2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Fanblades vs Ford GT wheels performance ?

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/07, 10:26 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
From one source . .

http://www.centerlinewheels.com/faq.php

Q:Why is the weight of wheels important? A:Wheels are rotating mass/unsprung weight. Every 1 lb reduction in rotating mass is equivalent to an approximately 8 lb reduction in static weight. With lighter weight wheels, you will benefit from increased fuel savings, quicker braking, improved tire wear and better acceleration. Always ask about the weight of wheels. Your vehicle is not engineered for heavy wheels. Therefore, it will not perform well if you effectively put four anchors on it!
Another . .

http://www.grmotorsports.com/backiss...ght-wheels.php
Old 4/6/07, 10:36 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have always been a supporter of lightweight wheels. I wish more companies provided wheels around 20 or less lbs for the stang. If so hard to find light weight ones that look nice.
Old 4/6/07, 10:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
those centerline wheels are nice, but I called to price them for the Stang...$470 a wheel...yikes!!
Old 4/6/07, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Imatk
Sorry but that statement is entirely innaccurate.

Rotational weight on a car (your wheels and anything else that rotates... driveshaft etc) has a HUGE impact on many things... handling, braking, accelleration... and for those that are concerned with it -- gas mileage.

Unsprung weight on a car also has performance impact because the less weight a car has to haul around... accellerate, brake, turn, the easier it is for that car to perform those functions.

If this were a mod that reduced unsprung weight (removing the back seat, the subwoofer) I would tend to agree that the difference would be negligible unless you were removing a significant amount of weight but for wheels and tires... and any other rotational mass on the vehicle there is a distinct difference in performance.

My car corners better, accellerates better and handles better at speed on the freeway. Not to mention I get a couple more miles per gallon
I find it hard to believe that any wheel swap would give you "a couple more miles per gallon". You could go from the heaviest 20" to the Ford GT wheels and it wouldn't be "a couple".
Old 4/6/07, 12:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well all I can say is I have noticed an improvement in braking, handling, and my gas mileage has gone up.

So for me there was and is a definate difference.

And I'm pretty sure Ferrari, Porsche, and even Ford (on the Ford GT) think it makes a difference on their "street" cars too otherwise why bother?

It's like another thread I was reading and commented on where a guy paid 2k for a set of Baer two-piston brakes as an "upgrade."

I wrote that if he hadn't put them on yet he may be better served spending the money on a brake kit that will actually have a performance benefit.. like a four-piston kit with larger rotors.

Some people wrote back with comments like, "Well yeah but is he REALLY going to notice a difference unless he races the car? I mean it IS just a street car."

I personally don't understand this. Weather it's on the track or on the street the car performs the same. There is no magical barrier that the car crosses where it somehow changes characteristics just because it's now on the track and is no longer a "street" car.

Will a track/race car be driven harder? Well of course... but a "street" car will benefit from those perfomance upgrades just like a track car would.

And for me spending 2k on brakes that just "look" good is ridiculous. I want the performance benefit if I'm going to do an "upgrade" but that's me.

My opinion... if you're interested in performance go for the lighter wheels... if you're not then don't worry about it and just get what you think looks good. But don't fool yourself into thinking that those high-priced wheels don't give any significant performance increase just because you don't want to pony up the dough for a set.
Old 4/6/07, 01:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Imatk

I share your line of reasoning. If it performs well on the track, why wouldn't it on the street?

However, that said, I'm sure cost is a limitation for many as the lighter wheels can get very pricey, as has been shown.

Those 26lb Bullitts look very nice and can be had at great prices, but I can't believe they don't carry some kind of performance penalty compared to something 20lbs or lighter.

Therefore, I'm looking for a good compromise between looks, cost, and performance. I won't dish out $500+ a wheel, but ~$300 a wheel is feasible. Those 5zigens look like they might fit the bill. If anyone else has suggestions, fire away!

With my power needs satisfied (for the time being) with my Whipple blower, I am now turning to lightening and suspension to best utilize that power.
Old 4/7/07, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Imatk
Well all I can say is I have noticed an improvement in braking, handling, and my gas mileage has gone up.

So for me there was and is a definate difference.

And I'm pretty sure Ferrari, Porsche, and even Ford (on the Ford GT) think it makes a difference on their "street" cars too otherwise why bother?

It's like another thread I was reading and commented on where a guy paid 2k for a set of Baer two-piston brakes as an "upgrade."

I wrote that if he hadn't put them on yet he may be better served spending the money on a brake kit that will actually have a performance benefit.. like a four-piston kit with larger rotors.

Some people wrote back with comments like, "Well yeah but is he REALLY going to notice a difference unless he races the car? I mean it IS just a street car."

I personally don't understand this. Weather it's on the track or on the street the car performs the same. There is no magical barrier that the car crosses where it somehow changes characteristics just because it's now on the track and is no longer a "street" car.

Will a track/race car be driven harder? Well of course... but a "street" car will benefit from those perfomance upgrades just like a track car would.

And for me spending 2k on brakes that just "look" good is ridiculous. I want the performance benefit if I'm going to do an "upgrade" but that's me.

My opinion... if you're interested in performance go for the lighter wheels... if you're not then don't worry about it and just get what you think looks good. But don't fool yourself into thinking that those high-priced wheels don't give any significant performance increase just because you don't want to pony up the dough for a set.
+1 Well put!
Old 4/7/07, 07:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I recognize that a reduction in unsprung weight will help in controlled racing / laboratory conditions - only then would that 30 lb weight reduction would be beneficial.

However, I doubt very much that a 30 lb weight reduction will have ANY discernible benefit to ride, handling, acceleration, etc on a street car to justify the expenditure.

The original poster asked if he would FEEL a difference in performance. I still stand by my original answer of NO! I say buy the wheels for the "bling" factor but NOT to improve performance.
But what about all of the folks who swear they can FEEL the difference their new stripes make! I think you need to drive two cars back to back and see for yourself. It actually DOES have a very discernable difference in braking and turn in. Granted, not when cruising from stoplight to stoplight, or in a parking lot. But try a quick evasive manuever and see what you think.