2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Everyone look real closely at paint job

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/04, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was showing my car to a friend and he noticed that my spoiler is tweaked. It has about a 1/4 inch clearance on the left and about 3/4- 1 inch clearance on the right.

I took it immeditly to the dealership. The service manager took a ton of pictures of every aspect and then my vin plate and mileage and then set it off the to factory for advisement. I stopped my this morning for unrelated issues. He said they got word back from Ford. "Fix it" A-H-H-H, How? So, he had me take it to the local body shop. The guy took about 3 minutes and said, "It's fiberglass, get a new one. You can't fix it."

But no to my point. Now that the car is clean and waxed all the "little" imperfections are odvious. The body shop tech showed me the dent under the paint in front of the driver door. A large circular scratch behind the door on the passenger door and a long straight scratch above that. All under the paint. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow and the service manager and the body shop guy are going to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Let's see what happens.
Old 11/22/04, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow good luck with that, so the metal itself was scratched? I don't understand how they could see "under the paint"
Old 11/22/04, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

My 04 had the same thing, the dealer took care of it no problem...funny thing is, this was one of the 28 mile "quality inspected" mustangs.
Old 11/22/04, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

if there is a scratch in the metal, the area will have a low spot, where the paint has filled it in. Also, there could be a scratch in the paint, and then clear over top of it, leaving the scratch noticeable.
Old 11/22/04, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by NewPony05@November 22, 2004, 2:10 PM
wow good luck with that, so the metal itself was scratched? I don't understand how they could see "under the paint"
I'll try and get pictures tomorrow. It's funny now that he pointed them out to me they're real odvious.
Old 11/22/04, 03:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The factory fixes damage on the spot on cars quite often.
Old 11/22/04, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

We've all got to remember....These are production cars. When I do a restoration on a car the customer goes over it with a magnifying glass, but when ya buy a new car you just "expect" it to be perfect...but their not !!! I can take ANY car and find flaws in the paint/body. But Ive been painting cars for 24 years so I know what to look for. The regular Joe doesn't. So don't think that its just your car that has flaws...they ALL do.
Old 11/22/04, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by flight96@November 22, 2004, 2:35 PM
We've all got to remember....These are production cars. When I do a restoration on a car the customer goes over it with a magnifying glass, but when ya buy a new car you just "expect" it to be perfect...but their not !!! I can take ANY car and find flaws in the paint/body. But Ive been painting cars for 24 years so I know what to look for. The regular Joe doesn't. So don't think that its just your car that has flaws...they ALL do.
But how accountable does ford have to be. Bumper to bumper includes imperfections in the body and paint, doesn't it?

I understand custom paint--"perfection". You're paying (or being paid) to put something on someone's property. You're going to want it to be perfect. Cause you don't get paid for doing it over.
Old 11/22/04, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

No doubt Ford, or whomever you buy from, should be held to a very high standard. Thats why I say, look at your car before you take delivery. Remeber that these cars are rolling off a factory line, out the door to a car hauler/rail car, dragged across a country or 2, driven off the car hauler and then put on a car lot for anybody to crwal over after the dealership has closed!! Not to mention that YES, flaws do happen at the factory. Take your time and look at the car. Your paying a good $$$ for this. You wouldnt buy a house without an inspection right? Well your spending 30,000 + for something when you buy a car...take your time and inspect it. We all get caught up in the excitement of getting a new car...just be diligent BEFORE you sign the papers. I will say that Ford has been VERY good in the past with all issues I have had with them. This is in no way ment as a slander toward anyone, just a heads up to the buyers. Do your homework and INSPECT!!!......whew thats alot of babbling... ...
Old 11/22/04, 08:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by derynf+November 22, 2004, 8:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (derynf @ November 22, 2004, 8:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-flight96@November 22, 2004, 2:35 PM
But how accountable does ford have to be. Bumper to bumper includes imperfections in the body and paint, doesn't it?

I understand custom paint--"perfection". You're paying (or being paid) to put something on someone's property. You're going to want it to be perfect. Cause you don't get paid for doing it over. [/b][/quote]
The bumper to bumper warranty really doesnt cover paint. You should have addressed this with the dealer upon delivery because you are going to have a hard time proving it was Ford that is responsible.
Old 11/22/04, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

But if it's under the paint, it's obviously a flaw from the plant! Don't ya think?
Old 11/22/04, 10:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

ALWAYS go over your car carefully before you take delivery or sign papers.

NO new car should be accepted with flaws like that in this day and age when the bar has been raised so high by most manufacturers around the world.
Old 11/22/04, 10:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by derynf@November 22, 2004, 2:06 PM
I was showing my car to a friend and he noticed that my spoiler is tweaked. It has about a 1/4 inch clearance on the left and about 3/4- 1 inch clearance on the right.

I'm sorry to hear about the paint issues on your car. I'm confused on what you mean on the spoiler being tweaked? Are you meaning that it isn't centered on your trunk lid (side-to-side)?
Old 11/23/04, 12:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Giddyup+November 22, 2004, 9:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Giddyup @ November 22, 2004, 9:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-derynf@November 22, 2004, 2:06 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the paint issues on your car. I'm confused on what you mean on the spoiler being tweaked? Are you meaning that it isn't centered on your trunk lid (side-to-side)? [/b][/quote]
the left side seems to be bent down more than the right.
Old 11/23/04, 12:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by derynf@November 22, 2004, 11:35 PM

the left side seems to be bent down more than the right.
Oh..... So you are referring to the spoilers down-flap on each end, and it's space from the trunk lid. This is even more surprising than if it was mounted crooked, because I thought they were molded of PVC...Fiberglass...or other, and free of dimension abnormalities.....
Old 11/23/04, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

The body shop guy says it probably warped coming out of the mold.
Old 11/23/04, 10:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by derynf@November 23, 2004, 8:30 AM
The body shop guy says it probably warped coming out of the mold.
Man, that's terrible that there are this many flaws in the cosmetics of your car. :notnice: At least if the holes to mount the spoiler are in the right position, then this part is an easy fix with a new spoiler. The thing that concerns me are the flaws/scratches in and under your paint. I saw a Yellow V-6 on the showroom floor that had some very noticible finish problems on the exterior rear-window channel on drivers side. As noted within this topic, ALL production cars have some flaws somewhere......and some stick out more than others. I've already made my ford store aware that I will be spending the better part of an hour checking the fit/finish/cosmetics of the Satin Silver GT when it arrives.....and then all the other inspections as soon as I turn the key. The last thing I want to happen is to give Ford an opening to debate the fault (mine or theirs) and/or time frame of any issues that could happen with the car. Keep us informed of your fix options (if they give you any) and good luck to you.
Old 11/23/04, 10:25 AM
GT Member

Darn Canadians!
Old 11/23/04, 10:48 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally posted by vwAirCooled@November 23, 2004, 12:28 PM
Darn Canadians!
too funny j/k... There was a post the other night and I found a flashlight to see if mine was made in Canada. Seems they all were.
Old 11/23/04, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes before signing any papers go over the car for any dings, scratches, imperfections, something not working then when you have found these things, if any, have the dealer sign an I OWE YOU slip listing the things in writing that need to be fixed. That way, there is no confusion in what needs to be done.

Quick Reply: Everyone look real closely at paint job