2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Flowmaster 30 series

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/07, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowmaster 30 series

I was talking to my brother and he was telling my why should I waste $300+ on crappy rice mufflers like the A/T's, FRPP's and why I don't go to Meineke and tell them I want Flowmasters. They will install the 40 series and cut the pipes and give me new ones for $200.

I am not sure what it would sound like. He was the 30 series installed on his '79 Camaro and its really loud. You can hear him coming from 5 blocks away. He has no cats and headers too btw. I he also has a BF Goodwrench Crate Motor that is around 325 of raw hp's. I am also weary of getting the 30 series because that is a pure muscle car and I am not sure it would sound the same.

I just want a muffler that is loud outside as well as inside and is loud at idle.
Old 3/24/07, 07:31 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure I'm understanding clearly.Your bro says you should or should not waste money on crap FRPP'S??
Old 3/24/07, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
I was talking to my brother and he was telling my why should I waste $300+ on crappy rice mufflers like the A/T's, FRPP's and why I don't go to Meineke and tell them I want Flowmasters. They will install the 40 series and cut the pipes and give me new ones for $200.

I am not sure what it would sound like. He was the 30 series installed on his '79 Camaro and its really loud. You can hear him coming from 5 blocks away. He has no cats and headers too btw. I he also has a BF Goodwrench Crate Motor that is around 325 of raw hp's. I am also weary of getting the 30 series because that is a pure muscle car and I am not sure it would sound the same.

I just want a muffler that is loud outside as well as inside and is loud at idle.
I would tell your brother that he is brain dead, which is obvious since he drives a '79 Camaro. He needs to learn the definition of RICE. A/Ts and FRPPs are not rice. If you want to destroy your Mustang go ahead and have the big M splice in what you want. It's your ride.
Old 3/24/07, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Not sure I'm understanding clearly.Your bro says you should or should not waste money on crap FRPP'S??
I shouldn't waste money on them. He said for $100 bucks less I could get way better sound with Flowmaster 40 series and plain old tail pipes. How true is this?
Old 3/24/07, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
I would tell your brother that he is brain dead, which is obvious since he drives a '79 Camaro. He needs to learn the definition of RICE. A/Ts and FRPPs are not rice. If you want to destroy your Mustang go ahead and have the big M splice in what you want. It's your ride.
What do you mean M splice?
Old 3/24/07, 07:52 PM
GTR Member

I have FRPP"s and they are far from crap.in fact they are one of the best aftermarket axlebacks out there. Your brother may be smoking some sort of illegal substance out of a glass pipe...Get him help ..QUICKLY!!
Old 3/24/07, 07:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

He meant have the "Big M" (meineke) splice in what you want.
Old 3/24/07, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
He meant have the "Big M" (meineke) splice in what you want.
ehh, just realized that now. haha.

I mean i disagreed with him when he was telling me this but he was trying to say he was right. but whatever. heres my situation. i want to keep the h pipe and mids stock. i just want to change the muffler. what would be the best muffler for loud interior and exterior drone?
Old 3/24/07, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Everyone has their own preference man, it's all subjective. You have to pick one you think sounds good. Go to www.ninosport.com and listen to some of the options available. I personally love the Bassani's, nice and loud, very deep, but there is some drone at certain speeds. There is always a tradeoff...
Old 3/24/07, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

depends on how loud you wanna go. i bought my flowmaster axle-backs before i even had the car. i didnt even go out to look for the **** car yet and i already had the mufflers sitting in the garage WAITING for my pony to arrive.

it all depends on how loud you want to go. personally the flowmasters are just perfect. they give that classic sound and the tips really stand out. if you want REALLY loud then go with some SLP loudmouths. again, it all depends on how loud you want to go. few weeks and ill have some cutoffs with my flowmasters so its gonna be loud as hell.
Old 3/24/07, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

You get what you pay for.
Old 3/24/07, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Get long tubes, an o/r x-pipe and some slp loudmouths
Old 3/24/07, 08:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Your brother is wacked . I've own(ed) both the A/Ts and the Stingers... and neither sound rice. My only complaint with the Stingers was the "drone"... but they definitely don't sound "rice". Deep, throaty, and loud. The A/Ts are not as loud, but have a better tone IMO.
Old 3/24/07, 10:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Who knew there was a driveable '79 Camaro still on the roads Thats one of worst years you could possibly have. If you can hear him from 5 blocks away it sounds like the local horror show that everyone in the neighborhood is unfortunately familiar with. You drive a nice new Mustang and you're worried about what he thinks? I don't know why you would want such loud pipes.

Personally I think the newer mustang's exhaust stock sounds nice enough that slowly accelerating in a parking lot through 3300 rpm in first has many bystanders suddenly believing that there can truly be peace and harmony in the world for a moment. A little extra song from the FRPP mufflers are about all it needs. It doesn't need to sound like a demolition derby entrant coming down the street, or a 79 camaro that sounds like the crazy mailman's truck in Funny Farm. Not to be too brutal but his Camaro sounds like something that someone who works at AutoZone would drive.
Old 3/24/07, 11:11 PM
Bullitt Member

A/T's and rice don't belong in the same sentence...
Old 3/25/07, 06:03 AM
GT Member

Aren't the FRPP's actually made by Borla?

I went with Flowmaster 40's and had my local shop fab an axel back application with bigger tips...They did excellent work and I saved a little money but not much.

I get a little drone between 1700 and 2000 RPM's which wouldn't be a problem except my vert came with the 3:31 rear gear so it takes a little longer to get above 2000 RPM's when tooling around and below 70 mph in 5th on the highway.

Otherwise I am very pleased with them.
Old 3/25/07, 06:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes, The M-523005-GT, aka "Stingers" are made by Borla, as well as Steeda's version.
Old 3/25/07, 07:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Who knew there was a driveable '79 Camaro still on the roads Thats one of worst years you could possibly have. If you can hear him from 5 blocks away it sounds like the local horror show that everyone in the neighborhood is unfortunately familiar with. You drive a nice new Mustang and you're worried about what he thinks? I don't know why you would want such loud pipes.

Personally I think the newer mustang's exhaust stock sounds nice enough that slowly accelerating in a parking lot through 3300 rpm in first has many bystanders suddenly believing that there can truly be peace and harmony in the world for a moment. A little extra song from the FRPP mufflers are about all it needs. It doesn't need to sound like a demolition derby entrant coming down the street, or a 79 camaro that sounds like the crazy mailman's truck in Funny Farm. Not to be too brutal but his Camaro sounds like something that someone who works at AutoZone would drive.
Well its not his daily driver but he put a lot of money into it. He bought it for 2 grand way back when and has put about 5 grand into it. Basically everything mechnical he replaced with new stuff. Some people enjoy those muscle cars. He also bought a leftover General Lee from one of the 17 remaining off the WB lot about 10 years ago. He restored it and is also a proud General Lee owner. I always liked that car and thats why I am thinking about the Grabber Orange for my stang.

Anyways, back to the exhaust topic at hand. I guess I will just have to keep listening to those vids of ninosport and finally decide what i want.
Old 3/25/07, 07:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Your brother is running an old styled push rod engine and Flows do sound great on that type of engine.These new modular engines with over head cams are nearly friction free and hardly spewout any emmisions or exhaust sound.I run the FRPP GTA's and the sound is really nice.The Stingers are a quality built muffler also.
So far to date the best sounding S-197 I've heard had long tube headers,no cats and a pair of SLP Loudmouth's( with factory H-pipe).But the guy is young,has no kids or a wife.It was one mean sounding Mustang.
Old 3/25/07, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GrabberOgre
Your brother is running an old styled push rod engine and Flows do sound great on that type of engine.These new modular engines with over head cams are nearly friction free and hardly spewout any emmisions or exhaust sound.I run the FRPP GTA's and the sound is really nice.The Stingers are a quality built muffler also.
So far to date the best sounding S-197 I've heard had long tube headers,no cats and a pair of SLP Loudmouth's( with factory H-pipe).But the guy is young,has no kids or a wife.It was one mean sounding Mustang.
I actually was just going to comment on the SLP Loudmouths. I was watching several clips of them and I think that's what I am going to go with. They sound louder at idle and at WOT than the FRPP's, A/T's, IMCO's and the Magnaflow axlebacks. Remember, I will be keeping the h pipe stock, so from what I seen the best bang for my buck would be the loudmouths.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 30 series