Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford flash PCM

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/07, 07:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford flash PCM

Does anybody know .... When taking a car in for service and they flash the What exactly does the new flash Ford puts in do different? What are they changing? If I ask them not to flash me, what will I be missing? Is it worth the hassle of putting on my stock air box and getting a new tune from my tuner? Service told me they would not do it if I asked them not too, but curious what I dont get if I dont get flashed. ??
Old 3/20/07, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by porkster
Does anybody know .... When taking a car in for service and they flash the What exactly does the new flash Ford puts in do different? What are they changing? If I ask them not to flash me, what will I be missing? Is it worth the hassle of putting on my stock air box and getting a new tune from my tuner? Service told me they would not do it if I asked them not too, but curious what I dont get if I dont get flashed. ??
What they are going to do is do as built data in the computer to dianose the problem. To have my custom tune put in ,I had to get the as built data put back in to the car before it would run right ,then I reinstalled the diablo tune. I took my car to the dealership,while in the parking lot I un-installed the Predator tune ,installed the factory save tune . They then put back in the as built data for me ,then when they were done I re-installed the Predator tune .( I was lucky for them to do this)You situation could be different. lol
Old 3/20/07, 08:32 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
They usually update the PCM with the latest calibration if there is one available. The updated calibrations usually aren't significantly different, but it will change the catch code / calibration code requiring you to get a new tune from your tuner.

For example, your current catchcode is ABC1. Ford has an updated ABC4 database and they flash the PCM with ABC4. Your Diablo tuner won't work with ABC4.
Old 3/20/07, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Why change it if it doesnt do anything? Why would they take the time to flash it? I dont get it...
Old 3/20/07, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Just tell them not to flash your car. Tape the ODBII port with duct tape and write "DO NOT FLASH". Do something.
Old 3/20/07, 11:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Why change it if it doesnt do anything? Why would they take the time to flash it? I dont get it...
New emissions setting, lower/higher spark, etc... Basically it's just Ford fixing various glitches. Some Ford vehicles aren't important enough so there's only 1 catchcode for the entire model year.
Old 3/20/07, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Read this thread since you have an SCT X2.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=53817

Greg
Old 3/21/07, 04:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GregS2005GT
Read this thread since you have an SCT X2.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=53817

Greg
That is what prompted my question. I asked the same question there and didnt get an answer. I just want to know if I tell them NOT to flash me, if I will be hurting myself in the long run. My warranty will be over soon so I dont want to shoot myself in the foot by not getting a flash I need.

Thanks for the replies...
Old 3/21/07, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

That is what prompted my question. I asked the same question there and didnt get an answer. I just want to know if I tell them NOT to flash me, if I will be hurting myself in the long run. My warranty will be over soon so I dont want to shoot myself in the foot by not getting a flash I need.

Thanks for the replies...
Well, I see you have an '05 auto. That likely means the ECM code is BKT3, same as mine. I mention this because I had mine in last week and specifically asked the dealer not to flash my ECM unless there was a compelling reason to do so, i.e. a saftely/performance related issue. I was assured that the only changes that they were aware of to the code were minor, and that they would not flash.
Old 3/21/07, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Alright, thanks folks. That makes me feel a little better asking to not be flashed. Appreciate the input!