2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

DRIVEN!

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/04, 10:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darn, youz guys are killing me. This wait is getting very painful now.
Old 8/19/04, 10:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you bog it off the line or it just felt sluggish? The reason I'm asking is because it should feel a little quicker than the current Stang off the line due to the 3.55's. That and the fact that Z28's are not known for their "bottom end" grunt, but rather their nasty pull up top.
Old 8/19/04, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Robert@August 19, 2004, 9:50 PM
Purple Hayz, the one significant thing you didn't talk about was the transmission. How was the shifter feel? Notchy? Balky? Or smooth and short like the higher end imports?

Great review otherwise though!
Put it this way. It makes the "short throw" Hurst shifter in the Z28 feel like you're shifting a truck. Spacing seemed quite good, and I had no problem running through the gears (though I went no higher than third, unfortunately). Clutch take up was great also. On the other hand, I've not driven that many high end imports with a manual, so my perspective may not be the best...

One final note. Though I never drove a manual SN95, I am familiar with the complaints that folks have had about the shifter placement, everything from crashing into water bottles to getting knuckle-busters on the radio. Whatever design issues were present, they are no longer a factor. I'm 6'2" and I like to recline in the driver's seat. Even from my lazy seating position (seatback partially reclined, seat moved all the way back), I had NO problem reaching any gear (in addition to my driving time, I spent about 10 minutes crawling through the interior of the Black V6 that was parked under the tent !)

More details tomorow
Old 8/19/04, 10:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by t69r00p69@August 19, 2004, 10:08 PM
Did you bog it off the line or it just felt sluggish? The reason I'm asking is because it should feel a little quicker than the current Stang off the line due to the 3.55's. That and the fact that Z28's are not known for their "bottom end" grunt, but rather their nasty pull up top.
See that's the only thing that gave me pause....

I definitely didn't bog it, though I didn't launch hard at all. It's perhaps more useful to think of it as a rolling start, since I didn't nail it unitl I was going about 5 mph. In any event the clutch was definitely out when I leaned into it. I wouldn't say there was any hesitation, but the pull for the first two seconds or so was not as strong as I had expected, nor as strong as the Z. My first reaction, to be honest, was that of mild disappointment. But that intitial response was quickly replaced by a grin once she got a full head of steam. As I mentioned, the Stang pullled MUCH harder toward the top of the revs, and the 1/2 shift was exhilerating.

I'm open to speculation at this point. Does the VVT on the mustang kick in at high revs, as is the case with many imports? Either that or simply my lack of experience with a smaller displacement, higher revving motor? I think once I've had some time to adjust my driving style, I may be able to launch that Stang as hard and fast as the Z...
Old 8/19/04, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, it's a bit like my V-max motorcycle, you have to get her up in the revs a bit before you pop the clutch in order to launch well.

Even feather it a bit, if you can manage.
Old 8/19/04, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by os121@August 19, 2004, 6:37 PM
Purple Hayz, thanks so much for sharing your experience !! That must have been so cool to have planted yourself in the car, and been able to jump on it. To think you had the opportunity to do this after waiting so long !! Come on October !!!
If only I could hibernate until then....

The wait will be tough, but it's made easier knowing first hand just how sweet a ride so many of us will be getting. I have learned a TON from this site :worship: but one can never fully appreciate any vehicle without getting some time behind the wheel :drive:

Before today, I "believed" we were getting a great car. Tonight I will fall asleep KNOWING that we are. And on that note....
Old 8/20/04, 01:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Awesome details Hayz!!!

...I don't know how I'm going to stand waiting until Spring 05 for my Stang...god I hope they come out with 6 months no finance cost deals in Jan!!!
Old 8/20/04, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write-up Hayz. Did they only allow you to drive one Mustang? I was just wondering if you could go from the black on to the yellow one and so on, or was it just one run in each model. Also, did the time that they scheduled you have any significance? It seems that with the hour and a half wait that it wouldn't matter what time you got there, just as long as your name was on the list. Just trying to prepare for when they come to KY Speedway.
Old 8/20/04, 07:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Purple Hayz+August 19, 2004, 11:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Purple Hayz @ August 19, 2004, 11:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-t69r00p69@August 19, 2004, 10:08 PM

I definitely didn't bog it, though I didn't launch hard at all. It's perhaps more useful to think of it as a rolling start, since I didn't nail it unitl I was going about 5 mph. In any event the clutch was definitely out when I leaned into it. I wouldn't say there was any hesitation, but the pull for the first two seconds or so was not as strong as I had expected, nor as strong as the Z. My first reaction, to be honest, was that of mild disappointment. But that intitial response was quickly replaced by a grin once she got a full head of steam. As I mentioned, the Stang pullled MUCH harder toward the top of the revs, and the 1/2 shift was exhilerating.

I'm open to speculation at this point. Does the VVT on the mustang kick in at high revs, as is the case with many imports? Either that or simply my lack of experience with a smaller displacement, higher revving motor? I think once I've had some time to adjust my driving style, I may be able to launch that Stang as hard and fast as the Z... [/b][/quote]
well once the motor is 'set' at say 5mph and you hit it, it will always bog unless you have 500 hp like a viper. If you lightly touch the clutch and allow a little slip just as you do it, I'm sure it flies
Old 8/20/04, 07:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by f1-cobra@August 20, 2004, 7:24 AM
Great write-up Hayz. Did they only allow you to drive one Mustang? I was just wondering if you could go from the black on to the yellow one and so on, or was it just one run in each model. Also, did the time that they scheduled you have any significance? It seems that with the hour and a half wait that it wouldn't matter what time you got there, just as long as your name was on the list. Just trying to prepare for when they come to KY Speedway.
I can probably help answer this one.

You could only drive ONE Mustang... BUT if you bring a guest and that guest doesn't want to drive the Mustang, switch cards with each other (you get this backstage pass thingie and they punch out what cars you've already driven) and hop back into line. That's what I did. When I was there in the morning.. there was barely a wait.. when I got in line to drive it again, after driving the 500 and wandering around, there was atleast an hour wait. Just hope they don't recognize you But they do switch workers during the day.

The 500.. I got to drive 2 different versions, and got to go around the track 2 times. They were both autos V6's, but one had a new CVT in it.

I got there about 9:30.. I was signed up for 10am. They didn't let anyone into the cars until 10. When you get there, there's booths set up and they highlight your name on the list and you sign an agreement form. Time didn't seem to matter and I think that was the most unorganized thing about the event. Your "scheduled time" doesn't matter. Word to the wise.. get there early
Old 8/20/04, 07:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by f1-cobra@August 20, 2004, 7:24 AM
When I went to the Chicago Inovation drive it did not matter, what time you got there, however we did not get to drive a Mustang. Oh, how I wish we could though!!!!!!!
Old 8/20/04, 07:39 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Purple-

Nice Post!! Thanks for the review!!
Old 8/20/04, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, Amy and Jim. I think I'll try to get there when they open and just make a whole day of it. My time isn't until 2, but it wouldn't hurt to try to get in line a little earlier.
Old 8/20/04, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by f1-cobra@August 20, 2004, 7:56 AM
Thanks, Amy and Jim. I think I'll try to get there when they open and just make a whole day of it. My time isn't until 2, but it wouldn't hurt to try to get in line a little earlier.
You can change your reservation time Give them a call or change it on the website.
Old 8/20/04, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Amy V6+August 20, 2004, 10:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Amy V6 @ August 20, 2004, 10:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-f1-cobra@August 20, 2004, 7:56 AM
You can change your reservation time Give them a call or change it on the website.[/b][/quote]
Thanks Amy, I'll do that after work. Our internet access here is very wierd. They restrict just about everything, but somehow this site still works.
Old 8/20/04, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by f1-cobra+August 20, 2004, 8:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (f1-cobra @ August 20, 2004, 8:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Amy V6@August 20, 2004, 10:04 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-f1-cobra
@August 20, 2004, 7:56 AM

You can change your reservation time Give them a call or change it on the website.
Thanks Amy, I'll do that after work. Our internet access here is very wierd. They restrict just about everything, but somehow this site still works. [/b][/quote]
I second Amy's suggestion to get there early. But don't trip if you have to wait for a while. I assure you, it'll be the best line-waiting experience you'll ever have I never grew tired of the Stang's exhaust note, or of watching them zip around the corners.

There was a nearly tragic moment, however. Some knucklehead totally missed 2nd gear. Wasn't pretty. Thought my ears were going to bleed (and the poor Stang )
Old 8/20/04, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

The funnest thing I saw was while I was shooting video at the start point. Someone in the black gt was rolling slowly past me when he decided to punch it. but missed the gear right in front of me and I commented " must of missed that one", I thought the c0-driver was going to loose it! she just put her hand over her mouth and gaged.
Old 8/20/04, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by sajawebb+August 20, 2004, 3:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sajawebb @ August 20, 2004, 3:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-freebass55@August 19, 2004, 8:51 PM
Got my invite today for 9/2 @ Irwindale Speedway. I am there!

Great info BTW!
See ya there along with CA Stang. [/b][/quote]
Yup, I'll be there. I can't wait. Everyone who drove it yesterday have made me even more eager to drive it.
Old 8/20/04, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Wombert@August 19, 2004, 6:36 PM
Additional details about the car, the show, etc, will be added later (if requested).
Would be nice to hear more. Like interior quality, room inside, your overall impression (not only driving stuff), ergonomics, nice features, what disturbed you (if this was the case), what surprised you etc.

But thanks for your nice summary
As requested.... B)

Interior quality. Quite good overall. By the time I arrived, GT demand (in a manual, of course) was so high that they had to park one of the two V6s (a black one) under the tent. So we spent a few minutes getting to know one another. I had actually thought the interior looked a little "busy" in some of the pictures we have seen. After sitting in it, I was impressed at just how effective and clean the layout really was. Materials quality and fit & finish trump all previous Stangs and make the Z-28 look positively archaic. The most impressive area is the instrument cluster which is quite stunning. The cluster and gauges are simply gorgeous, and the MyColor option provides for a dizzying array of deep, rich colors (I customized my own burgundy/redfire color when I was playing with it). Too bad the radio and other lighting gives us the "old" style of Ford choices (you can have any color you want as long as it's GREEN). The aluminum dash was the only disappointment in an otherwise nice interior. I was expecting a brushed aluminum look like we see on understated jewelry. Instead we get this "ribbed" tool shed looking texture which I really didn't care for. Ford has some nice cuts of genuine aluminum there but putting those slats in it makes it almost look fake. I think Shea noted this point as well. On a positive note, the scuff plate, steering wheel, and shifter all look quite good

Space. As expected. Not much to add here. I found the cabin to be quite spacious (relative to my SN95), though the improvement is directed toward front passengers. Rear space is very tight, and the slope of the roofline, which is so sexy from outside, leaves tall people without much headroom when sitting in the back seats. Ergonomics were excellent. Nothing seems out of reach or oddly placed. You can literally hop in this car, find everything in a few seconds, and start driving. Comfort was downright exceptional. The seats were firm and supportive, and the leather looked and felt good. I tried several different seating positions, and was able to get comfortable in all of them. Placement was excellent, from the petals, to the armrest, to the shifter. I can't imagine anyone having a problem slipping into this car and feeling right at home.

Miscellaneous. I did snap a few pics (cell pics unfortunately) of the V6 engine bay (don't think we've seen much of these) and I have to say it looks pretty good. LIke a scaled down version of it's big brother. The Manifold dominates the presentation, and the 4.0 does a surprisingly good job of filling the space under the hood. V6 owners can show their motors with pride Trunk space was also quite good, even with the Shaker 1000 subs. Seeing so much of the car in person was also quite an experience. Folks, this vehicle is gorgeous. Side shots are impressive, front views are downright awesome. The foglights strike just the might amount of contrast with what is an otherwise very large grill (though folks who like the "clean" look will prefer the V6 front end) If I had to complain it would be about the rear end. Not because it's bad, but simply because it's ordinary.

Summing it up, I'd say we all owe Ford a pat on the back. They really nailed this one. The TOTAL package is so much greater than the sum of the parts. Almost no egregious compromises with this car. While I can't say that it struck me as extraordinary in any given characteristic (except maybe for styling. Amazing!) the fact that it does SO many things right is quite an engineering and design feat in itself. Using an analogy from the German "Big 4" I would say this car most resembles the last gen (pre Bangle, pre I-drive techno-disaster) BMWs. There are sportier offerings for the purist (namely Porsche), more luxurious offerings for the high-brow crowd (Mercedes), and more refinement for the fit and finish lovers (Audi), but this Stang, like the Beamer, manages to impress on all fronts. Bravo, FMC. A job well done. :worship:
Old 8/20/04, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinb120+August 20, 2004, 7:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ August 20, 2004, 7:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Purple Hayz@August 19, 2004, 11:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-t69r00p69
@August 19, 2004, 10:08 PM

I'm open to speculation at this point. Does the VVT on the mustang kick in at high revs, as is the case with many imports? Either that or simply my lack of experience with a smaller displacement, higher revving motor? I think once I've had some time to adjust my driving style, I may be able to launch that Stang as hard and fast as the Z...
well once the motor is 'set' at say 5mph and you hit it, it will always bog unless you have 500 hp like a viper. If you lightly touch the clutch and allow a little slip just as you do it, I'm sure it flies [/b][/quote]
Agreed. From everything I've heard, I'm fairly convinced that the "problem" was really my driving style. As you note, it's just a matter of keeping the revs up. Can't wait to start driving mine