2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Figured out the clicking!! Now need rigging advise!!

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/06, 09:26 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Figured out the clicking!! Now need rigging advise!!

I hope this isn't too boring a topic for everyone - but I'm the guy who posted a thread a week ago looking for help on what my clicking/knocking sound coming from my front end could be on my '05 GT... well I figured it out, its my K&N air filter moving up and down slightly and hitting against my frame or whatever else it is exactly is like an inch below the K&N piece. Does anyone have any advise on what I should do? Get a new air filter from a different company? Certainly not go back to Ford and put the stock one back on,,, right? Any rigging advise that will be safe and get it to stop vibrating?? Thanks
Old 9/26/06, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just put a little piece of foam where mine touched the inner fender. ( I have a JLT.)
Old 9/26/06, 11:18 AM

I used a 1 in. piece of self adhesive Velrco (carpet side).
Just stuck it on the fender well where the filter was touching.
Old 9/26/06, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

I don't know how the K&N set up is for this body style, but for my '88, it was a closed end filter, and there was a little bolt through the end which attatched to an L bracket that mounted on the top of the wheel well.. I can't remember if there was a bolt from the factory there or not.... but perhaps a riggin' like that might work.
Old 9/26/06, 03:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffpelosi
I hope this isn't too boring a topic for everyone - but I'm the guy who posted a thread a week ago looking for help on what my clicking/knocking sound coming from my front end could be on my '05 GT... well I figured it out, its my K&N air filter moving up and down slightly and hitting against my frame or whatever else it is exactly is like an inch below the K&N piece. Does anyone have any advise on what I should do? Get a new air filter from a different company? Certainly not go back to Ford and put the stock one back on,,, right? Any rigging advise that will be safe and get it to stop vibrating?? Thanks
I don't understand. My K&N is held by a bracket that attaches to a valve cover bolt. It doesn't seem to move hardly at all. A whole inch?
Pictures or futher explanation would help.
Old 9/26/06, 05:56 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Does the K&N have a way to use the little rubber bumpers that come on the stock airbox? There are 2 of them on the bottom side of box. They sit in those 2 holes in the inner fender or what you described as the part of the frame it's hitting.

First 2 pics are the bottom of my stock airbox. Third pic is that rubber bumper by itself. Last pic is where one of them goes on my Airaid CAI - on the other side of that little indention.
Attached Thumbnails Figured out the clicking!! Now need rigging advise!!-06-09-25-015.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 9/29/06, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by karman
I don't understand. My K&N is held by a bracket that attaches to a valve cover bolt. It doesn't seem to move hardly at all. A whole inch?
Pictures or futher explanation would help.

Yea, totally. Did you do the install or someone else? It sounds like an install error.