2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

f-body's

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/05, 11:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I raced a cam only 98+ f-body and it put about 7-8 cars on me and i was pretty disappointed. Anybody else race one yet?

Nick
Old 4/7/05, 12:02 AM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

I have been told by a couple of motorheads that the bigger rim size can slow you down since the car was designed with 17 in mind. Dont know if this is bull or not but its one of the reasons I am sticking to 17" and only going wider.

Anyway I Havent done any racing.. although I am not suprised by this result. There are alot of fast , modded f-body cars.

See
http://www.ssmoparmuscle.com/speedcomp.htm

clicking on the column headings allows you to sort fastest to slowest..
Old 4/7/05, 12:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by nicksolheim@April 6, 2005, 11:58 PM
I raced a cam only 98+ f-body and it put about 7-8 cars on me and i was pretty disappointed. Anybody else race one yet?

Nick

I didn't post that!!!!!!!!!! :notnice:

I leave my computer for a moment, and a co-worker (who owns a f-body) gets on there and does this.

I raced the guy, yeah he is slightly faster, he is not stock I can say that much. I am stock.

NO way he was 7-8 car lengths on me, more like 1 maybe 2.

NIck (the real NIck)

It's all good though, those f-bodies are one ugly car
Old 4/7/05, 12:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AJC@April 7, 2005, 12:05 AM
I have been told by a couple of motorheads that the bigger rim size can slow you down since the car was designed with 17 in mind. Dont know if this is bull or not but its one of the reasons I am sticking to 17" and only going wider.

Anyway I Havent done any racing.. although I am not suprised by this result. There are alot of fast , modded f-body cars.

See
http://www.ssmoparmuscle.com/speedcomp.htm

clicking on the column headings allows you to sort fastest to slowest..
you are 100% correct the larger (heavier) rims add unsprung weight which effects the car alot.
I raced my buddies 02 ss conv. and he ran 13.52 while i ran 13.58, both 100% stock
Old 4/7/05, 12:31 AM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by nicksolheim+April 6, 2005, 11:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicksolheim @ April 6, 2005, 11:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-nicksolheim@April 6, 2005, 11:58 PM

Nick

I didn't post that!!!!!!!!!! :notnice:

I leave my computer for a moment, and a co-worker (who owns a f-body) gets on there and does this.

I raced the guy, yeah he is slightly faster, he is not stock I can say that much. I am stock.

NO way he was 7-8 car lengths on me, more like 1 maybe 2.

NIck (the real NIck)

It's all good though, those f-bodies are one ugly car
[/b][/quote]

:shock:
Old 4/7/05, 01:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I just got off of work about 15 min ago. Nathan, the f-body guy, got me in the racing mood after he posted under my login. :angry: So we ran em.

Two runs, both pulls I had him through 2nd gear by about a car length, after that he pulled away. But like I said, I am stock with 20's (JLT in garage waiting DTP diablo tune from Jay @ JLT, slp loudmouth on order). He was far from stock, Cam's as stated in the opening post, no cat's, no mufflers, who knows what else. His day will come.

But at the end of the night, my ride just flat out looks better than his.

Nick (the real one)
Old 4/7/05, 06:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

ROTFLMAO score one for yoour freind! Sorry to laugh so hard but you gotta admit he got you good
Old 4/7/05, 06:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

i raced a 96 firebird formula, smoked him.
Old 4/7/05, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

Frankly, I'm suprised the GTs are doing as well as they are against F-body's. If you're that close to a modded one, then congratulations!

I hope he leaves his computer up and steps away for a while. I can only imagine the message you'll leave for him on ls1.com
Old 4/7/05, 03:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

killed my buddies 2001 Trans Am Ram Air, I thought he has me for sure, and he has that upgrade performance package that Pontiac offered in the Trans Ams, sounds very nice with the exhaust set up and is loud, but I couldn't believe I killed it, it was a 6 speed, and my buddy does know how to drive cars, especially manuals....
Old 4/7/05, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't get caught up with street racing too much, but a couple of weeks ago I met up with an 04 Z06 at a spotlight... Not an F-Body but I didn't feel like starting a new thread.
Anyway... we were nearly even thru 3rd... but even thru 4th he was only maybe a car length ahead of me.
Old 4/7/05, 07:05 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@April 7, 2005, 3:55 PM
killed my buddies 2001 Trans Am Ram Air, I thought he has me for sure, and he has that upgrade performance package that Pontiac offered in the Trans Ams, sounds very nice with the exhaust set up and is loud, but I couldn't believe I killed it, it was a 6 speed, and my buddy does know how to drive cars, especially manuals....
Nice kill Mav - I am usually a laid back driver and am not into 'getting into it' especially on regular surface streets....

About a week ago though, I did rack up my first TWO - both within 30 minutes.

Out on the interstate (Sawgrass) that runs way out west - way up ahead I see a late 80s/early 90s notchback passing the only other car out there with us (past midnight) - maybe he sees my light profile (recognize an 05?) and he gets on it - he is way ahead of me to begin with (started to run and he was at least 80 yards ahead of me) - I give easy chase for a bit, realise I am going 120 and say "No way". Back out of it. He drops out too. Okay.

I pull up along side - we're at 80. Some kind of mods cause his exhaust is loud - car looks slick - I wait... wait.... He gets in it. I drop a gear and punch it - we're even for maybe 5 solid seconds and then I start walking him. He backs out in a bit and takes next offramp.....

Home in Boynton, get off interstate on my street. Pull up at the second red light - Camaro pulls up next to me (mid 90s model??..) Light turns green, I roll out normally. He's next to me... normal speed - then I hear him get on it - I drop it back one and punch it - walk him like he is standing still - I back out a bit thinking he's given up - he's coming up right next to me 'oh okay he's still in' . Punch it again and walk him hard again. Back down so I can turn into my apt development - he roars past.... sorry bro - too little too late....

It was beautiful.
Old 4/7/05, 07:07 PM

This does not involve a 05 Mustang but well worth telling...

A few weeks ago I was at my local Ford dealer just checking out the F-150 Trucks. All of a sudden you hear the sound of rumble far away. At first I thought someone was just rebbing the heck out some new car in the lot, even the sales guy paused for a moment to see where the sound was coming from. It was getting louder and louder. Had no idea where it was coming from. Finally the sales guys says,"over there, two cars racing ! coming up the street." I look over, what do I see....a Mustang, racing what appears to be the GTO and the Mustang is kicking it's butt. Both cars were screemmiinngg down this streach of road next to the dealer about alittle less than a quater mile in length. It was the most beautiful sound you could ever hear. The salesman looks over to another sales guy thats standing close by checking out the two cars coming down the street and says to him. "hey, is that Tom" the other guy motions to him and says "yes". A few moments later I asked the sales guy if he knew the two people that were driving. He said "Just the guy driving the 04 Cobra, he works here." I asked him if that was a dealer car or if it was his car. (you know how we've heard all those stories about staff driving the heck of the cars) He said "No, it's his car, he just bought it a few months ago, he's always showing off."

That was the most awsome thing to see ! These two cars were moving ! The Mustang had him by a long shot.
Old 4/7/05, 07:13 PM
GT Member

i did from about 40 mph and walk from it . with the top down at about 120 we slowed down and he just flashed is light at me. I waved back
Old 4/7/05, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not a race didn't even get that far, but the other night I was out with my 05. I stopped at the car wash, both kids in the back seat. I'm in the booth putting money in and a Mitsubishi Eclipse pulls in the car wash and revs up his fart can motor (had some big ugly muffler hanging off the hiney end). He did it about 6 times right in front of my car. I wouldn't even look at him. Then he pulls into a booth next to my car and revs it up 2 more times.
I finish washing the car off and pull out slowly, move over to the vacuum, start drying the car off. Once I finished drying it off I notice he is done washing his car. So I figured I'd play with him just a little bit. I mess around waiting for him to pull out....wait wait wait some more. So I figure heck I'm not wasting my time here. Jump in the car fire her up and rev the motor up twice nothing special maybe hit 3000 RPM. I turn the radio on, put my change away, put the seat belt on. Adjust the mirror. He's not moving.
Put the car into gear and start moving as soon as I do this he pulls out of the booth. Follows me to the exit of the car wash. I'm thinking ok finally....I want until there is no traffic and slowly pull out. Mr. rev my motor stops and waits, and wait s then pulls out behind me. by this time I'm 10 car lengths in front of him.

Guess he didnt want any part of my stang. Oh well maybe next time I'll just walk over and ask him

What made this even better is I hear my kids talking about his car, My 10year old daughter says I wouldn't want that car it's not a Ford mustang, To which my 6 year old son says yeah thats a piece of junk.
Ahh they make a father proud!