2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Driving with fogs on

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/06, 06:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been flashed a few times also when I drive with all four lights on, even after I passed someone. I slowed down to return the same, but musta scared them because they turned.

Alot of times, I drive with the fogs on and not the headlights and sometimes seems just as bright. Havent seen anyone state this so guessing im alone on that one.
Old 10/16/06, 06:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't run mine that often, don't want them to burn out, have heard they are a pain to change the bulbs in them.
Old 10/16/06, 07:19 PM
Number Cruncher

Originally Posted by uofh2005
Alot of times, I drive with the fogs on and not the headlights and sometimes seems just as bright. Havent seen anyone state this so guessing im alone on that one.
You're not alone. I do this when I'm on the road at dusk. Makes the car more visible without turning on the headlights.
Only time I've run all four at the same time is in the fog.
Old 10/16/06, 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to get flashed when I ran with the standard fogs, but as Jeff said, since I installed the SSE grill, no more flashes. (At least the high-beam type)
Old 10/16/06, 08:21 PM

The stock headlamps are not that good IMO. The fogs/driving lights help tremendously.

I get flashed on occasion, but just ignore it. Even with our fogs on, its not as bad as some hids or imports that blind the living **** out me.
Old 10/16/06, 08:50 PM
GT Member

I don't know if my headlights are off centered or what but i can't see hardly anything on a dark road unless i turn on my fogs.
Old 10/17/06, 05:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Fogs on - Headlights off?

I thought you could only put the fogs on when the headlights are on?
Old 10/17/06, 05:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by First Stang
I thought you could only put the fogs on when the headlights are on?
Mine will work with either the parking lights or low-beam headlights on. They won't work with high-beams, though.
Old 10/17/06, 05:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
...The V6 Pony Fogs are probably less bright than the GT fogs, that's probably why no one seems to care when i have them on in my V6.
They are also smaller than the GT's. I think the problem with GT drivers being flashed with their fogs on is that some of us are old enough to remember when many cars made from the late 1950s to the mid-70s came with four round (AKA "quad") headlights, two low-beam and two high-beam.

So when they see four round lights approximately the same size on at once, they assume two of them are high-beams. They aren't even thinking in terms of fog lights when they flash us.

A small price to pay for a cool retro look !
Old 10/17/06, 07:31 AM
Cobra Member

I usually don't drive with both head lights and fogs on anymore, just out of courtesy for other drivers. But they are in no way nearly as bright as trucks with silver stars and 6 foglights or those annoying HID's that seem to flash you in your rear view.

It seems in my area it is rare to see an approaching vehicle without atleast 2 head lights and two fog lights on. And even more rare that they haven't upgraded to silver stars or HID's. I need sunglasses when driving at night more so than during the day.
Old 10/17/06, 09:05 AM
GT Member

I drive with both on all the time and have never had a problem, pass cops a lot too.
Old 10/17/06, 12:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I use my fog lights all the time - no trouble whatsoever. I have never been brighted/hassled. Guess the 'Stang is recognizable now since it isn't new anymore.
Old 10/17/06, 01:35 PM
V6 Member

After having totaled 2 vehicles in the last 6 years due to deer jumping out in front of me, I always turn on my fog lights whenever I have the low beams on. The fog lights throw a lot more light off to the sides of the road, making the deer easier to spot.
Old 10/17/06, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I also use my foglights all the time because of deer they do help alot. Other drivers flash their high beams on me all the time its pretty annoying.
Old 10/17/06, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Depending on your state they may or may not be illegal to run at night if its not foggy.
For those of you who get flashed, when having the fogs on, they ARE brighter than the low beams, and not aimed quite low enough either.
I got a warning in Okla for having mine on near nightfall. I didnt realize how much brighter they were till the officer explained it to me and I checked it at home against the garage door. In Okla the OHP will likely stop you as the officer4 mentioned to me, they have taken note of their being brighter on the new Mustangs.
I do like the look though, and drive with mine on all the time till about 20 mins before sunset.
Old 10/18/06, 02:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
For those of you who get flashed, when having the fogs on, they ARE brighter than the low beams, and not aimed quite low enough either.
Screw 'em... the SUV, pickup truck, tractor trailer, and commercial trucks have much higher lights that practically blind drivers of small cars. Until they ban higher mounted headlights, I say run the fogs/driving lamps on the Mustang GTs and enjoy the better lighting.
Old 10/18/06, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

if i have my headlights on, i turn the fogs on, the ladies love it
Old 10/18/06, 02:30 PM
GT Member

I've had to pull over to the side of the road cause I've been blinded by uncoming traffic. Numerous times from Escalades and Rice
Old 10/18/06, 02:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Agleon
I've had to pull over to the side of the road cause I've been blinded by uncoming traffic. Numerous times from Escalades and Rice
AAA recommends looking down to your right in situations like that. It minimizes the effect of glare while allowing you to keep control of your vehicle.

In all honesty, I've had more problems with SUVs and pickups that have headlamps mounted in the OEM locations. There should be some regulation requiring trucks to be subjected to the same regulations regarding headlamp mounting heights.
Old 10/18/06, 03:27 PM
GT Member

Fog lights without headlights...

Originally Posted by Lennyb44
You're not alone. I do this when I'm on the road at dusk. Makes the car more visible without turning on the headlights.
Only time I've run all four at the same time is in the fog.
Come on guys...have you looked in the rearview at someone driving with their fog lights on but not their headlights?

Picture someone making the classic "cross-eyed" silly face...no really...picture it in your head...go ahead...I'll wait..........

That is what it looks like....like you are driving a "cross-eyed" car.

So let's review...

Driving with your parking lights on but not your headlights.....no.

Driving with your fogs on, but not your headlights......please...no.

Driving your convertible with the top down but the windows up...please....for Pete's sake.....nooooooooo!

Driving with your seat so reclined that you have to "raise up" to look in the rear-veiw......just so stupid.....you look like a 10 year old sitting on phone books trying to drive your daddy's car...so no.

The car is cool....just let it be cool...no need to try to "enhance" it....

Quick Reply: Driving with fogs on