Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/07, 05:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams

Am I the only one having this problem or is it everyone. I love to run headlights and fogs at night. My GT looks best when I do. But everyone I pass on thinks I have my highbeams on. I get people flashing their brights at me constantly. I usually just turn on my brights back at them. I can understand that to the common driver it looks like my high beams are on. First, am I really blinding them or are they just overreacting? I've faced my car on coming from the stand point of my wife's Audi and it never seemed to bother me. Second, if I am blinding people, is it just my car and the beams need to be readjusted or does everyone have this issue?
Old 6/8/07, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffgall
Am I the only one having this problem or is it everyone. I love to run headlights and fogs at night. My GT looks best when I do. But everyone I pass on thinks I have my highbeams on. I get people flashing their brights at me constantly. I usually just turn on my brights back at them. I can understand that to the common driver it looks like my high beams are on. First, am I really blinding them or are they just overreacting? I've faced my car on coming from the stand point of my wife's Audi and it never seemed to bother me. Second, if I am blinding people, is it just my car and the beams need to be readjusted or does everyone have this issue?
Fog um
Old 6/8/07, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffgall
No... you are not the only one. I live in rural southwest Ohio and go to work at 5:30 AM and I am constantly having people flash their brights at me. I am sure the same people flash me every morning. I'm sure they are peed at me. Scott
Old 6/8/07, 05:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've been flashed. Oh well, I'm not going to worry about it.
Old 6/8/07, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

u can adjust them after you take the radiator cover off. U will see a top screw that moves them up or down. I did mine.. same issue 07 Hoss
Old 6/8/07, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I get it sometimes, too. I don't think people are being blinded, I think they just see four lights and assume you're using high beams. To the best of my knowledge, the inner two are pointed down a little more than the headlights, so I doubt it's a safety issue.
Old 6/8/07, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here. I got a strip of some really cheap vinyl tinting (actually intended to go across the top of the windeshield, and reusable) and cut that out for the fogs. I don't notice a difference while driving, but no one flashes me anymore because they see the inner lights are a bit dimmer.
Old 6/8/07, 07:02 PM
GT Member

I get it once and awhile but Robbie right, FUG EM!
Old 6/8/07, 07:44 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I had 5 people flash their high beams at me one day while driving to work earlier than usual (darker outside), including a fully marked police car. The LEO used his spotlight and flashed it right at my eyes... I was trying to shift into 5th gear, watching my RPMs, my vehicle speed, etc... and he flashes his high beams and his spotlight creating even more of a safety hazard.

I have the stock foglamps and never touched the adjustments. It's 110% bone stock and Ford wouldn't release a set of foglamps that weren't FMVSS 108 compliant. If they did, then it shouldn't be my problem at all. NHTSA can take it up with Ford.

If turning on your foglamps with the low beams was legal only under certain instances, then there should be a warning sticker somewhere in the vehicle (using liberal logic). It's not like the GT foglamps kill 5 kittens per second unless there is actual fog on the road.

If you ask me, the SUVs and pickup trucks with their LOW BEAMS create more of a safety hazard due to the height of the headlamps. They will blind small cars, especially the **** SUVs with HIDs.
Old 6/8/07, 07:54 PM
GT Member

I've been flashed many of time. i just flash back. I love the extra light the fogs give when they're on. espically because living in a rural area helps catch a glimpse of those deer wanting to cross the road in from of me.
Old 6/8/07, 08:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex

If you ask me, the SUVs and pickup trucks with their LOW BEAMS create more of a safety hazard due to the height of the headlamps. They will blind small cars, especially the **** SUVs with HIDs.
Yes. Those trucks and SUVs which are lifted cause more of a saftey hazard them my LOWERED GT with foglights on. I dont understand how those are DOT approved.
Old 6/8/07, 09:08 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The lights are tested on a fixture separate from the vehicle. So in essence during FMVSS compliance testing, the lamp + reflector is being tested, not the vehicle.
Old 6/8/07, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

Happens to me all the time. When people flash their brights at me to turn my fogs off b/c they think they are my high beams, i want to flash them back.....BUT when you turn the highbeams on, the fogs go off. Makes me kinda mad because it looks like i am obeying to their "turn your highs off" request. haha kind of confusing
Old 6/8/07, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Robbieg
Fog um
Thank you. I know what you really mean and my words exactly..
Old 6/8/07, 10:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
That's why I converted mine to driving lights.
They only turn on with the high beams now and I can see as far as I need to and then some.
No one ever flashes me unless I actually have the highs on.
Old 6/8/07, 10:40 PM

I actually had a small town cop pull me over for this. He follows me to where im going and then gets out and says son did you have your high beams on. Then he tells me i can get out and he comes looks at the front of my car and asks if i had these installed , I was like no they come with the GTs.

Then he goes Oh i was going to give you a ticket for having your high beams on guess not now.
Old 6/8/07, 11:12 PM
GT Member

Cool

Fog lights are to be used just like highbeams the laws in all 50 states require you to turn them off when in oncoming traffic, unless in foggy conditions.
Old 6/8/07, 11:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I rarely use them. I like when people in front of me cant figure out why the hell they can't get away The four big lights is a dead giveaway.
Old 6/9/07, 07:07 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 98YELLOWGT
Fog lights are to be used just like highbeams the laws in all 50 states require you to turn them off when in oncoming traffic, unless in foggy conditions.
hmm, I will need to read up on that one...I'd be curious then how ford was allowed to have them work only with low beams on...

people flashing for fogs is kinda silly. sit in another car facing them, no glare whatsoever from the fogs. try driving at night fogs only- they dont shine more than 100 feet in front of the car if that- its a very low/VERY wide angle that really illuminates the side of road more than anything. I know my fogs have saved many lives so far(skunk/raccoon/opossum/deer) that might not have been seen without them...not to mention that my bumper hasnt been damaged either I run mine all the time in rural areas, the low angle really makes the critters eyes glare/stand out.

one thing that really ****es me off is when an HID equipped vehicle flashes their already blinding lights at me when I know the fogs are not glaring to them at all. in my opinion those HID's gotta be borderline illegal...remember the first car in the US to come equipped with non-sealed beam headlights? the 84 mark VII...took ford a lot of jumping thru hoops to get them DOT or whatever approved, and Ive still got a Mark VII- the lights are nothing compared to the new ones, but if you ever see a Mark at night, the lights have no glare compared to the new faceted reflectors used in everything out there...HID's are advertised as a safety thing, but all things considered, I bet they cause more accidents than they prevent.
Old 6/9/07, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
I don't think people are being blinded, I think they just see four lights and assume you're using high beams. To the best of my knowledge, the inner two are pointed down a little more than the headlights, so I doubt it's a safety issue.
Exactly!

Someone on the board put an inexpensive yellow tint over them that I was going to order, but I can't find the link to the product.

Quick Reply: Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams