Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time car buyer - needs help

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/08, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time car buyer - needs help

The 3 year lease on my Accord is scheduled to end in July and I'm looking to make my first car purchase! Basically my choices are GM or Ford products due to family discounts. The only car from GM that interests me is the g8, but they're not offering it in a manual, so the Mustang wins by default.

I am elidgable for Z-Plan pricing and noticed there are about $3,000 worth of rebates on the 2008s right now. Can the Z-Plan pricing and cash rebates be combined? If not I might as well wait for the 2009 and get the glass roof.

I would rather build my own 2009 than get something off the lot, but money talks. Does anyone think that Ford will offer the same rebates on the 2009 mustang this summer? Basically I want a Gray/White/Black with red leather or Orange/Black leather mustang gt manual completely loaded without the GT appearance package. My plan is to buy the Saleen Heritage body kit and have it installed somewhere locally.
Old 4/2/08, 03:18 PM
GT Member

The rebates can be combined with the x-plan..
Old 4/2/08, 05:41 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Rebates can also be pulled without notice. If you order, you get whatever rebate or incentive that is in effect when you take delivery. I ordered in January and the rebate offer at the time was supposed to go until March 31st. I took delivery on March 18th and the rebate offer was gone. I lost a free $500.
Old 4/2/08, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
As my sales person told me, there is always another sale. Depends on whether you want to wait for it. I got a grand off my car when I bought it, if I got it now, it'd be 1500 off in my area. Not much you can do. If it's a price you can live with, and you find something you like, get it. Obviously, there are times through the year when there are various holiday and year end sales which will be more lucrative.
Old 4/2/08, 11:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Woodward, if you go with a 2009 Mustang, you won't have nowhere near the same rebates that are on a 2008 if you want to get a 2009 this summer. They want to get rid of the 2008 leftovers and thats why the 2009s usually only have a small rebate like $500 on them when they 1st are released. If you really like the glass roof, I would wait for it, as it is a SLICK idea, and since its factory, much better than aftermarket.

Last edited by 05fordgt; 4/2/08 at 11:12 PM.
Old 4/3/08, 10:38 AM
GT Member

hmmm, I guess I'll have to see if they have any 2008s that fit what im looking for left.

I saw the glass roof at the autoshow and it looked nice, however - the car was locked so you couldn't view it from the inside.

Edit:

Talked to the dealer - scheduled a test drive for Saturday.

Last edited by Woodward Ave; 4/3/08 at 11:12 AM.
Old 4/5/08, 02:05 PM
GT Member

Well I took one for a test drive today at Royal Oak Ford down Woodward. Wow, I love this car! The controls and driver’s seat are perfect for me and the ride wasn't as rough as I expected. Basically the hardest decision I have is what color to get. I made a list of what I was looking for and am going back to the dealer next week.

There is something else that came up today. Apparently my girlfriend’s uncle works at Southgate Ford as a salesman, but they’re not close. I really don’t know which place I will get a better deal, since I’ve only met the man once for a brief period of time. With my local dealer I can negotiate but with basically a relative it would be awkward; any suggestions?

Colors I'm considering are: Orange, Silver, Blue, Gray - without a garage black would be too hard to take care of.

Must Have
Comfort Group
Interior Upgrade Package
Premier Trim
HID Headlamps
Anti-Theft
Woven Charcoal Aluminum Panel

Optional
3.55 Gears
Wheel locks
Ambient Lighting
Fuel Door
Block Heater
Shaker 1000

Do Not Want
Sirius Radio
GT Appearance Package
California Special
Stripes
Satin Aluminum Panel
Old 4/5/08, 08:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Woodward Ave
Well I took one for a test drive today at Royal Oak Ford down Woodward. Wow, I love this car! The controls and driver’s seat are perfect for me and the ride wasn't as rough as I expected. Basically the hardest decision I have is what color to get. I made a list of what I was looking for and am going back to the dealer next week.

There is something else that came up today. Apparently my girlfriend’s uncle works at Southgate Ford as a salesman, but they’re not close. I really don’t know which place I will get a better deal, since I’ve only met the man once for a brief period of time. With my local dealer I can negotiate but with basically a relative it would be awkward; any suggestions?

Colors I'm considering are: Orange, Silver, Blue, Gray - without a garage black would be too hard to take care of.

Must Have
Comfort Group
Interior Upgrade Package
Premier Trim
HID Headlamps
Anti-Theft
Woven Charcoal Aluminum Panel

Optional
3.55 Gears
Wheel locks
Ambient Lighting
Fuel Door
Block Heater
Shaker 1000

Do Not Want
Sirius Radio
GT Appearance Package
California Special
Stripes
Satin Aluminum Panel
Hey bud, dealing with friends/relattives, isn't bad at all. I do it all the time when it comes to selling club members cars. If he can give you a better deal, I would look into it. Now, with that said, if the store he works at is too far in regards to your not able to drive to it to pick up the car and shipping it is easier, then it would be better to just stay local, as shipping a car is expensive. If you want, give me a ZIP code, and I can see what is out there with the options you want, and colors you listed.

As for color, I would take Vista Blue 1st, as I'm partial , then Orange would be 2nd. Its a great color that changes with light, and can be modded many different ways, to go old-school. The 3rd color would be Vapor. Its a great color. Not too dark, not too light. Regular Silver would be my 4th choice. Like I mentioned, pass me a ZIP and I can find the car you want, and where its at.
Old 4/5/08, 08:42 PM

Choosing the color was my hardest decision too!

Just an FYI: My Alloy Grey GT shows dirt almost as bad as black (had 2 x black cars previously), and I park it in my garage every night. Well, actually if black was a "10" for showing dirt/water spots/grime/dust and Silver was a "1", I'd give Alloy Grey a "7".

Don't get me wrong, I love the color, but just wanted to let you know that it doesn't hid dirt as much as I thought a metallic color would. My last car was silver and was awesome for not showing dirt and grime - never looked dirty even after 2 years of not washing it (hey, it was a Civic OK?!).

I can tell you that Grabber Orange with white rally stripes is by far the hottest Mustang color combo I've seen. Very much the head-turner, and people were slowing down to look at it. One girl nearly rear ended the car in front of her trying to look at it as she zoomed past. This has never happened with my Alloy Grey.

No idea how GO is for showing dirt though.

I like the Alloy though, because it is very low key and doesn't draw unwanted attention (last 'stang was bright red and I got pulled over once a week).

Sorry for the long post... I'm about 7 glasses into a really smooth organic Cabernet... mmmmm....
Old 4/6/08, 02:04 PM
GT Member

Thanks Jeff, my zip is 48067.

I will be getting Z-Plan pricing on the car, so I don't know if that makes a difference when it comes to negotiating a price. As of right now it looks like i can get the early lease termination along with 1500 and 1000 cash back. Unfortunately the grad cash program is not eligable with AZ plan. I have not heard of any other programs, so if you know of any please let me know! I'm likely to finance through my credit union as I can get 5.25% for 60 months. I still have to call my bank, citifinancial and ford credit to find out their rates.

Vista Blue is really starting to grow on me - I wish they had grabber blue... Im on the bench with Grabber Orange because its so light - it looks like mac and cheese, if it was hemi orange or competition orange I would definitely pick it up. The mustang I drove the other day was a silver with a brown tint in it, I think it was Vapor, I wasn't a fan.

Juan, Im surprised to hear that Alloy shows dirt! We'll I guess I'll have to find a dealership with one in stock so I can see it in person.

As for interior I was thinking red, chamois or black, although in every picture of chamois that ive seen it looks like a different color.
Old 4/6/08, 04:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Woodward, I suggest you contact Mary Waxer at Varsity Ford ,Ann Arbor. Great dealership and salesperson.
Old 4/6/08, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just my two cents...Tungsten Gray (not too far off from Vapor) is great for hiding dirt.
Old 4/6/08, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Jeff, my zip is 48067.

I will be getting Z-Plan pricing on the car, so I don't know if that makes a difference when it comes to negotiating a price. As of right now it looks like i can get the early lease termination along with 1500 and 1000 cash back. Unfortunately the grad cash program is not eligable with AZ plan. I have not heard of any other programs, so if you know of any please let me know! I'm likely to finance through my credit union as I can get 5.25% for 60 months. I still have to call my bank, citifinancial and ford credit to find out their rates.

Vista Blue is really starting to grow on me - I wish they had grabber blue... Im on the bench with Grabber Orange because its so light - it looks like mac and cheese, if it was hemi orange or competition orange I would definitely pick it up. The mustang I drove the other day was a silver with a brown tint in it, I think it was Vapor, I wasn't a fan.

Juan, Im surprised to hear that Alloy shows dirt! We'll I guess I'll have to find a dealership with one in stock so I can see it in person.

As for interior I was thinking red, chamois or black, although in every picture of chamois that ive seen it looks like a different color.
You are correct, A/Z plan in your zip code is $1500 + $1000

Its a piece of cake, price is set on the invoice, you pay no dealer processing fees, only tax and tags-just pick your color and sign up.

Alternate 60 month option is a $1000 and 3.9%, but rates are pretty low everywhere so it would be hard to beat the standard $2500 and say a 5.9% The extra $1000 is a regional rebate, in the northern Va area we do not have that. With the extended factory powertrain warranty, there's nothing you really need to buy from the dealer other then the car. You can buy Ford ESP warranty plans later for very low discount prices if the car is still under warranty when you order it if you have it that long and haven't modified it too much

And for Alloy, go for it, its one of the best colors ever. Not to bad to keep clean. Buy metallic beige if you want easy to clean...

Last edited by kevinb120; 4/6/08 at 09:16 PM.
Old 4/7/08, 11:06 AM
GT Member

wow that does look good. Found out today that I can get a new car auto loan from PenFed for 4.25% for 60months

Last edited by Woodward Ave; 4/7/08 at 11:17 AM.
Old 4/7/08, 11:30 AM
GT Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...4&d=1203415651

anyone know what color this is? I think it's my favorite.
Old 4/7/08, 06:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...4&d=1203415651

anyone know what color this is? I think it's my favorite.
Hey Wooward, thats Vapor. Sorry I haven't been able to get the list of cars. Been busy at work. Heading home shortly, and I can do it from there. You like this color? Its pretty sweet in person.
Old 4/7/08, 06:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Wooward, thats Vapor. Sorry I haven't been able to get the list of cars. Been busy at work. Heading home shortly, and I can do it from there. You like this color? Its pretty sweet in person.
really - the salesman said the one i drove was vapor and it looked like it had a brown tint in it which turned me off - maybe it was an old mineral gray - I didnt get a chance to check the window sticker. I really like silver with black stripes or blue with white - so many choices....
Old 4/7/08, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's Alloy and black together:

And Alloy in the sun - heavenly!

Old 4/7/08, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

The only vapor stang I've seen looked like it had a bit of bronze coloring in it. And davisinla is correct, tungsten hides dirt great!
Old 4/7/08, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Vapor looks different depending on the time of day and the lighting.

Quick Reply: First time car buyer - needs help