2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dropped My Mustang Off At The Body Shop Today

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/04, 07:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i lived in heck (south florida/ W palm beach) for 4 months from NYC

i always noticed and said it seems MANY times more dangerous driving in FL.. but insurance is dirt cheap..then the list of most dangerous places to drive came out and FL was 2 or 3 and NY was like 23 or something
guess we get the 300% you have stuff to do tax=p

so glad i got back to NYC

i was literally having a mental breakdown from the amazing amount of stupidity there
everywhere you go someones trying to rip you off.. and the people are SOOOOO SLOW argh..anyway =like i said the bull down there almost made me snap so me and my girlfriend gave up our apartment 6 months b4 lease ended and flew our hineys back to LIVE WITH OUR PARENTS iinstead of down there lol

id rather live in my parents basement on the LI/Queens border than w palm beach

sorry to get off topic..just whenever i see anything about south florida...besides party 93.1 i get very angry and start to shake
Old 11/30/04, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@November 29, 2004, 11:33 PM
A motorcyclist pulled a wheelie in front of me coming off a red light, but he pulled up too high and fell right off the back of his bike, about 15 ft in front of my bumper. I couldn't swerve into the other lane to avoid him because of oncoming traffic, so instead of running the imbecile over, I rammed a guardrail between 15 - 20 MPH. The guy on the motorcycle was up and off like a speeding bullet before I even got out of the car. Then some idiot called the police. Luckily, they didn't witness anything, so they couldn't give me a ticket. One of the younger ones really wanted to. The older cop was much nicer about it.
Oh by the way, a FYI - whenever you have a collision in the '05 Stang, it trips a fuel cutoff switch located in the driver's side footwell. You have to switch it off to get the car going again.
You say that LUCKILY they didn't witness anything so they couldn't give you a ticket. That makes it sound like it was your fault. Cause if they did witness it and it wasn't your fault then there would be no reason to give you a ticket.

Also why is the guy who called the cops an idiot? isn't that what you do when there is an accident?
Old 11/30/04, 08:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm curious as to why your left fender was damaged? :scratch: If you didn't go into the other lane (to your left, opposing traffic I assume?) and you swerved right to hit the guardrail, why was your left fender damaged? Did you spin around?

And by all means, if there is an accident you should ALWAYS call the cops - your insurance company will want an accident report to pay out.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 11/30/04, 08:05 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jcopin@November 30, 2004, 8:07 AM

i always noticed and said it seems MANY times more dangerous driving in FL.. but insurance is dirt cheap..then the list of most dangerous places to drive came out and FL was 2 or 3 and NY was like 23 or something

i was literally having a mental breakdown from the amazing amount of stupidity there
everywhere you go someones trying to rip you off.. and the people are SOOOOO SLOW argh..anyway =like i said the bull down there almost made me snap so me and my girlfriend gave up our apartment 6 months b4 lease ended and flew our asses back to LIVE WITH OUR PARENTS iinstead of down there lol

sorry to get off topic..just whenever i see anything about south florida...besides party 93.1 i get very angry and start to shake

You are SO right, man.

I moved down here because of a family (health) situation. That is over and done with as of this year so I plan on getting my bearings and some extra cash in my pocket and then deciding just WHEN the heck I am out of this state. There are definitely some things I like about Florida (winters are awesome - brother lives here) but there is just too much silly crap to deal with.... think I'll be Virginia-bound eventually. Not sure where exactly - went to college in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk border area but last few times up there visiting, not too nuts about that area anymore.... (or at least in the general location of my old school...)
Old 11/30/04, 08:15 AM
Cobra Member

Normally, if you run into anything the police will write you a ticket. Usually for failure to maintain control. In this situation, I'd pay for the accident out of my own pocket, and not tell the insurance anything. All they would do is raise your rates over the ticket and the claim.
Old 11/30/04, 08:26 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I don't get why you would want the witness to see what happened, if they would of confirmed that it wasn't your fault and wouldn't affect your insurance rates, now it looks like you just ran into a guard rail and lost control and it will affect your rates.
Old 11/30/04, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a buddy who has several tricked out vehichles. Over the last couple of years his cars/suvs have been involved in 4 fender benders. NONE OF THEM determined to be his fault.

That said he has a theory that when something happens, it's gods way of saying, "since it's in the body shop, might as well customize something" You know shave the handles. Customize rear lighting.... Add a duck tail.... CDC shaker hood..... I mean as long as it's in there.

I'd be putting in a call quick to cdc and explain my sad sad story. Maybe they have a prototype shaker hood laying around. I mean as long as it's already there, you might just get a hook up on labor.

heck GET THE STRIPES at the very least.

Sorry about your car. Try to find a silver lining if you can.
Old 11/30/04, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, here in NJ, we have a No Fault law... so even if there was a witness, and it was meted out to be 100% the other guys fault (which I would doubt in this liberal state... it's NEVER any one person's total fault), my insurance would STILL go up, especially since I'm only 21. I have a 1k deductable on my policy, and the damages may not even come out to 1k, so what would be the point of telling my insurance company? So they can raise my rates?
As for the calling the guy an idiot for calling the cops, I said that becuase I told him I was okay and NOT to call the police, that I'd just take care of it myself... then he went back in his car, called the cops on his cell, and drove off!! When the police showed up, I felt like banging my head into the smashed bumper, lol.
And lodom is right, at least here in NJ. Cops are itching to give you a ticket if you run into something, anything. Reckless driving, failure to maintain control of the vehicle, etc. I really lucked out because the older cop was a nice guy, a Ford man, and felt bad about it being my first new car and all. I mean, even if they HAD given me a ticket, I doubt it would have stood up in court because they didn't witness anything, but at least I don't have to go through that court-appearance hassle. My driving record is still perfect.
Old 11/30/04, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

To Steve: My left front fender was damaged because I had to swerve so sharply to avoid him, and the fact that I was still in first gear and my foot was partially on the gas, I got some wheel spin and the back end came around, sending my left front end up the curb and into the guardrail. (sigh)
Old 11/30/04, 01:34 PM
V6 Member

it's good that they (cops) didn't write anything. That would give you something on your record even if it is no your fault.

I got backed into in a Cobra kit car. Tiny scratch front driver fender.5K dollars later because that whole body needed repainting because no break in body(one piece body). Anyway I didn't report it to my insurance but directly to other insurance AAA. They paid with no problem because the person who hit me admitted fault, but they than reported it to my insurance.

So long story short I have nothing on my DmV record and no claims with my insurance (farmers). So I told them i had a clean record my rate full coverage $508 six months. I'm 25 BTW They call back one week later and told me my new rate because of pervious accident (not my fault, didn't claim with farmers insurance) was going to be $1028 six months. What the heck. Well anyways since all my familys cars are together they just used my fathers as the primary driver went all the way down to $338 six months.
It works out because I am allowed to drive all car in family so I'm still covered. It just stinked to keep that rate I need to live at home.
I think all insurance companies work together sharing information to raise rates.
Old 11/30/04, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@November 30, 2004, 1:48 PM
To Steve: My left front fender was damaged because I had to swerve so sharply to avoid him, and the fact that I was still in first gear and my foot was partially on the gas, I got some wheel spin and the back end came around, sending my left front end up the curb and into the guardrail. (sigh)
That stinks about your car getting messed up. Sounds like maybe you were a little at fault too though. Maintaining control of your car in a stressful situation is just part of life.

If I crashed every time a deer jumped right in front of me I'd probably want to move out of Michigan.

I'm not trying to rip on you, I'm just saying be careful and drive safe. It boggles my mind that this could happen within 350 miles.

Also, that guy was doing something stupid, but not all motorcyclists are idiots. I've been riding for 10 years, and I've never crashed a bike. I pull wheelies occasionally, and sometimes with people around, but never when they are within the vicinity of me which could cause damage to them or me.
Old 11/30/04, 01:55 PM
GT Member

sorry about the damage Always leave MORE room between yourself & a motorcycle than a car. They can stop quicker even if they aren't doing stupid things!
Old 11/30/04, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, what a story man. I'm sure everyone in your shoes would have been like...run the dirty scumbag over! He deserves it, but then your tires and wheel wells would be all messy.
Old 11/30/04, 02:07 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh okay, that makes a difference, my deductible is $250.
Old 11/30/04, 02:13 PM
FR500 Member

well if i was a witness i woulda done what i would to stop him and/or call the cops and report a bike or try to get plates....whatever i could to to help someone u know
Old 11/30/04, 03:40 PM
Queen Of Nascar

What a story. That would really stink. My logic is that his insurance company should be paying to get your car fixed. I know thats not how it is but it should be. Good Luck to you and I hope your car comes back to you perfect and it don't cost you a fortune in repairs.
Old 11/30/04, 04:03 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by jcopin@November 30, 2004, 8:07 AM

everywhere you go someones trying to rip you off.. and the people are SOOOOO SLOW argh..anyway =like i said the bull down there almost made me snap so me and my girlfriend gave up our apartment 6 months b4 lease ended and flew our hineys back to LIVE WITH OUR PARENTS iinstead of down there lol

[QUOTE]
I've lived in Philly and paid 3600 a year for car insurance on my junky 92 Legacy (a decent starter car), which was the combined rate of both my parents. The ACTUAL reason why insurance is so high in the NE cities is because so many people drive WITHOUT it. So because of a law, if you get hit by someone driving without insurance, when you sue or file claims against them YOUR insurance pays you. But if they hit you, by all means, they're able to sue YOUR insurance. So either way, the people actually driving with insurance lose because theyre supporting the people without it(by giving them money if you hit them, and by giving you money if they hit you- instead of you suing them bankrupt), plus they dont have to deal with the high premium. Now in Pittsburgh I get my insurance for 1,200 a year.
Old 11/30/04, 04:06 PM
Cobra R Member

PMCARLINO

Try shopping Progressive Auto insurance.
Old 11/30/04, 04:07 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Shea@November 30, 2004, 2:55 PM
Also, that guy was doing something stupid, but not all motorcyclists are idiots.
I'm in agreement with shea here. As a Motorcyclist, and one that lost his best friend in a bike wreck just over a year ago, can we tone down the cycle hate? There's a name for idiot riders in the motorcycle world: squids. These are the idiots riding in shorts, tshirts, flip flops and a $1000 helmet on their $20k bike. It sickens me to see talk of deliberately running the guy over. He absolutely was at fault, but every day are dozens of motorcycle casualties and fatalaties caused by car (and usually, SUV) drivers not paying attention.

sorry for your damage, heres hoping you get her back pretty as ever!
Old 11/30/04, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear about your car.

Quick Reply: Dropped My Mustang Off At The Body Shop Today