2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drone is Gone

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/17, 09:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Drone is Gone

I have an 08 Bullitt and have never been satisfied with the exhaust until now. I've had JBA shorties, mufflers from Corsa, Borla, FRPP, stock Bullitt, and Pypes. I'm likely leaving out one or two. My current system is Kooks LT headers, Kooks H-Pipe with high flow cats, and MBRP stainless muffler. For me - it's the sound I've always associated with old school muscle cars. But it came at a price - head splitting drone. Dynamat and Dynapad were no help. Neither did the Flowmaster resonators that I welded in (they are coming back out). The only muffler that didn't drone was stock Bullitt, Corsa, and FR500S. The Bullitt sounds good - but too quiet for me. The Corsa - no drone but very raspy on accel. The FR500S were perfect with stock manifold but went crazy when I installed the Kooks LT.

So I stumbled over a post that reported success with J-Pipes. I had my local muffler shop (Henry's Mufflers in Raleigh, NC on Lacy Ave - ask for Donald) fab me a couple adjustable ones and welded them in place - all for $150. I was skeptical but desperate. My drone range was from 120-140 HZ (download a frequency meter for your Droid or Apple). We set them at 28" - killed the drone between 120-130. Then we adjusted them to 26.5 and ALL of my drone is gone.

Solo-Performance specialized in J-Pipes - but not for our rides. Also, the one they sell is 36". One, there isn't anywhere under our cars to put one of these and two, only 26-28" is needed for the 8 cyl - longer for the 6 cyl.

Just google j-pipes and mustangs. Someone even posted a chart where they calculated the length needed at different frequencies, allowing for both 6 and 8 cyl. It's not magic - it's science - and it works.

If you need more information, just reply to this and I'll help you if I can.

Last edited by Bullitt-08; 11/2/17 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11/2/17, 10:17 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah I have the Solo Mach catback on my 2012 (I know not the same thing) and there is 100% zero drone. The J-pipes are legit. I recommend Solo all the time, but most people dont seem to know or care about them?

Glad you got your exhaust sorted, and very clever to make your own J-pipes.
Old 11/2/17, 11:49 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt-08
I have an 08 Bullitt and have never been satisfied with the exhaust until now. I've had JBA shorties, mufflers from Corsa, Borla, FRPP, stock Bullitt, and Pypes. I'm likely leaving out one or two. My current system is Kooks LT headers, Kooks H-Pipe with high flow cats, and MBRP stainless muffler. For me - it's the sound I've always associated with old school muscle cars. But it came at a price - head splitting drone. Dynamat and Dynapad were no help. Neither did the Flowmaster resonators that I welded in (they are coming back out). The only muffler that didn't drone was stock Bullitt, Corsa, and FR500S. The Bullitt sounds good - but too quiet for me. The Corsa - no drone but very raspy on accel. The FR500S were perfect with stock manifold but went crazy when I installed the Kooks LT.

So I stumbled over a post that reported success with J-Pipes. I had my local muffler shop (Henry's Mufflers in Raleigh, NC on Lacy Ave - ask for Donald) fab me a couple adjustable ones and welded them in place - all for $150. I was skeptical but desperate. My drone range was from 120-140 HZ (download a frequency meter for your Droid or Apple). We set them at 28" - killed the drone between 120-130. Then we adjusted them to 26.5 and ALL of my drone is gone.

Solo-Performance specialized in J-Pipes - but not for our rides. Also, the one they sell is 36". One, there isn't anywhere under our cars to put one of these and two, only 26-28" is needed for the 8 cyl - longer for the 6 cyl.

Just google j-pipes and mustangs. Someone even posted a chart where they calculated the length needed at different frequencies, allowing for both 6 and 8 cyl. It's not magic - it's science - and it works.

If you need more information, just reply to this and I'll help you if I can.
Prior to your current system, were you running either the stock catted H, off road mid pipe or high-flow cats with the Borla's and your other mufflers that you were experiencing drone from ?
Anyhow I started out with the stock catted H with Magnaflow street axle back mufflers but found them to be too quiet.. So from there I first upgraded to Borla S-type mufflers but ended up with really bad drone, then after reading several different exhaust threads that claim if you run a non-chambered/straight thru design muffler with the factory catted H still in place, that it's the stock cats which supposedly cause the drone due to slowing the amount of airflow through the exhaust from being so restrictive..

Whether this happens to be accurate or not, I have no idea.. Anyway I then went by what was posted in the exhaust threads by first removing the OEM catted H as recommended and then upgrading to the Mac off road prochamber with the Borla's along with the stock exhaust manifolds still in place.. Needless to say, the resonance drone is still there but not quite as severe as with the stock cats.. However the exhaust noise is twice as loud from inside the cabin even with the Mac prochamber added in which I thought would help in providing a noticeable reduction of drone from inside the cabin.. At any rate, my only other options I can think of is either adding a pair of Magnaflow high-flow cats with the off road prochamber or adding a couple of Vibrant 1793 resonators or perhaps even both..

In the meantime, I'd welcome any type of feedback and advice in which you might be able to provide.. Thanks in advance..

-Rocky
Old 11/3/17, 05:46 AM

Reply to Rocky

Reply to Rocky

Hi Rocky – I’ll try to help you sort things out. Trying to find that ideal sound without drone can be a frustrating and expensive endeavor.

To your Borla question…I didn’t try Borla (touring) until after I installed the Kooks LT and H-pipe w/ high flow cats. At that point I had Corsa Sport and they became loud enough to wake the dead. And they were always ‘raspy’ on acceleration but became obnoxiously so after installing Kooks. To their credit though – they never droned – no matter what was upstream from them. They are designed to cancel out the frequencies that represent drone – the same thing a J-Pipe will do.

That was my experience – others may differ. The only exhaust that I had with any configuration that didn’t drone were the Corsa (I tried Extreme and Sport), FR500S, and Bullitt mufflers. I don’t have them now for the reasons previously stated. It seems to me that the design of the muffler determines if that annoying 120 HZ~ frequency resonates through your car. Whether you have cats, no cats, or high flow cats does affect the volume of the exhaust – so if you have drone with stock cats – it will only get louder with high flow or no cats. This has been my experience – your mileage may vary.

I was glad to learn from fourdegrees11that Solo Performance has an exhaust system for the newer model ‘stangs. The only thing they had in stock for generic applications was 36” long…no way will that fit under my car…especially with a Steeda rear sway bar installed. I did talk with the folks at Solo though – they were very knowledgeable and helpful. They are willing to fab me a J-Pipe to my specs out of 304 stainless steel. I’ll do that on my next car – or likely on my F-150 which also has a drone due to aftermarket exhaust.

I hope this helps. Consider J-Pipes – I think you will be pleased and will be able to keep your exhaust sounding like you want it without the drone.

Download a Frequency App to your phone. Take a drive with the app open, your windows closed, and your stereo off. I think you'll find your drone around 120 HZ~

Last edited by Bullitt-08; 11/3/17 at 05:48 AM. Reason: wrong path for pix
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (11/3/17)
Old 11/3/17, 11:46 AM

Reply to Rocky

Hi Rocky – I’ll try to help you sort things out. Trying to find that ideal sound without drone can be a frustrating and expensive endeavor.

To your Borla question…I didn’t try Borla (touring) until after I installed the Kooks LT and H-pipe w/ high flow cats. At that point I had Corsa Sport and they became loud enough to wake the dead. And they were always ‘raspy’ on acceleration but became obnoxiously so after installing Kooks. To their credit though – they never droned – no matter what was upstream from them. They are designed to cancel out the frequencies that represent drone – the same thing a J-Pipe will do.

That was my experience – others may differ. The only exhaust that I had with any configuration that didn’t drone were the Corsa (I tried Extreme and Sport), FR500S, and Bullitt mufflers. I don’t have them now for the reasons previously stated. It seems to me that the design of the muffler determines if that annoying 120 HZ~ frequency resonates through your car. Whether you have cats, no cats, or high flow cats does affect the volume of the exhaust – so if you have drone with stock cats – it will only get louder with high flow or no cats. This has been my experience – your mileage may vary.

I was glad to learn from fourdegrees11that Solo Performance has an exhaust system for the newer model ‘stangs. The only thing they had in stock for generic applications was 36” long…no way will that fit under my car…especially with a Steeda rear sway bar installed. I did talk with the folks at Solo though – they were very knowledgeable and helpful. They are willing to fab me a J-Pipe to my specs out of 304 stainless steel. I’ll do that on my next car – or likely on my F-150 which also has a drone due to aftermarket exhaust.

I hope this helps. Consider J-Pipes – I think you will be pleased and will be able to keep your exhaust sounding like you want it without the drone.

Download a Frequency App to your phone. Take a drive with the app open, your windows closed, and your stereo off. I think you'll find your drone around 120 HZ~
Your absolutely spot on about drone becoming louder when running either high-flow or no cats at all.. I hoped that by adding the Mac Pro chamber would've at least helped dampen the drone being that in a way it functions sort of like a third muffler from what I read on the exhaust threads..

Anyway in your honest opinion, do you think by adding resonators to my O/R pro chamber and Borla setup would make any real difference in reducing cabin drone or would it be considered as a waste of time and not really accomplish much of anything..

As for having solo performance fab up J Pipes ? it's all going to depend on how much it's going to cost.. If they can fab up a pair for about the same price as let's say for example Vibrant resonators, part # 1793 or under $200.00 then I'd be more than willing to give it a try..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/3/17 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11/3/17, 12:45 PM

To resonate or not...

Rocky, I tried Magnaflow resonators and they did nothing for the drone, except for the degree to which they reduced the exhaust volume - which was slight as they are high flowing resonators. I spent a few coin to open up my exhaust and hesitated adding resonators but at least with the Magnaflow resonators I didn't notice any performance degradation. What I did notice though is it seemed to clean up the exhaust note just a bit...now I can hear my cams better.

I don't know what Solo will charge but I suspect it will be more than $200 as they charge $225 or so for their off the shelf ones....which may not fit your car...they are 36" and I only had 28" in which to install mine. That being said, my local muffler shop made and installed mine for $150.

Will your resonators help with your drone? In my experience, no. Your exhaust system is different than mine so, perhaps. If they don't...J-pipe works for me, and countless others.

Last edited by Bullitt-08; 11/3/17 at 12:46 PM.
m05fastbackGT (11/3/17)
Old 11/3/17, 11:18 PM

Rocky, I tried Magnaflow resonators and they did nothing for the drone, except for the degree to which they reduced the exhaust volume - which was slight as they are high flowing resonators. I spent a few coin to open up my exhaust and hesitated adding resonators but at least with the Magnaflow resonators I didn't notice any performance degradation. What I did notice though is it seemed to clean up the exhaust note just a bit...now I can hear my cams better.

I don't know what Solo will charge but I suspect it will be more than $200 as they charge $225 or so for their off the shelf ones....which may not fit your car...they are 36" and I only had 28" in which to install mine. That being said, my local muffler shop made and installed mine for $150.

Will your resonators help with your drone? In my experience, no. Your exhaust system is different than mine so, perhaps. If they don't...J-pipe works for me, and countless others.
I honestly don't see what good resonators are going to do for drone if they just reduce the overall exhaust volume which I really don't want to lose, as I'm actually very pleased with the overall sound of the Borla S-type's except for the interior resonance drone..

So rather than throw more $$$ down the drain on resonators that may not help, I feel that it's best to follow your advice and take a serious look at J-pipes as a possible alternative instead

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/4/17 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11/4/17, 03:40 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I just down shift or speed up

Problem solved

FTR I have kooks headers, sometimes highflow catted h sometimes off-road h, and borla stingers
Old 11/4/17, 11:54 AM

Shifting down and speeding up does help, but not while sitting at idle.. Trust me, when you have to stop at traffic lights practically ever 2 min around here before getting onto the interstate, the drone can get very annoying to say the very least lol. However for the most part, I've dealt with it as I really like the overall sound from the stingers and always get compliments as well..

I also agree that you shouldn't have to always down shift/speed up just in order to get rid of drone, but if that's what it takes until I find a solution, then so be it as I'll just continue to deal with it..

In the meantime, I'll be contacting Solo Performance on Monday regarding J-pipes and if I can locate a local shop that can fabricate them at hopefully an affordable price, then I'll be more than willing to give them a shot

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 11/4/17 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11/4/17, 12:15 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
My drone only happens at about 1900-2000 rpm so it ain’t bad

Either that or I’m deaf

I just feel like it’s part of having the car the way I have it I guess

But hey it ain’t no daily driver so yeah I get it
Old 11/4/17, 01:08 PM

Same here Gary.. I only experience drone when under load between 1500-2000 RPM and while sitting in traffic at idle.. Other than that, It's not really all that bad..

I also don't daily drive the car either, except during car cruise season which is pretty much winding down around here anyhow.. There's just one more car cruise tomorrow.. After that, I'll be putting her away until spring
Old 11/4/17, 03:41 PM

droning on...

Rocky - I hope that you can find a local shop to fab you some J-Pipes that fit your ride and that works out for you. I was fortunate enough to find a local guy in NC that has experience making and installing them.
The drone zone on our rides 'generally' begins at about 120 HZ~ or around 2 K rpm. At least that has been my experience with the aftermarket mufflers I've tried. Of course there are many variables with the endless after market exhaust combinations that are available. I'm new to this forum but I'll try to attach a pix or two of my pipes - as well as the chart where someone has done the math for us so we have a place to begin in relation to length of J-Pipes. The 't-handle' will be removed now that I have the pipes adjusted properly and the adjustable portion of the pipe will be welded so there are no leaks or movement. The only place they fit on my car, as you can see, is between the H-Pipe and the resonators (I

Let me know how it turns out for you Rocky.
m05fastbackGT (11/4/17)
Old 11/4/17, 06:57 PM

Rocky - I hope that you can find a local shop to fab you some J-Pipes that fit your ride and that works out for you. I was fortunate enough to find a local guy in NC that has experience making and installing them.
The drone zone on our rides 'generally' begins at about 120 HZ~ or around 2 K rpm. At least that has been my experience with the aftermarket mufflers I've tried. Of course there are many variables with the endless after market exhaust combinations that are available. I'm new to this forum but I'll try to attach a pix or two of my pipes - as well as the chart where someone has done the math for us so we have a place to begin in relation to length of J-Pipes. The 't-handle' will be removed now that I have the pipes adjusted properly and the adjustable portion of the pipe will be welded so there are no leaks or movement. The only place they fit on my car, as you can see, is between the H-Pipe and the resonators (I

I'll start looking around for a local shop that hopefully has some experience/knowledge with J-pipes.. More than likely I won't be getting around to having it done until the spring as the Mustang will be getting put away for the winter.. I was also going to ask if you could attach pics of your pipes but forgot lol. In the meantime, if it's not asking too much trouble, could you also attach a copy of the chart as well..

Btw: I also didn't get your name and also forgot to say welcome to TMS.. Thanks again, Rocky
Old 11/6/17, 10:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
. . . . . The only muffler that didn't drone was stock Bullitt, Corsa, and FR500S. . . . . The FR500S were perfect with stock manifold but went crazy when I installed the Kooks LT. . . . .
Curious what you mean here -- FR500S too loud with the LT headers? Or did it drone?

I have the FR500S with the remainder of the exhaust stock right now, and like you said it is nearly perfect. I am thinking about headers in the future and wondering if the FR500S mufflers will be too loud.
Old 11/6/17, 10:36 AM

Drone is gone...

Hi Bert

For my ears - the FR500S was the perfect exhaust with both stock manifolds and JBA shorties. But after installing Kooks LT and H-Pipe they got 'weird' on me. Not only were they louder than I wanted (but quieter than the Corsa Sports) they behaved strangely - making different sounds throughout the RPM range. I can't really explain it - but I couldn't wait to get them off of my car. Perhaps they got damaged somehow? Your experience will be different - but that was mine. I will like to hear about your experience after you install long tubes. I hated it too because they sounded so sweet with shorties and the stock Bullitt H-Pipe. Sometimes I wish I had just kept them with the shorties but am always looking for some more NA power - and other than heads/manifold/TB the exhaust was my next option. No regrets though - opening up the exhaust was a good decision for my goals. That will hold me till I port my heads, upgrade to FRPP TB and manifold, etc......the journey never ends.
Old 11/6/17, 10:37 AM

Bert - sorry I didn't answer the drone question - the FR500S did not drone with any of my upstream changes....
Old 11/6/17, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
thanks Bullitt, makes sense . . . the headers are probably a ways off for me but will report back if/when I do them
Old 11/6/17, 12:57 PM

Just curious if your going to attach a couple of pics of your J-pipes as you mentioned ? I'm very interested in seeing what they look like..
Old 11/6/17, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
My car never really sees that 1800-2200 rpm range so drone is not an issue. Only time my car really sees engine speeds below 2400 is sitting there at idle.
Old 11/6/17, 03:01 PM

Pix

OK Rocky, they uploaded this time...the 'T-handle' is for adjusting the length of the pipe and will be removed when I weld the pipes in their final position. While testing and adjusting for optimal length they allow me to just reach under the car and adjust them w/o using a jack or lift. Also, as they are not constructed from 304 stainless I'll put a coat of header paint on them. End goal is to have some custom made by Solo Performance now that I have the specs figured out. They use 304 and mandrel bends.

Sad that you have to put your ride up for the winter...move south and you won't have that problem

...phillip
Attached Thumbnails Drone is Gone-j-pipe-chart.jpg   Drone is Gone-20171102_150407-23818-.jpg   Drone is Gone-j-pipe-.jpg  
m05fastbackGT (11/6/17)