2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dustin gets pulled over again Part IX: Luck runs out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/07, 07:36 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dustin gets pulled over again Part IX: Luck runs out!!!

So I'm just driving down the highway minding my own business. There's a lot of road construction and MA state troopers everywhere. I see this statie had pulled over this kid in a crappy old integra and I laughed at him . About 2 miles later down the road, I'm in the passing lane doing about 90. I look behind me and I see a statie in the distance racing up behind me, I swear the guy must have been doing 140 to gain on me that fast. I was going about 85-90 at the time. I had slowed down before he got up to me and my radar detector never went off. Great

me: hi officer
deputy dog: (annoyed) Why did you "burp the motor" at me when you went by me back there
me: uh, no way in hell I would be stupid enough to do that
dd: well you car is rediculously loud, its louder than a truck
me: oh
dd: what did you do to this thing? do you even have mufflers?
me: just changed the mufflers out, you can look right under the car and see them
(I have the resonators underneath to quiet down the SLPs, and the cop never even bothered to look under the car and verify my claim)
dd: well do those mufflers have baffles in them? Well I'm a CAR GUY (emphasis there) and I can tell that they don't have baffles. So I suggest you tell the truth
me: yeah no baffles
dd: yeah I thought so, you know how I can tell that? because I'm a CAR GUY

At this point it seemed like deputy dog said "car guy" like 15 times. I'm like, is this guy kidding me? There's no way I'm exaggerating this. He's just trying to act like he's so friggin smart because he's a "car guy" and figured me out.

dd: start the car up
me: (I start the car up without revving it at all)
dd: thought so (and goes back to the car)

so he's gone for like 5 minutes then comes back

dd: I don't know what the laws are in NH but here in MA you need to have baffles in your mufflers. just fill out the back and you can appeal it if you want to. Be careful pulling out
me : okay

So I look at the ticket, it's only a $35 fine for "modified exhaust: hollow mufflers". He walks back to his car and I just start laughing. I can't help but think this guy is such a tool for the following reasons:

A) if he's such a "car guy" then why the hell did he pull me over in the first place. All the "car guy" cops I know don't pull muscle cars over.

B) if he's such a smart "car guy" he doesn't have the brains to figure out that I have no cats on my car and that's the real reason why it is so loud. I'm pretty sure in MA if you get caught with no cats in MA it's a $300 fine and they tow you. Either this guy knew I had no cats and was giving me a break by never bringing it up so I wouldn't get a bigger fine OR he was really just a WANNA BE CAR GUY who works on his "friend's" car. I'm guessing option 2. I consider myself a "car guy" and I can point out any kind of muscle car that has no cats on it. I guess that's because I drive one and he pretends to have one

So my streak comes to an end I guess. Although the ticket wasn't even meaningful or serious. An equipment violation like this I'm 99% sure doesn't even count against your insurance. It's the same as driving with a light out I think. I guess I'm lucky that the guy was so hell bent on catching me that he didn't notice me going 90 in a 55.
Old 10/13/07, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(The late Howard Cosell)"Dustindu4 goes down, Dustindu4 goes down, Dustindu4 goes down!!! The champ has been dethrowned after 8 sucessful defenses!"
I'm just kidding man. You had had a good run, but just wait til next summer..YOU'LL BE BACK!!
Old 10/13/07, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

$35...that's it. Here you would pay $135.
Old 10/13/07, 12:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It had to happen sooner or later Dustin. Just be glad it's only a $35 non moving violation ticket. Maybe the "car guy" routine was him letting you know that he was letting you off easy. An equipment violation in another state is cheesy to me but, it's better than the alternative.
Old 10/13/07, 12:33 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Wait a second...
If he gave you a ticket in MA for modified exhaust and the car and you are NH registered and inspected, how would that hold up in court?
It is hardly worth fighting for the $35 when you figure all of the travel and expenses.
I assume it is not a moving violation and therefore can't count for points (plus it is out of state and MA doesn't always communicate well with NH).
Old 10/13/07, 12:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
yeah...youd think since it was for equipment that could be legal in your state..since he didn't know....I'm surprised he didnt let you go....but if he was a Jacka$$ I guess I'm not surprized.
Old 10/13/07, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

What a Ma$$hole. I would have to say you are still 9-0!!!!! You were doing 90! and didn't get a moving violation. You got a fixit ticket. In my book that is a warning if you were speeding the way you were. I bet you were hoping someone would say this.
Old 10/13/07, 05:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh you're lucky you don't live here, they wouldn't miss the speed part and give you a ticket for over $2000.
Old 10/13/07, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

AWESOME story. yea whenever i get pulled over its either for the tint or they think im running with no cats. yes my tints are highly illegal but the mufflers, not so much (flowmaster axlebacks only). so far im like 6-0 because of where i work (cant say because my job googles the name of my job to see if people are talking about them ).

the whole part with the "im a car guy" thing........id have to hold myself back from answering "yea, ARE YA?!?!?" wat a douche. dont know how your going to afford that 35$ ticket though. thats a killer fine! (insert sarcastic laugh here)
Old 10/13/07, 10:16 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
That's rediculous. I'd say your count is either still 8-0, or 8.5-0. For doing 90 here, youda been paying a little more than $35. I respect cops, they have a dangerous job, but they shouldn't try to kid people. I'm a car guy... I could never be a cop, I might would end up pulling over sweet rides just because.
Old 10/13/07, 11:42 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Heh you're lucky you don't live here, they wouldn't miss the speed part and give you a ticket for over $2000.

Woo hoo draconian "civil remedial fees" FTW! We even made it into Csaba Csere's column.
Old 10/14/07, 03:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pebkac
. . . Ma$$hole . . .
That is pretty funny.
Old 10/14/07, 09:58 AM

I think it's just worth the $35 for the ticket because it's funny and looks nice up on the wall of my cubicle with my other warnings
Old 10/14/07, 11:02 AM

Funny stuff Dustin! I say you are still 8.5-0
Old 10/14/07, 11:40 AM

maybe we should have a poll
Old 10/14/07, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

i tihnk we should.
it should say, "if you were the cop what would you do?
A.do exactly as the other cop did
B. still pull him over but no ticket
C.not even pull him over
D. try to race him in your crown vic

I vote D!!!!!!!!
Old 10/14/07, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can't believe nobody has brought this up yet. Here are the specs for the SLP Loudmouths:

Features
  • Mandrel-bent 2.5" tubing offers unbeatable flow characteristics
  • Significantly lighter than the OEM muffler assembly
  • Installs in under 30 minutes
  • Constructed entirely from 304 stainless steel
  • Hand-polished, 3.5" dual-wall tips provide a show-quality appearance
  • Emissions legal in all 50 states
  • Includes pre-welded hangers, detailed instructions, and all necessary installation hardware
  • Covered by SLP's Performance Guarantee and limited lifetime warranty
Yeah, it's only $35. But this is your perfect record we're talking about here. How about you send in a copy of the emissions legal statement from SLP with your fix it ticket and tell them to pound sand? If that works, I want full credit for you remaining undefeated.
Old 10/14/07, 07:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Emissions legal doesn't necessarily mean it is NOISE legal.
Old 10/14/07, 07:39 PM
FR500 Member

i wish i can make a thread about how many times ive been pulled over but there would be a 19th thread....yep thats right i just got the lights thrown on me for the 19th time since april of 2006 this past friday night...0 tickets so far knock on wood

i know 19 is alot in 1 car but i have the witnesses...there were times when i was pulled over twice in 1 day

the reason why: NEW JERSEY AND NO FRONT LICENSE PLATE hahaha
Old 10/14/07, 11:37 PM
GT Member

the guy doesn't have cats and it's coupled with the loudest axleback out there... the 05+ GT sounds like a rusted out crop duster like that; hardly good.

you got caught for it and it could have been much worse... so what's all this fuss about?

Quick Reply: Dustin gets pulled over again Part IX: Luck runs out!!!