and believe me that sounds better every winter!

A scraper isn't exactly the size of a snow shovel. Get one and carry it with you into office, silly.
Old 11/30/04, 06:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hope they did some cold weather testing, being from Michigan. It snowed this Thanksgiving and I had a frost over the windows and they were frozen pretty good. I opened the door right up, but it was slightly slower. I was concerned about this too.
Old 11/30/04, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by chorpeac@November 30, 2004, 7:38 AM
I hope they did some cold weather testing, being from Michigan. It snowed this Thanksgiving and I had a frost over the windows and they were frozen pretty good. I opened the door right up, but it was slightly slower. I was concerned about this too.
According from some reviews, the winter testing was done here in Sweden, which makes sense since most manufacturers have test facilities here. In that case it should do fine in arctic conditions. B)
Old 11/30/04, 07:29 AM

The window seal mechanism of going up and down is present in my 04 MINI Cooper S as well. I have had it since last Dec. and it worked just fine. Did not give it a second thought after the first few times i noticed it going up and down.

I know it is kind of weird seeing it move at first but it seems to be just that and not overtly unsafe to your windows. Cold weather and all....
Old 11/30/04, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Solution: Open the trunk with the key FOB, lower the rear seats, crawl inside the car and into the driver's seat, start the car, turn on the defroster, and wait for the ice to melt on the side windows. Then you can open the doors freely. Wow, that is too much trouble, and won't work if the trunk lid is frozen too.

I know the BWW 3-series coupe also has the same feature on the door glass. I wonder if anybody on one of their forums would have any suggestions in addition to Okiebud's comments.
Old 11/30/04, 08:46 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

They also did some cold weather testing down here in Florida.
Old 11/30/04, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1@November 30, 2004, 10:49 AM
They also did some cold weather testing down here in Florida.
I think were talking a just little less a 31 degree low.

Quick Reply: Freezing windows and the Window Dance