Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Father and Son

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/08, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Father and Son

My new GT arrived a week ago Friday, and I gave the V6 to my son. We waxed both cars today, and took a couple of pictures. Life is good (the Hurst linkage in the new GT is choice too).

Old 5/4/08, 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They look good. The wings are a little over the top in my opinion...
Old 5/4/08, 11:33 PM
GT Member

i cant imagine how much your son appreciates it, make sure he takes care of it, hes lucky
Old 5/5/08, 12:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
He's a lucky kid, wish I had something that cool when I was in school!

I have to agree on the wings, either get a body kit to go with it, or ditch the wings IMHO. Just my preference...
Old 5/5/08, 03:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes sweet cars...wings have to go
Old 5/5/08, 07:25 AM
V6 Member

For some reason, I thought the GT's ride height was a tad lower... Are those Eibachs lowering springs on the '06? What's involved in swapping in the Hurst shifter? Is there any shift throw adjustment necessary? That's one of the mods I'm thinking of doing to a V6 vert I'm looking for.

Gotta go with the crowd here on the wing, it's a bit too Fast-N-Furious for me. Funny it's called the "boy racer wing"...

Last edited by Kingfish; 5/5/08 at 07:29 AM.
Old 5/5/08, 07:29 AM
GT Member

Looks cool, but I am not digging the wings..reminds me of the flying nun....
Old 5/5/08, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kingfish
For some reason, I thought the GT's ride height was a tad lower... Are those Eibachs lowering springs on the '06? What's involved in swapping in the Hurst shifter? Is there any shift throw adjustment necessary? That's one of the mods I'm thinking of doing to a V6 vert I'm looking for.

Gotta go with the crowd here on the wing, it's a bit too Fast-N-Furious for me. Funny it's called the "boy racer wing"...
Yes, both cars use the Eibach Kits. While the anti-sway bars are identical, the springs are different, and hence the cars have the same ride height.
The Hurst shifter is now a dealer-installed option, and coupled with the improvements to the 2008 GT shifter, it is very nice. I haven't checked-out the Hurst linkage for the V6, and probably will not, but now my boy wants a new shift **** for the look of it.
Wings have been generically over-done on the Honda type cars with bi-wings, tri-wings, and whatever, and create more drag than downforce, if any downforce at all. The stock hoop that the Mustangs arrive with from the factory is pretty much pure turbulence as well, as it is far too close to the trunk lid to provide any downforce. The 3D carbon wing does provide a balanced counter-force to balance rear body lift, and is designed well. To me, form follows function, and the Boy Racer wing does what is should do, and that is provide 10 pounds of downforce for every 1 pound of drag. This is why you see Wings on Mustangs, which are raced at high speeds, and not other appendages. Because of the abuse of the correct functional design, if you will, folks have developed a distaste for Wings in general.
Old 5/5/08, 08:15 AM

Granted, however those look like Mustangs set up for showing, cruising and/or commuting, not track dogs.

Just sayin'. Nice pair of 'Stangs otherwise.
Old 5/5/08, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hope your son appreciates your gesture. When I first got my driver's license and asked my dad if I could get a car, he said, "Sure son. Go buy one." As a pennyless teenager, this prompted me to get my first job. One year later, I bought my first car, a used '69 Mach I. That's when I discovered I was a true gearhead which I still am today.
Old 5/5/08, 08:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Cars look great. Sons lucky to get that ride. Its a nice show theme if you do shows!

Originally Posted by Gearhead
Yes, both cars use the Eibach Kits. While the anti-sway bars are identical, the springs are different, and hence the cars have the same ride height.
The Hurst shifter is now a dealer-installed option, and coupled with the improvements to the 2008 GT shifter, it is very nice. I haven't checked-out the Hurst linkage for the V6, and probably will not, but now my boy wants a new shift **** for the look of it.
Wings have been generically over-done on the Honda type cars with bi-wings, tri-wings, and whatever, and create more drag than downforce, if any downforce at all. The stock hoop that the Mustangs arrive with from the factory is pretty much pure turbulence as well, as it is far too close to the trunk lid to provide any downforce. The 3D carbon wing does provide a balanced counter-force to balance rear body lift, and is designed well. To me, form follows function, and the Boy Racer wing does what is should do, and that is provide 10 pounds of downforce for every 1 pound of drag. This is why you see Wings on Mustangs, which are raced at high speeds, and not other appendages. Because of the abuse of the correct functional design, if you will, folks have developed a distaste for Wings in general.
But how often will a street mustang see speeds where a wing of that magnitude will be used? IMO, wing looks outta place on the sleek body of the mustang.
Old 5/5/08, 09:03 AM

I like the wing. It looks "racing inspired."
Old 5/5/08, 10:43 AM
GT Member

Like many others have said cars look great, but me personally, not so sure on the wing. One thing to note however, is we don't own the car, you do. The one thing about Mustangs is that every person can do it up like they see fit. There is a Mustang for just about anyone. I say.... ENJOY IT!
Old 5/5/08, 12:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i like them.... but they look the same???
Old 5/5/08, 12:50 PM
GTR Member

NICE It looks like they are ready for take off w/ the wings
Old 5/5/08, 01:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Very nice! ....but the wings have to go. It worked for the Cobra R but not this body style.
Old 5/5/08, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

that is sooo awesome that you and your son both have S197's. that hurst shifter although looks like its throw is too far in what i am assuming is 1st gear. mine is almost straight up when in first. could just be my imagination.

and im not too found of the wings ( i actually want to take mine off for the delete look) but to each his own. if you like it then ta hell with everyone else! again, awesome rides
Old 5/5/08, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Gearhead

That's fine and all, but I highly doubt that V6 will ever go over 100 unless you race it on a track....I think a wing of that size would be more appropriate for something on the salt flats.
Old 5/5/08, 02:15 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 07alloygt
That's fine and all, but I highly doubt that V6 will ever go over 100 unless you race it on a track....I think a wing of that size would be more appropriate for something on the salt flats.

Ok, we get your point

Gearhead,
Nice cars you have there. I don't have any kids yet but when I do, I hope to be in a financial position to be able to do the same sort of thing for my son/daughter.
Old 5/5/08, 02:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Willie
...asked my dad if I could get a car, he said, "Sure son. Go buy one." ...
Yeah, yeah. I begged my mother for a mini-bike when I was a kid. Long arguments that left mental scars on us both. Now I am 50. I bought a motorcycle the other day, called my mom and told her. Reminded her about the min-bike and told her I was going to Freddie Spencer's motorcycle racing school in Las Vegas. Neener, neener! I says to her.

She no longer talks to me on the phone, only talks to my wife

Quick Reply: Father and Son